Why I think Anthony Richardson's in play at #6

Damn that is a cool video, I miss seeing those.

Interesting about how he was so consistent in his release angle and speed of the pass, that’s some crazy muscle memory and skill. Also interesting about what they said about needing a little wobble to keep the pass on target.

Really cool stuff thanks for posting

3 Likes

This is what I was talking about during the Super Bowl Game thread. Media hyping up Levis and Richardson due to the Hurts effect.

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

4 Likes

That clip talks about Brees velocity being 52 mph. He’s been tested several times and his velocity has always been 52 mph. By many people standards that means Brees has a weak arm (Not mine)

I’ve brought Brees up many times when people bring up arm strength. Him and Watson are both good examples of QB’s who can throw an accurate deep ball and neither have a particularly strong arm.

This is why I hate the argument people bring up about a QB having a weak arm or too weak an arm to throw a good deep ball.

Example Goff who has a stronger ball velocity than both Watson and Brees.

I think there is definitely a degree of truth to this. Richardson needs to show teams that his accuracy can be corrected with more disciplined footwork. To me, that is the crux of his biggest problem.

I wish they could all be like Joe Burrow or Peyton Manning. Where there was no doubt coming out of college that they would be a great QB. They had the sort of college career that left little to worry about. I think this analysis falls into the Hurts/Fields/Allen type of scouting analysis where its all about projection. Those are more dangerous picks and you need to do a lot of homework, which is why I have no doubt no matter what anybody says, the Lions were scouting him heavily on those UF visits.

But for me, I hate putting all these QBs under a “toolsy” label because each one has their own set of issues. For instance, I don’t think Richardson and Willis are anywhere near the same type of player. They are similar in that they will both need a year, most likely, of good coaching. But Richardson seems more pro ready on the mental side than Willis. I didn’t think Willis always saw the field. I don’t have that same concern with Richardson. Richardson’s main issue is his lack of experience and his footwork. JT O’Sullivan, the former Lion, who does scouting videos now, I’m sure many have seen his videos on youtube, had a nice video on his issues. He gets toes-y on a lot of his throws and doesn’t plant his plant foot like he should. It causes inaccuracy on some balls. But, as he noted, he has some things “in his bag” that you have to be born with. Ability to see the big throw. Great Arm. Throwing on the move. And those things are highly valued by scouts too. He just needs to be more consistent with his accuracy and placement of the ball. Sometimes he is really great with it, sometimes he’s not. Its almost like working with a pitcher in baseball.

Richardson IMHO, really really needs the right situation to thrive in the league. He clearly isn’t the sort of sure thing that Burrow or maybe even Young in this class is (assuming he overcomes his height) I think the Lions situation is set up nicely for him. We would make sure he was coached up with little pressure the first year and play to his strengths if he ever did become the starter. His upside is very high so I’m quite sure some team will take a flyer on him quite high in the draft.

1 Like

Was reading an article last week about scouting. It’s the norm that the regional scout for a major conference must see at least three games for every team. And if a stadium is convenient its common to see several games at a singular stadium to also scout players on the away team.

I don’t think going to the Florida stadium five times portends anything in particular for Richardson. And if we are to take the premise that the Lions did go to Florida games five times to see Richardson, to me that would show more doubt than conviction. Scouting a player probably isn’t like finding a favorite restaurant. You don’t go back five times if you’re convinced he’s the guy

You don’t go five times if you are convinced he’s not the guy too, right?

1 Like

We would be an excellent situation for him I think. Honestly if it were me I’d sit him for at least a year maybe 2 before I hand him the reigns. Not necessarily pounding the table for him, but it seems like BH and DC have built at least a solid infrastructure particularly on offense.

1 Like

I fell for the Malik hype last year. Steelers can’t wait to draft him. Tomlin and Malik are going on dates. Yadda yadda yadda. Not falling for it this year.

1 Like

Hurts had a career completion percentage number of 65%. Over 10 points higher than AR is right now. Yes his time at Oklahoma in that offensive system, he had like a 69% rate which pulled his Alabama time up some, but he was like in the 63% zone there which is again, much better than AR. AR has one real season of being the man and he produced a miserable 53.8% rate. Allen never had a rate that low finishing his career at 56.2% AR’s 53.8% is considering that he was throwing after buying time off schedule a lot, meaning a lot of throws to wide open guys that sailed. I like him as a prospect, but he’s way more of a project than I think you are wanting to admit. Fixing 53.8 is not going to be a cake walk. Citing a guy like Hurts who wasn’t comparable regarding accuracy does not help your argument IMO.

