Wojo: Jared Goff still bothered (and fueled) by negativity

Full article at the link

Wojo: Jared Goff still bothered (and fueled) by negativity

For the record, I think most in the media recognize how good the Lions are, and still can be. Most endorse Goff being the quarterback here for the foreseeable future, and landing a hefty contract extension soon. Fans have embraced him with a level of exuberance rarely seen or heard, with “Jared Goff!” chants breaking out in all sorts of venues, from arenas to grocery stores.

Also for the record, when Goff uses a particular press-conference moment as an example of excess negativity, as he did in the podcast, he’s talking about me, which is perfectly fine. He referenced our light-hearted exchange the week before the NFC title game, in which I semi-clumsily asked if it was an opportunity for the Lions’ stars to measure themselves against the 49ers’ superstars.

His response was both polite and pointed, and the minute-long clip spread across the Internet. Goff noted Amon-Ra St. Brown was first-team All-Pro, as was Penei Sewell. He ended it with a chuckle, no harm, no scowl, evidence of his subtle humor.

“I know what you’re getting at,” he said. “I think we’ve got a ton of great players who maybe haven’t had the national stage up to this point that other guys have.”

Popular teammate

Goff used the moment to praise his own players, which he regularly does, one of the reasons he’s so popular with teammates. I can’t speak for all my ink-soiled peers, but I generally gravitate toward the positive in sports. Problem is, it’s been a rough stretch of negativity with Detroit’s other teams, and the Lions occasionally catch collateral damage. I often use references to their historical struggles or underdog status to accentuate their current success, and fans do the same thing.

And yes, it can get tiresome.

We’ve even seen flashes of irritation from the personable Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell.

Delete

So here is the problem with any fandom is you are already in too deep most likely.

That tends to color your opinion in an emotional way up and down.

With that said, in pro sports if you are not making the playoffs you have sucked. Most of the leagues now let in damn near half the teams. So the expectation is that a well run org should be in the top half of the league. So it is hard to argue a team is any good unless they are in the playoffs. It is just that simple.

The Lions now need to maintain this level and we will be all set. But good orgs do not yoyo all over the place. Yes they might have a bad season due to injury or some odd things but in general good orgs win at a predictable rate.

Goff has been over-praised by media, and fans. Goff needs to stop worrying about the media and start worrying about those wobblers he throws.

EDIT: Really though. For the most part (if not always) I see media, and fans praising the guy. He gets his name chanted everywhere. Everyone agrees he’s played his best football here. Everyone gets criticized. Stafford got criticized to death. It’s no secret that I personally think Goff is not a great QB. I’m not even sure he’s a good QB. Those wobblers are real. He throws the ugliest football in the NFL. His team is a superbowl contender. He’s about to make a billion dollars he probably doesn’t deserve. Like move on guy.

Pretty sure nobody here listens to you at this point, still feel free to blather on and on…word of unsolicited advice, make an effort to refrain from responding with words that tend to land you in the penalty box…Ace

4 Likes

Look up the worst pass Goff ever threw. Ever in his life. The wobbliest wounded duck to ever leave his hand

That’s basically your posts. Every time

2 Likes

Bored Cat GIF

3 Likes

I wonder if Jared is making these statements to motivate himself. He’s definitely putting pressure on himself.

3 Likes

Goff went through the fire with McVay. The press in detroit is easy compared with dealing with a coach who no longer likes you (annoying, but easy). If I had to guess, he has his teammates in mind (i.e. Jamo took a lot of heat at various points).

4 Likes

I have a really hard time understanding this reply. I had to check back at what I wrote a few times thinking “wait, what did I say?” I’m very well aware that while it’s okay to criticize coaches like AG, or other players like Jamo, any criticism of Goff is not allowed, and i’ll get very disturbing replies like yours. It’s been established how much people will actually hate me, and take things personal over it. I’m pretty sure in real life, I’d have to fear for my safety. That’s how disturbing people like you are.

I support Goff because he’s the starting QB. Same way I supported Daunte Culpepper when he was. Doesn’t mean they’re exempt from criticism.

Outside of Goff, if people don’t like my opinions, thats cool. If no one “listens” to me anymore, then why are you replying to me? I’m fine with it. But I won’t be tossed aside, or bullied by deranged people like you.

Really tho, avoid what words? Wobbler? I mean was this like a warning, or threat? So, weird.

I’m so sorry Goff throws ugly footballs. Life is hard sometimes.