Wonderlic, Schmunderlic: The S2 Cognition Test Is Where It's At

Its all very scientific. Here is the hiring pricess I used

Take your IQ, divide it by your Wonderlic and you get your Expected Grade Point Average.

Compare that to your actual Grade Point Average and you get GPA+, where 100 is EGPA equivalent to GPA.

Now, use the following weighting factors

Ivy League 1.25
Big Ten 1.1
SEC -1.33
CMU -1.87

and you get Weighted Expected Grade Point Average+.

Which meant JFS to me.

Now, answer the Classic Interview Question
What is your Greatest Weakness?

If you answer something like “Sometimes I care too much” or “I outwork my peers so Im not popular” or “I dont have one”

This Happened

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF
and then

2 Likes

Made bad decisions or was highly inaccurate? Games I watched he found open receivers, then threw the ball at their ankles, which makes me believe it can be fixed with footwork and technique.

One of the smartest men I know has the worst people skills and is the hardest to work with because he’s smarter than everyone. He’s in his 50’s and I don’t think he’s ever been on a date.

My point is there is an issue with being too smart for the job. Smarter is not always better.

Most of these tests have parameters. There is such a thing as being too high and too low.

If too high they won’t be good at their job because it doesn’t challenge them enough. If too low they can’t handle the needs of the job.

1 Like

I once took a personality test and failed. :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

Seriously though, DISC testing is also very common. That’s actually a very insightful test tool and can really help out in putting your employees in the best position to succeed. That’s a tool I’ve found great success with, and after having used it for awhile, has helped me discern personality traits during the interview process that aid in shortening the learning curve.

1 Like

He’s gone way before we pick. Like #1 now.

That’s not what is being said.

Job performance is a function of dozens of variables, and it’s often tough to tease out the individual contributions of those variables.

However, across industries and job types, organizational behavior researchers have been consistently able to correlate more cognitive ability with better performance.

That doesn’t mean the other factors aren’t still an important part. A ultra-high-IQ person who is deficient in all other areas won’t perform as well as a high-IQ person who has decent aptitude in other areas. But that’s a function of the deficiencies, not the cognitive ability.

I took it … I’m an AD personality.

I do think it’s helpful in managing different personalities.

2 Likes

Good to have in your pocket around these parts.

1 Like

I agree and that’s really my point. It’s better to be well
Rounded.

This is the name of my garage band, though we’re tweaking it to Functional Deficiencies

Hey hey now Western Grad I heard your library burned down and the students were mad that they hadn’t colored all the books in yet.

1 Like

Wild, my brother’s post-grunge dance band is called Dysfunctional Efficiencies. I’m sensing a co-headlining tour.

1 Like

When the Panthers traded up to #1, my first thought was Anthony Richardson. I thought there wasn’t enough separation between Young and Stroud to warrant such a leap.

But when the trade happened AR’s elite S2 results were known and the processing potential was confirmed. To me, that put the Panthers in overdrive for him.

On the slimmest of chances that I’m wrong–cue the laugh track–I’d hope that Brad trades up to #3 for Anthony Richardson. I am serious. (No emoji means I’m serious.)

So from what I’ve been able to gather, Bryce Young scored the highest (93, which is amongst the best ever, just above Burrow, Fields and Josh Allen and just below Purdy’s 95), Will Levis was right behind him and in that ballpark as well, and Richardson was right behind that, in the same area as Mahomes.

But Stroud?

1 Like

For tests like this… Our society tends to put way too much weight into them. IQ tests are incredibly subjective and biased. How do you even define inteligence? There are all kinds of skills that make people successful at all sorts of things. Truly measuring these things, and putting it into a score… ignores the intricacies of people. And once you start trying to do that… you get bias all over. Even doing things like using basic shapes / colors, etc… you still get different scores out of people based on their languages and learning mindsets (Eastern vs Western Teachings for example) Now some of these things can be a tool to understand how someone learns… for learning how to teach to people… but measuring people based tests like this is an error filled endevour.

Now, to the Quarterbacking. Looking at an inteligence based test… filled with errors, then looking at the athleticism of a prospect is ignoring main things that make a good QB.

1. The ability to think critically and make decisions while things are moving at blurring speeds all around you… (Going through progressions). Its like a combo of understanding schemes, and focus / reaction times of a fighter pilot.

2. Accurate throwing ability while being able to process / handle the pocket. (Some players have accurate arms in practice, but never make it… because when forced to do the 1st thing, they have breakdowns and are no longer accurate.

3. Emotional Intelligence. Being able to control your own feelings through the ups and downs, handle immense pressure, able to communicate with coaches / teammates to achieve goals, etc.

Notice that none of these things are 40 times or jumping abilities. On Tape, Richardson has a hard time with number 1 and 2. Maybe he can improve since he is young and inexperienced… From interviews and such… he might have number 3 which gives you a better chance that he can grow. But especially #1 is a hard trait to learn. I think a lot of times you either have it or you don’t.

2 Likes

The twitter video linked above states that no QB in the past 7 drafts has scored low on the S2 test and then had success in the MFL…

while Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, and Brock Purdy are known to have high scores. Purdy isn’t a long-term proven QB yet, Shanahan did say he was more ready than any rookie QB he has coached.
Drew Brees was also a top scorer.

1 Like

Lower down in this article, it’s states for 2023 ….

16 teams will have new OC’s?!

I’m glad we are not one of them

I do understand the dangers of that and how blinders can form. Yet the correlation noted in the twitter video and highlighted by Phunnypharm is really hard to ignore.

Of course a lot of other traits are necessary for elite QBs. But this tested trait appears to be pretty predictive once the base line of the other traits is met.

Which is more disqualifying: Young’s size because we can see it or Stroud’s S2 score because we can’t readily see it?

Yeah it just seems logical to me that making the right decision quickly is a great trait for a QB to have. And I’m sure the answers aren’t ambiguous either. It’s gonna be something like plugging a shape into the correctly shaped hole as quickly as possible. There’s no biases involved in something like that.

4 Likes