Would You Make This Trade Up?

Them guys (Holmes and company) had a complete raging hard on for Levi O thinking they found their Aaron Donald.

Trading up for Carter is a real possibility

But- they’ve stood pat and let the draft come to them for the first pick so far … time will tell

\take a close look at Ohio State game an The LSU game see if you can find Carter an those are not only games .when he plays his very good but he took a lot to time off in games I like him but i feel he is being built up better by media than he is.

Solid pick worth beans NO

1 Like

I just don’t agree with that at all. Or I guess it’s better to say I think it’s a major misconception.

And most of that boils down to what Georgia asks their defensive lineman to do. Carter was not allowed to rush the passer on most of his snaps. His job was to take up blockers to open up lanes for LBs. That’s the way Georgia has designed their defense and it’s hard to argue with the results. Last year Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt and Travon Walker were all knocked for their lack of production. This is why. Carter was further down the rotation in 2021 and allowed to attack more often. This year he had to take over some of Davis, Wyatt and Walker’s duties.

On the rare occasion he was allowed to attack this year, he did things to offensive linemen that should be illegal. Including the very first play of the Ohio State game, when he smoked the offensive lineman and was in on Stroud, only for the Ohio St. QB to make a great play and escape. Once Stroud showed a level of escapability that he hadn’t shown all season, Georgia changed their defensive gameplan to be less attacking so they wouldn’t get burned by Stroud’s movement (and they still got burned plenty, but that was the fault of the LBs and edge guys).

Physically, I’ve never seen anyone Carter’s size move with the kind of twitch he has. He’s like a defensive back along the interior. Who’s 300+ pounds and strong af. How totally unfair.

He doesn’t lack a work ethic (just listen to everything everyone in that program says about him), but he has a laid-back personality. This gets misinterpreted as laziness, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

1 Like

I’m not sure I would take Carter at #6 so I’m definitely not trading up for him. When they talked about taking Aiden last draft and Sewell the draft before, they talked about drafting guys with ZERO doubts.

I don’t think anyone doubted Sewell. I think much of the Aiden doubt was likely from anti-Michigan people (even if it was a bit subconscious).

Carter’s motor is definitely in doubt. His love of the game is in doubt. Those are the type of things that will have our staff take him completely off the board.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think the rest of the draft is filled with bonus picks and picks that are best used as bargaining chips. If we can use a 4th round or lower pick to move up, I’m for it all day. But if it takes a 3rd round or better, I’d rather just stay put and see what happens.

1 Like

This is my belief as well… Anderson and Carter will both go 1 or 3 with a QB going at 2 and possibly 4/5

I don’t know how many times I seem to type this. If your GM is good at drafting, why get rid of picks? People talk about consolidating our picks into just a few gambles in the same year we just dominated with so many picks. If our GM has the vision to get an ARSB, a Kirby, a Rodrigo, and Houston etc, why not let him do it?

Keep low picks if you draft well with them. Pay them less, have cap space, get comp picks.

4 Likes

word

1 Like

Toy Story No GIF

Here’s my take.

A coaching staff can only take on so many rookies at a time when they are trying to advance veterans. Throwing more rookies into the mix doesn’t help, it hurts. The only reason to pile on as many rookies as possible is if a GM doesn’t trust his process, or if a big part of the team is starting from scratch at the same time. The longer we have this coaching staff, the more we should lean towards advancing guys to the next level in lieu of starting rookies from scratch. The fastest adapting organism in the universe is an NFL defense. Warren Sapp said that. But I use the same logic for both sides of the ball. Goff can’t advance if you keep flooding the offense with rookies who are starting from scratch. The same thing applies to the defense, but in a different way. So if you flood the team with rookies, you don’t have time to develop them or you are holding experienced players back.

1 Like

Because you know that your GM can get you lots of value with the picks you still have.

It’d harder to find all-pro talent than to find good players and starters in a draft, so put it this way…

We’re trading starter players for an all-pro player knowing we can still get starter players with the picks we still have. It’s why the Rams traded for Ramsey. They knew they didn’t need first round picks to get talent in the draft, so why not spend the picks on all-pro talent, which is really hard to find?

