Why I think Anthony Richardson's in play at #6

Hurts had a career completion percentage number of 65%. Over 10 points higher than AR is right now. Yes his time at Oklahoma in that offensive system, he had like a 69% rate which pulled his Alabama time up some, but he was like in the 63% zone there which is again, much better than AR. AR has one real season of being the man and he produced a miserable 53.8% rate. Allen never had a rate that low finishing his career at 56.2% AR’s 53.8% is considering that he was throwing after buying time off schedule a lot, meaning a lot of throws to wide open guys that sailed. I like him as a prospect, but he’s way more of a project than I think you are wanting to admit. Fixing 53.8 is not going to be a cake walk. Citing a guy like Hurts who wasn’t comparable regarding accuracy does not help your argument IMO.

2 Likes

I figured you would bring this up but I disagree wholeheartedly. That Oklahoma offense schemed guys so wide open anything under 60% would be cause for a benching. It’s the main reason I was so anti-Hurts as a prospect (whoops), his accuracy was terrible at OU. He’d throw behind guys or wouldn’t hit them in stride and in general, cost his wide receivers a lot of yards (I wasn’t alone, virtually every scouting report mentions this).

Now he’s a completely different guy. He hits guys right on the hands even when they’re covered. It couldn’t be more night and day. It’s part of the reason I’ve become more forgiving with accuracy and footwork, I was under the impression it couldn’t be improved. But like the rest of the league, I’ve been proved wrong and come around.

3 Likes

“Hey guys, maybe if we go one more time he will look better. Also the stadium has its nachos and beer special this Saturday”

1 Like

Hurts passed for close to 70% completions at OU and never had a season at Alabama where he was under 60%.

1 Like

And yet still he was inaccurate.

https://www.lineups.com/articles/jalen-hurts-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-2020/

It would be one thing if only one guy said it, but literally every scouting report you go back and read brings up his poor accuracy. And I know because I watched every game he played, then scouted him, and saw all the same things.

He’s improved his accuracy dramatically.

Really? You think that is all it is? Just hoping a guy gets better on the next visit? lol.

A team would go the extra length on a guy they actually like but want to know that his flaws are something that can be coached up. You conveniently leave this out of your realm of possibilities, I assume because you’ve drawn your conclusion having committed here to Goff. I have zero problem with them doing extra homework on a guy they may or may not pick in order to make sure they reach a solid conclusion.

Especially with a guy like Richardson who really only had one season of starting to look at, then could leave for hte pros which is exactly what happened. I mean a lot of these QBs have multiple seasons so you have like six plus games where you’ve looked at him.

Actually my main point is that five trips to a stadium is normal for scouts. Some here took that little bit of info and made it seem like it was an outlier

My speculation is that a team convinced about a prospect probably doesn’t need to see them five times.

My personal conclusion is that the fact they were there five times likely means nothing about how favorable or unfavorable they are to AR. And if they did need to see him five times, there’s a lot of red flags to sort through

Regarding your accusation that I’m merely committed to Goff, I would rebut that Im more committed to the idea of using top draft capital for more immediate needs. We had the 30th ranked defense, our DB group is dismal. We had a top five offense

I’d rather draft Gonzales or Witherspoon at six over a QB we need to teach mechanics to and hope they can become accurate while we pay them 30 million dollars to ride the pine for a few years

Personally, (and I’ve said this a lot) I’d rather see them draft McCall next year in the second or third round as a possible heir to Goff because he fits the mold of QBs Holmes has drafted, he’s crazy accurate and put up a perfect rating off play action. He fits the offense we have been building now for a couple years

I don’t know how true this is but I was reading on Reddit from a FL fan that Richardson spaced too much for the coaching staff and would sometimes process plays that should be automatic way too slow and sail balls wildly

The rumor according to them is there wasn’t even a guarantee he started next year and that’s why he declared. Better to get drafted on tools while people think you’re a lottery ticket than put up another year of potentially bad film

If that’s true then we certainly won’t take him.

1 Like

Wow if those rumors are legit then yeah that would be a “Hell No!” to drafting AR. Of course rumors tend to pop up like Starbucks about prospects this time of year so it’s hard to know what’s real and what isn’t

3 Likes

Yeah, but could also just be Reddit chatter. I do see the allure in a QB prospect with that amount of raw physical talent. If he fell to the late second or third Id be all about taking a flyer on him. It’s entirely possible he takes to coaching and ends up being the best QB in the league in three years

1 Like

He was offered a 13 million dollar NIL deal and Napier didn’t honor some of the contingencies and so he bounced.

