Wonderlic, Schmunderlic: The S2 Cognition Test Is Where It's At

According to this Athletic article (paywalled):

I’ve never even heard of it before today, but I can easily see how it translates to predicting player success at certain positions in the NFL. Brock Purdy’s–and Joe Burrow’s–early success can be understood in part through the results of this test, which has been around since 2015. The test reveals how quickly you can process complex situations and respond properly, if I understand it correctly.

It’s privileged information, so we won’t know the scores for Anthony Richardson or other QBs, but Brad and every other GM will.

Am I the last one to hear about this?

4 Likes

I just read about it for the first time the other day (I believe when I read that article). Really wish we had access to the numbers.

1 Like

Cognitive tests are all the rage today. Apply for a high level job and your likely taking a cognitive test of some kind. I personally have been using them about 5 years now.

I use cognitive testing when deciding between final candidates. I’ve taken several versions of these tests myself.

The employer sets the standards used to measure success. Ultimately you want to have successful individuals take these tests and you begin to see a pattern as to what makes a good candidate for a particular position.

The S2 test is done by having athletes take a variety of cognitive test and this helps teams determine if they will be successful.

They wouldn’t really mean anything to you.

There’s no such thing as right or wrong on these tests. It’s a test that tells you the prospects cognitive makeup.

Employers will value attributes differently.

Want to take a cognitive test. There’s plenty of examples on line.

1 Like

Never heard of it, but found a reddit thread.

1 Like

Idiocracy Test GIF - Idiocracy Test Genius - Discover & Share GIFs

6 Likes

I suspect the cognition tests for business are far different than the S2 tests. It seems to focus at a reactionary, subliminal level, and it seems to measure response to chaotic situations like those encountered on the football field. Of course, this is all new to me.

Thank you for making my cognate of this cognitive test :crazy_face:

I had a surprise wonderlic test once for a job interview. Bastards gave it to me first thing before I was even fully awake yet. I wouldn’t call it a memorization test. It is however a test that if you study for you would do much better than if you don’t study for. I really doubt its usefullness with NFL players other than recognizing pure idiots that can’t spell their own name. And even some of those are pretty good football players.

The wonderlic was basically a speed test and if you don’t make educated guesses and move quickly you won’t score that well. 50 questions in 12 minutes. You take a couple of minutes to answer one of the tougher questions and you’re toast.

New Rule - All Den members must take the S2 cognition test and the score they received should be indicated in their profile for easy reference when reading their posts! Ha ha I kid.

5 Likes

Another company comes up with a BS test filled with bias and results that don’t really measure much. Personality tests, iq, the wonderlick, now this one. It doesn’t take much to make up a test and convince people it will make evaluation easier.

1 Like

I much prefer people skills, like Coach Campbell has.

office space GIF by Maudit

And, yes I’m joking around, but people skills really do matter when done right!

2 Likes

Your dismissal of pre-work testing is misinformed.

Cognitive ability especially is strongly correlated to job success, independent of the career type. Basically, smarter employees tend to be better at their jobs, whether they’re rocket scientists, garbage men, or even football message board admins. Outside of work samples, cognitive ability is the single strongest predictor of job success.

Personality testing is less important, but there is a well-accepted correlation between some personality aspects (conscientiousness is one that I remember) and job performance. Some researchers contend there are other correlations, but that’s not as universally agreed-upon. That probably is more role-dependant.

https://www.annualreviews.org/doi/10.1146/annurev-orgpsych-031413-091255

3 Likes

Absolutely agree.

I think the cognition that S2 tests is about focus, patterns, recognition in milliseconds, and various eye metrics. If that’s the case, it’s easy to see why that’s important information in evaluating QBs and safeties. I imagine the cognition most other normal jobs value involves longer, more abstract tasks and problems.

I’d think that would be especially valuable in estimating the ceilings for young, inexperienced QBs like Anthony Richardson. Just my guess…

Uh ah! Don’t be ■■■■■■■ with Nate. We just got him trained.

2 Likes

Depends on the cognitive test your taking.

Questions maybe different but the tests and how their used are very similar.

1 Like
2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

If AR15 truly aced S2…might make me re-consider Richardson as top-8 pick.

1 Like

I’m not dismissing this test, or any other workout metric, but if he aced this test, then why didn’t it show up consistently as an actual QB in college? He made so many bad decisions over and over.
I agree about his potential, I’d love to have the kid as the clipboard holder for a year or two. But, based on watching him play football, on no planet can i get behind a top 5 pick… or top 15 for that matter.

…Even though Detroit is one of the best destinations for him. And I trust Brad…

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

1 Like