It’s why Brad traded up for Jameson last year too. An all-pro receiver impacts the game more than a solid receiver and a solid linebacker. All-pro talent becomes harder to find later in drafts, so Brad moved to get a guy he feels can be an all-pro.

3 Likes

I think I’d do it. I don’t think Arizona would take that though and the price they can fetch for one of those QBs is going to be higher than anything anybody is trading sway for Jalen Carter.

If Arizona can trade down to like 7 or 9 or whatever and get an extra first then that’s what they should do.

They’re roster is bad. They need a lot of players.

We will always have a fair flux of rooks with this GM, IMO. We are raising our own vets though. The way we are now getting won, we’ll have the same coaches & system for a loooooong time, this time. This makes EVERY guy on the field someone who can help others learn…all “coaches on the field,” in a sense. IMO, it’s more about system continuity than old guys that have been there/xone that…it’s that they have been in the same SYSTEM for years.

That’s been a problem of ours in the past, our vets were learning right along with our rooks, as well as learning what they can/can’t count on teammates for, getting continuity & timing down as well as learning the lingo & playbook.

We have a really, really good thing going.
The cap, injuries, age, will always cause us to have a fair amount of flux.

“The fastest adapting organism in the universe is an NFL defense.” - Warren Sapp

Continuity is great and I love it! But sustaining success in the NFL requires adaptation. Whatever is successful for you today will not be successful for you tomorrow…BECAUSE it was successful for you today. Teams study you and adapt to what you are doing. In high school and college its good enough to say “this is how we run this play” and then dial it up when you need it. In the NFL the guys on the other side of the ball are like prison inmates who have nothing but time to figure out how a particular prison guard moves and acts. That’s what they do with their day…all day every day. If you keep the prison mentality when thinking about the NFL, it will give a good perspective. Darius Slay used to study the opposing receivers so hard he even stalked their social media. He said something like “if that guy ate spaghetti on Thursday before the game, I wanna know about it.”

So to sustain success in the NFL you have to have institutional knowledge and be able to say “this is how we succeeded doing it before. So this is how we anticipate the other team to adjust. So this is how we plan on adjusting to get ahead of the adjustment.” That’s how Mike Shanahan did it, and how he taught his son Kyle.

Bringing in talented rookies is a good thing. My comment was about the notion of artificially flooding the team with rookies. There is a difference between Ray Lewis being able to take on a rookie Ed Reed under his wing and showing him how to function in the defense vs flooding the entire defense with rookies where none of them know how to function in the defense. Ray could help Ed because he knew what Chris McAlister, Duane Starks and Jamie Sharper were going to do. But it would have been a tougher task if suddenly he was trying to work with a dozen rookies all at once.

I bring this up because I believe in it with all my heart. I know alot of people think of the draft as just lottery tickets so more tickets is better than less tickets. I don’t subscribe to that. You have to be able to support the players once they get into the system. And the longer the system has been in place, the more the system has to change. And if someone is a good evaluator of talent like Brad is, I feel like he needs to trust himself to bring in less rookies in favor of bringing in better ones.

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel - and I posted it elsewhere. Carter making it to 4 or 5 is the trigger, while 3 is just a little too rich. To me: 3 is doubtful (partly because AZ will want a bounty to move off Carter, otherwise, why not just pick him?), 4 is no-man’s land - you could justify it if they really like Carter, and 5 - I’m all over it.

I’ve been trying to find info on these things about Carter – any more insights?

Austin Powers No GIF

1 Like

Good points here on veterans/rookies and team development from players and more from front office strategy.

1 Like

Georgia message boards. You have to realize that everything there tries to put Carter in the best light (because he’s their guy) but I’ve read issues about missing practices, incident with Missouri, grades.

2 Likes

POY. Really rings true.
Case in point - Ben Johnson figured out how to run against base nickel sets – after the Washington game the strategy was written about alot. By week 4, everyone seemed to be doing it. There are countless other examples. You always have to be a step ahead. You said it real well, @Mr.Peabody

1 Like