AR15 did not get along with Napier. Napier wanted AR15 back, and he would have started, but AR15 didn’t want to play for Napier and there is a rumor that if he had decided to go back to college he would have transferred.

I know a few people connected to the program and they rave about AR……easy to coach, hard working…he is gonna crush the interview process at the combine.
:man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

That’s just it…… it wasn’t five trips to Florida.

It was to five games where Florida was one of the opponents.

Those 5 games were. Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt

Kentucky was @ Florida
Vanderbilt was @ Vanderbilt
Tennessee was @ Florida
Georgia was @ Georgia
Texas A&M was @ Texas A&M

Our scouts actually only went to two Florida games in Florida. Then to 3 games where Florida was the opponent.

They go to every team in the SEC 3 times a year. So there’s always going to be teams they’ve visited 4 and sometimes 5 times as a cross over. It just happens.

If you take a deep dive into the Lions scout team you’ll notice we have several that live or have homes in the south eastern part of the US too.

1 Like

This is how a profile reads when a “talent evaluator” simply copy and pastes “black quarterback.” You just put this guy on blast for not doing his homework. Would you like to highlight his embarassment…I mean name?

Be also killed it deep in 2017-2018… and the 2nd half of 2022…. If guys are open deep Goff finds them

1 Like

Agreed.

I have brought this up numerous times in regards the “5 visits to UF for Richardson” theme promoted here.

Yes, they scouted him heavily, no doubt doing their due diligence and he may be high on their list. But, the opponents matter. SEC is heavily scouted, add in cross checking and you have more games/teams being scouted.

1 Like

So why did a guy who covers the Gators for a living and presumably would know such things point out that it was the 5th Gators game in 11 games the Lions scouted a game with the Gators in it.

Kinda goes against it being routine like you guys are trying to claim for whatever reason

1 Like

Why would they need to be convinced on him in Sept/Oct? I don’t think they are looking at it the way you are whatsoever.

That’s fine, I get it, but that is also agenda driven isn’t it? I mean I could see them agreeing with you, but I could also see them drafting Richardson in the first if they really like him. Because they may be thinking longer term than you are.

Who doesn’t want to draft a high level QB in the 2nd or 3rd? But its a bit of a pipedream. There is a penchant for fans to say lets wait until next year on a QB. Hell, we did it last year (not that there wasn’t good reason), and it turns out that this QB class isn’t quite what a lot of people thought a year ago. A lot can happen between now and next year, I’ll leave it at that.

The ball sailing on Richardson happens on short outs. Its definitely a problem area for him and it has to do with his footwork. JT O’Sullivan’s video is a good breakdown of his flaws. But as he pointed out, despite it all, teams are going to love him in the end because of what he has that can’t be taught.

1 Like

The interview process is going to huge for Richardson. I was listening to Bucky Brooks and DJ talking about how they weren’t really sold on Patrick Mahomes during his draft year until he came into the studio for a visit and they were completely blown away by him. After the interview they were convinced he was the real deal. If there are any head issues with Richardson they will get sorted out in the course of the process by teams who know what they are doing.

2 Likes

We just watched a pipe dream 2nd round QB get to the Super bowl. I’d submit that drafting a project QB at 6 overall, who started barely a year in college with just over 50% completions and expecting him to be the next great QB is as big a pipe dream. But bigger. And riskier

Agenda driven? Sure. If wanting a better defense and a competent DB corps is my agenda then my desire for the Lions to draft one of the top CBs is ‘agenda driven’. I suspect the Lions are thinking long term but not at the expense of fielding a defense that is at least average

I guess my biggest problem is that I watched a bunch of his games. It’s not just on short outs. When you’re barely hitting on half your throws it’s not just short outs you’re missing. Yes he has a crazy arm and escapability but he also needs a lot of coaching. His tools alone should get him drafted in the second or third but some team will overdraft him hoping he can pull it all together. That means paying a backup 30 million dollars to sit on the bench for a couple years

I think it’s been shown pretty thoroughly by other posters here that seeing five FL games isn’t out of the ordinary. So the premise of this entire thread is moot, unless it’s changed to ‘AR is a QB who Lions scouts saw. They may consider him as they do every prospect’