2 Likes

I figured you would bring this up but I disagree wholeheartedly. That Oklahoma offense schemed guys so wide open anything under 60% would be cause for a benching. It’s the main reason I was so anti-Hurts as a prospect (whoops), his accuracy was terrible at OU. He’d throw behind guys or wouldn’t hit them in stride and in general, cost his wide receivers a lot of yards (I wasn’t alone, virtually every scouting report mentions this).

Now he’s a completely different guy. He hits guys right on the hands even when they’re covered. It couldn’t be more night and day. It’s part of the reason I’ve become more forgiving with accuracy and footwork, I was under the impression it couldn’t be improved. But like the rest of the league, I’ve been proved wrong and come around.

3 Likes

“Hey guys, maybe if we go one more time he will look better. Also the stadium has its nachos and beer special this Saturday”

1 Like

Hurts passed for close to 70% completions at OU and never had a season at Alabama where he was under 60%.

1 Like

And yet still he was inaccurate.

https://www.lineups.com/articles/jalen-hurts-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-2020/

It would be one thing if only one guy said it, but literally every scouting report you go back and read brings up his poor accuracy. And I know because I watched every game he played, then scouted him, and saw all the same things.

He’s improved his accuracy dramatically.

Really? You think that is all it is? Just hoping a guy gets better on the next visit? lol.

A team would go the extra length on a guy they actually like but want to know that his flaws are something that can be coached up. You conveniently leave this out of your realm of possibilities, I assume because you’ve drawn your conclusion having committed here to Goff. I have zero problem with them doing extra homework on a guy they may or may not pick in order to make sure they reach a solid conclusion.

Especially with a guy like Richardson who really only had one season of starting to look at, then could leave for hte pros which is exactly what happened. I mean a lot of these QBs have multiple seasons so you have like six plus games where you’ve looked at him.

Actually my main point is that five trips to a stadium is normal for scouts. Some here took that little bit of info and made it seem like it was an outlier

My speculation is that a team convinced about a prospect probably doesn’t need to see them five times.

My personal conclusion is that the fact they were there five times likely means nothing about how favorable or unfavorable they are to AR. And if they did need to see him five times, there’s a lot of red flags to sort through

Regarding your accusation that I’m merely committed to Goff, I would rebut that Im more committed to the idea of using top draft capital for more immediate needs. We had the 30th ranked defense, our DB group is dismal. We had a top five offense

I’d rather draft Gonzales or Witherspoon at six over a QB we need to teach mechanics to and hope they can become accurate while we pay them 30 million dollars to ride the pine for a few years

Personally, (and I’ve said this a lot) I’d rather see them draft McCall next year in the second or third round as a possible heir to Goff because he fits the mold of QBs Holmes has drafted, he’s crazy accurate and put up a perfect rating off play action. He fits the offense we have been building now for a couple years

I don’t know how true this is but I was reading on Reddit from a FL fan that Richardson spaced too much for the coaching staff and would sometimes process plays that should be automatic way too slow and sail balls wildly

The rumor according to them is there wasn’t even a guarantee he started next year and that’s why he declared. Better to get drafted on tools while people think you’re a lottery ticket than put up another year of potentially bad film

If that’s true then we certainly won’t take him.

1 Like

Wow if those rumors are legit then yeah that would be a “Hell No!” to drafting AR. Of course rumors tend to pop up like Starbucks about prospects this time of year so it’s hard to know what’s real and what isn’t

3 Likes

Yeah, but could also just be Reddit chatter. I do see the allure in a QB prospect with that amount of raw physical talent. If he fell to the late second or third Id be all about taking a flyer on him. It’s entirely possible he takes to coaching and ends up being the best QB in the league in three years

1 Like

He was offered a 13 million dollar NIL deal and Napier didn’t honor some of the contingencies and so he bounced.

AR15 did not get along with Napier. Napier wanted AR15 back, and he would have started, but AR15 didn’t want to play for Napier and there is a rumor that if he had decided to go back to college he would have transferred.

I know a few people connected to the program and they rave about AR……easy to coach, hard working…he is gonna crush the interview process at the combine.
:man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes