Why is our defense so bad?

We have Hutch, he was supposed to be an upgrade to Flowers. We have Okudah, who has quickly become a lockdown CB for us and AO was supposed to be good. We have Analzone and Rodgrigo, maybe Rodrigo is the real deal or maybe he’s only the starter out of necessity, idk. We have Alim inside who is grading-out well. Walker was playing well, Elliott seems decent as well.

So why are we so pathetically awful?

3 Likes

They say we have no talent , but I see plenty of talent some are young and need to get better. But we have talent. As to why we’re bad IDK maybe it’s the system

Every team has a “hutch” and an “okudah” maybe us lions fans are so fixated on our team that we forgot what life is really like “out there.” Even though our defense is better…We are REALLY talent deficient.

I think we’re forgetting how bad things were last year…we are legit starting and getting meaningful reps from waiver wire guys. A lot of our starters would be competing for playing time elsewhere…

6 Likes

But this time last year we just held the Ravens to 19 points.

I really have no answer to the OP. I don’t even think our scheme is that bad either, but something is up.

Maybe we’re easier to gameplan for because we actually have people to focus on now???

1 Like

They get gassed by the end of the 3rd. The drop off when you go to the backups, both inside and outside line, and linebackers is “noticeable”.
The starters are getting worn out, and we’ve got a full-time backup at DT. The Commish was the fit, but, even he was another teams cast off.

2 Likes

I know I will take some flak for this, but…AG is not getting it done. We have a few play makers (Hutch, Rodrigo, Okudah) but we still get no pressure when needed and it seems we have a lot of miscommunication on the defensive side. This all rest on AG’s shoulders. How does this defense go from last year giving up 27.5/game to this year at a 31/game pace when adding Hutch and Rodrigo and basically adding Okudah?

2 Likes

This is the correct answer.

Glenn’s scheme isnt translating into onfield production. Part of it talent issues up the middle…well more than a little part.

The rest? Mistakes in execution and the NFL has decided its a scoring league, amd as such, its really hard to cover guys snap in, snap out.

They have to have consistent middle pressure AND contain /edge pressure on most passing downs, and then mix it up with max cover and delayed blitzes etx.

Defense is hard and at a disadvantage to start. It takes a long time to build a good defense because its only as good as its weakest link.

THATS WHY THAT STUPID STUPID ARROGANT SHITHEAD blew his own face off from the start. That D was 1 more “guy” and 2 solid starters from being absolutely terrifying…one offseason…

And he and Smaaaht guy piledrove it 6 feet under in a matter of weeks.

Dirtbag clowns.

3 Likes

So far. It’s impossible to argue with this right now, but I’m hoping there are better things to come with AG. He’s clearly well liked and respected - but I can’t see him getting a HC job with such a lack of productivity. So I think he’ll be here a little longer. His unit needs more talent, I’ll give him that, but he’s clearly not getting the most out of his guys which is what you want out of a coach.

Despite having some pieces that we like, we are extremely undermanned on defense. We have spent 7th lowest amount on defense and we are without our single highest player, Romeo $12.3M APY and without 2nd round draft picks Levi and Paschal. With Romeo, I’d imagine Hutch would move inside more on passing downs with Romeo and Harris on the edges.

Now without Walker, we are down $24.6M of talent on defense to $60M, far below the $103M AVG and the league leading Eagles at $131M.

As far as I know, Levi didn’t have an injury history in college. Romeo and Walker didn’t have an injury histories. Paschal had an hernia that he aggravated during mini camp, that’s on the Lions training staff for letting him play/practice without it fully healed.

We are extremely undermanned on defense.

7 Likes

Not every team has a Hutch, he was a top pick for a reason.

It’s obvious why the defense is awful. They’re too young in a lot of areas, too injured and just not talented enough in other areas. We all knew the defense would be a major weakness for these very reasons and…here we are. This is still a roster very much steeped in a rebuild so expect more pain until we see the gain.

3 Likes

Board and Barnes need to play more and Anzalone needs to play less. Anzalone has not proven he is a every down linebacker, he has played over 90% of all three games. They say he knows AG defense, but he lacks talent. Teach another linebacker the play calls, AG not doing that is lazy, and will hurt this team in the long run. That is not the total fix, but it will definitely help. Board has played well all season and Barnes had a good pre-season and played well enough in the Eagles game to warrant more snaps. This is a resource that is some what untapped in my opinion. The staff refusal to take Anzalone off the field is mind boggling to me.

1 Like

Wow, didn’t see that coming :wink:

4 Likes

Hutch, Alim and Harris are not enough. Alim needs a dog next to him (you know, what Levi was supposed to be) and Hutch needs someone to set the edge opposite him (you know, what Paschal was supposed to be).

We’re pathetically awful because we drafted players to fill vital roles who are unable to contribute because they are injured.

2 Likes

Is that really the only reason our defense is as bad as it is?
It’s all Anzalone’s fault? Surely, there’s more to it than that.
dont-call-me-shirley-shirley

3 Likes

Good grief charlie brown. Did you miss the football again.

Charlie Brown Football GIF

2 Likes

Suh woukd look good next to Alim…… just saying.

I

4 Likes

Why is our defense so bad?

1. We rarely get pressure without blitzing
  2. We rarely stop the run with just our front 6.
  3. We all love the Rodrigo story but our level of LB play has been subpar for years
  4. Our secondary has been terrible since we let Slay go.

We have a handful of guys that would start on other teams but the majority wouldn’t. When you are forced to blitz to get pressure, good teams will make you pay for it. If you aren’t getting INT’s or sacks, you are playing with fire.

Our offensive line is pretty much set for the next couple of years. We can plug/play some WR’s, TE’s, RB’s in but I think the real FA $$ & draft capital needs to be defense, defense, defense.

5 Likes

I mean I legit saw hutch getting tripled at times (when he wasn’t held). how you can’t get pressure when that happens is beyond me.

2 Likes

This is another example of the hometown. In NO other draft would hutchinson be a #2 overall pick. It was a historically bad (at the top) draft last year. Any other year he would have went in the teens. JJ watt went 11. TJ went at 30.

He might have a high ceiling but what hutchinson is providing for us RIGHT NOW other teams have…and then some. For example they have a supporting cast to free him up to do his thing.

We get excited every year because we draft new talent so in our minds “WE GOT BETTER.” News flash every single team added talent as well

A little over the top, we’re better then this , there are a lot more players that would start on other teams.

Weasel had a pretty good post. You sound like your playing in the 70s.

I think the biggest reason the defense doesn’t take the next step is because Holmes has failed to get us a pass rushing DT. Levi can’t get on the field , then he gets Pascal who also can’t get on the field, we have been lacking that important pieces yet he keeps gambling on hurt players and has not help the position one bit. So now we’re trying to find others to fill that roll while weakening other position.

The eagles are consider a top defense yet they gave up 31 to the lions the Lions D gave up the same 31. We’re closer then some think but missing on that inside guy is making taking the next step harder. Stop drafting this position and go out a get one. Payne would look good next to McNiel and would make a hudge difference in our D. Then you can keep rotating Pascal and Levi of the IR list.

2 Likes