Why wouldn't a team just trade up to 1

With only No 6 overall and no additional picks until No 137 overall, I think it’s going to be difficult for Carolina to trade up. They just can’t put together the trade packages ATL or SEA can.

2 Likes

I’m assuming OP is responding to the folks saying “yeah let’s build the hype around willis to Det @2” with hopes of teams trading up with US for willis. I’ve seen that MULTIPLE times over the past weeks and it NEVER made sense to me.

Maybe I’m reading it all wrong.

1 Like

Especially Seattle. Although I can see Atlanta making a statement after parting with the long time legend Ryan.

If that happens, that’s great for the Lions. Then they get their first choice of defensive players.

They’d have to put a future 1st in.

I mean yeah great from your perspective we have no idea how they view these guys. They may see an edge guy they can grab late (aka ARSB) and see positional value in grabbing what they see as a franchise QB at 2.

For all we know it may be our guy. It’s also likely willis falls out of the top 15 and all this is just media hype. But willis IS making a josh Allen style late rise. Browns have even went on record saying they would have taken him 1OA in a redraft.

Once the Lions paid Goff the $15.5M roster bonus on the first day of the new league year, that pretty much signaled that the Lions are sticking with Goff in 2022.

The Lions only need for teams to believe that someone is willing to trade up to No 2 for Willis, not that the Lions intend to take him.

1 Like

You say that like it’s a bad thing, when in fact it’s the secret to the Den’s success. :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The problem with that is if a team does covet Willis and they see Carolina lets say trade up to 2, they would likely try like heck to trade for that 1OA. Then if you are Carolina you gave up 90% of the resources it would have taken to get Willis and you still didn’t get him because another team spent 10% more than you did. Then what… egg in face as you try to trade back down or take Hutch and be like it’s what we wanted all the tiiiiiime… yeahhhhh… But you shot your wad and didn’t get your QB…

3 Likes

And that’s why I’m not buying the Lions are going to draft Willis at 2 that I’ve seen a lot of talk about. I think it’s a smokescreen to try to get a possible trade brewing.

1 Like

This is why I don’t think anything happens until draft night. We know Jacksonville isn’t going QB, maybe they take an OT and Hutch the hometown hero is there for the Lions. If I’m a GM I call the Lions bluff at 2 and focus in on a team like Houston. If the Jags take Hutch I may be inclined to offer a little more to get to 2.

3 Likes

Yep, Holmes and Dorsey will have played every scenario through multiple times before the draft. We are still one month away.

I don’t see the aliens making any trade until they’re in the clock.

Yeah but the real question is do the aliens make the trade pre-probe or post probe?

I guarantee the trade would be out of this world though!

Lol. That’s like the 5th time my iPad changed Lions into aliens today.

I’ll let it be. Why not. Must be a sign from the stars.

Texting my son about dinner, I had the complete name of the restaurant typed and hit the space bar, it changed it to something unrelated and not close.

1 Like

If the Lions want Hutchinson at #2, they need to sell teams looking for a QB that they are considering Willis at #2.

That way someone moves up to #1 so Aiden falls to #2.

3 Likes

Mid-probe, and Da Aliens ain’t in no hurry. They ain’t no One Minute Man.

1 Like

This makes sense but not for all the talk about IS trading down.

This.