Wilkins to the Raiders

I just had an epiphany. No way in hell are the Raiders winning a super bowl by paying guys like Wilkins $110M out of free agency.

I was surprised the Lions were linked at all. Going after Wilkins didn’t make sense to me when Alim is a free agent next season.

I am glad we didn’t sign him.

1 Like

https://x.com/TomPelissero/status/1767242802717405422?s=20

More than likely just reporters/agents throwing names out there to drive clicks and interest from more fans.

2 Likes

Might need to draft a McNeill replacement this yr or next if we can’t get him to sign a $15M/yr’ish reasonable contract before he hits the market.

In today’s NFL…unless it’s a prime-Donald-esque FREAK…you’re better just drafting cheap talents and dumping them before they get paid, and mixing them with cheap veteran signings.

$25-30M/yr DTs is not a recipe for success

That’s a lot of cheddar.

As always, if you want big name free agents, you have to overpay. Holmes isn’t that guy.

2 Likes

You guys look at the splashy names too much. Teams don’t win on Free Agency Day 1.

Wilkins is a good player who is getting paid as an elite player. He’s great at run defending which the Lions are already great at and is ok at pass rushing but it was never a big strength of his. He’s not Aaron Donald, he’s not Madubuike. Not upset about losing out on him.

None of the deals done today were done today if you know what I mean, they’ve been finalised today but the deals were done in principle before the nonsense legal tampering period. Agents leak fake interest from other teams on the eve of free agency to get deals over the line.

I wouldn’t believe anything the media says about anything on the eve of free agency. The Lions aren’t going to leak who they’re interested in, so the only source for interest can be the agent, and their purpose is to maximise the contract value of their client.

Agree with this. I think Brad realises that you don’t get good value by paying top of the market money for external players. He said it himself, he’s much happier giving money to players he already has in the building, and he’s very deliberate in the moves he doesn’t make.

He also said to not expect him to change the way he’s been doing things, and that’s being extremely selective in free agency. Jamaal, Montgomery and Sutton are the only external players to get multi year deals across three free agency periods. My bet is he adds one more player to that list, and it won’t be one of the top five guys money wise at whatever position.

So he got 4 mil more than most expected. He is a top notch nose tackle who still gets sacks. He is a team leader. And Crosby is gonna love him!

I’ve come to accept that Brad may never win Day 1 of free agency. Guess we’ll have to wait until December for our victories…
I Want It Now Parks And Recreation GIF

2 Likes