Merits of Drafting Will Levis

Maybe in general draft media that’s true, but any of the in-depth guys (i.e., the ones worth listening to) are all over it.

Tell me what they have said, I am curious. To be fair I will give a snippet of what I saw.

• The first one is the easiest. From an arm strength standpoint, he can make every throw you would ask of him within the normal structure of the play. He can’t fall backwards and use pure arm strength to deliver a firing hot chili pepper 20 yards down field with velocity like Stroud and Richardson can. He might be able to “get it there,” but not to NFL standards. I call this one easy because all he has to do is avoid situations where things like that might be required, like Goff…or even Tom Brady.

• That’s where things get tricky in a hurry. Bryce seems to miss quite a few throws that are open within the structure of the play in favor of holding onto the ball and turning everything into a scramble drill. Many of his “OMG that was awesome” scrambling throws were unnecessary.

• There are times that I am left wondering if he is scrambling because he is having issues seeing thru the throwing lanes to the receiver. There is something about the film that makes it look like he is trying to get deeper into the backfield to see more, or he likes it better when the pass rush is more developed and bigger openings are available out of structure. I have no idea what it is exactly and I am sure there are multiple reasons and each situation is unique.

There…I started it. :grin:

3 Likes

Ha, well those are three of the main issues and any evaluator with his salt should bring them up. I’ve also heard:

• Throws off his back foot in the face of perceived pressure.
  • Play style leads to big hits.
  • Overcompensates for lack of ideal arm strength on deep balls, lets them go too early and overthrows his receivers.
  • Unorthodox backpedal, never taken snaps from under center.
  • Often skips the easy play for a chance at a home run.

Others wax poetic about his playmaking which I admit, can oftentimes be exceptional. But as you mentioned can also get him in trouble. The main reason I’m so high on him is his problem-solving ability. What a perfect strength for a guy with size problems. It’s that more than anything else that leads me to believe he’ll overcome not only his size issues, but some of his decision-making. You don’t often see him making the same mistake twice.

1 Like

I have to add to his one because some people will come away with the impression that he is just aggressive and wants to push the ball down field more. Thats understandable. Sometimes you get your hand caught in the cookie jar and that’s life. But the way I would change the language of that statement is that he will sometimes turn down the easy throw in favor of running around and throwing a hero ball.

Here is a taste. There is at least 1 guy by anyone’s definition that is open to receive a pass. I see multiple viable options but let’s eliminate some. 19 and 7 will cross and get open by any NFL definition in their respective areas. So why TF did he take a sack on this play?

2 Likes

It’s one of Russ’s worst qualities and the thing that is gonna end his career prematurely if Payton can’t get him to change his ways.

3 Likes

Jeremiah seems to think the Raiders and the Titans want to move up to take Richardson. If that was the case, then it makes more sense for Indy to take Levis. I’ve heard this Titans/Cards chatter more than once. So we’ll see…

Bryce definitely likes to scramble. That is his style. I think it’s most similar to Aaron Rodgers. He likes to scramble to throw, not to run. If you want a strictly pocket passer, he’s not your guy.

1 Like

I wonder if Bryce owes some of his play style to Evan Neal. Because that guy was basically a turnstile for Bryce and he certainly had to get in the habit of scrambling.

1 Like

Probably AR. Seahawks have been pretty open about their interest. So then…

Carolina - Stroud
Houston - Young
Titans - AR
Colts - Levis
Seahawks - Anderson
Lions -

3 Likes

And he apparently had the next best S2 Cognition result for upper tier QBs behind Bryce Young.

1 Like

The pro style offense angle is definitely something not to be overlooked. It doesn’t mean everything, but it helps with projecting.

1 Like

Zierlein is also not budging on Anthony Richardson. I think it was you or another poster who said he’s even admitted that he got burned by thinking Malik Willis was so good.

Jeopardy style, The answer to the question:

What is, “there aren’t any”?

2 Likes

Yeah he’s holding firm. And I’m still not sure Richardson goes as high as he’s being mocked now. He could definitely fall to 5 for Seattle or even 6 for us, or even beyond that. I’d be surprised if he made it past 11 or 12 ish, but it wouldn’t be totally shocking. He’s a much better prospect than Willis so he’s not going in the 3rd round, but he could absolutely slide from where he’s being mocked now.

Or he could go first overall lol

1 Like

what is this?

1 Like

Ewers won the job

He’ll have to keep winning it every week… though I think even if he starts all year Arch will wait. He seems like a patient guy.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.