Would you trade D'Andre Swift and if so for what price?

It’s an interesting question. If DC/Holmes feel like this season is a lost cause, there are quite a few tradeable pieces. contenders will have holes to fill and may overpay.

In general I consider draft picks to have a ~50% hit rate so I’d only want to trade aging vets versus guys in their prime with +pff metrics.

Swift may be an exception because I don’t think he is durable enough for many more years.

I’d also consider anyone currently on IR except ragnow. I’d also consider trading Goff. There are still teams that would want Goff if they were a qb away and have a 6-2+ record going into the trade deadline

We have the OL pieces, if they can get/stay healthy, so I don’t think anyone is advocating for spending additional resources on OL. We have our bookends and our top-tier Center.

There’s always a case to be made for a QB possessing mobility, whether it’s scripted or off-script plays. I’d love to add Malik Willis to the team.

None of that changes my opinion of Swift.

Yeah I think it’s moot because other teams are going to see Swift as a player that is not worth a high pick, mostly because of durability/shelf life concerns. I don’t think we’ve seen the best of him yet, but I really liked his work vs. the Ravens. He needs to be that guy more often. I think he can. I think he’s worth more in DET than he could get in a trade.

1 Like

A few things here…

First, how does a team trade for a QB mid-season? If that’s somehow even possible then get me the WFT on the phone right now.

Second, would anyone want Goff in the first place on his contract? Apparently Washington was interested in him in the offseason and that’s who I’d call first and tell that he’s available. I think they’d give us their 1st too for him. Anyone else though to create a market?

Third, would MCDC and Holmes actually trade him after 1 season like this? I don’t agree with these people because I think Goff isn’t much better than what he’s shown us, but there were people here that said that Goff was going to look terrible regardless because of the team around him. Hopefully the staff thinks their team is good enough to actually evaluate Goff, because he isn’t good, but they could not be looking through their Honolulu blue lenses and see that they probably didn’t get the best Goff has to offer.

1 Like

Agree 100%.

1 Like

I mostly agree w/this. I think the right RB is tougher to find. Shelf life is a massive concern with RBs. (After Kevin Jones, Best, Kerryon, et all, Lions fans are especially sensitive to this idea).

Part of the reason I wanted J-Will (who went to Denver), was the type of back he is, and my perception of his durability (be it the right or wrong assumption).

All things considered, I’d sell any of our guys for the right price. Someone offers 3 firsts for Sewell - done.
Someone offers a first for Analzone - done (that sort of thing)

That said, I’d be more along the lines of keeping our dudes and building the system. We need continuity, and this organization hasn’t had it since Fontes was here. Our position groups need to be together for awhile.

On a chip block, how much of a piece of that dude to I need to get, to know I’ve helped my OL enough before releasing to the next level?
For QBs and RBs…How much space does my WR create in this lane by drawing attention, based on how well he does/doesn’t sell the route, how much attention he demands, etc? This determines which plays you can count on for how many yards, what angles you need to take in order to make the play as successful as it an be, etc.
For a RB…How near my OLmen do I run, when going through the hole? Do I stay right on his hip to be more elusive, or do I have to leave space because he’s going to get shoved into me? Is there a hole at all?
For a QB…How much can I trust my OL in different scenarios, and how much do I need to compensate for shortcomings of different guys? Where do I place the ball with different WRs on timing routes. Angles and timing are different w/every dude. When we throw a lot of short stuff, a lot of it is premeditated. Sometimes with a really good OL, broken plays and/or plays against man coverage, it evolves into almost like gym class football…go deep, MF’r and I’ll put it out there for you. Our QB is not an improv guy, he’s more about the precision, premeditated, short-to-mid stuff.

We need to develop a system and culture where WRs bock downfield (they are actually doing a lot of that), and get some YAC guys for Goff.

Ever seeking to up the talent level and depth is important, but there needs to be a HUGE consideration of continuity.

Side effects of continuity…
-Loyal players that are happier and have more of a culture of brotherhood.
-Existing players help Rookies and new FA acquisitions adapt more quickly, as 80+% of your guys already know the system.
-It’s easier to know what is expected of you, when you’re playing next to people that know what to do, as well as you know what you can expect from them.

Lots of other stuff too, but it feels like it’s getting long…

Season 4 Michael GIF by The Office

2 Likes

you could literally say that about any RB. We have to have someone playing RB, may as well go with a good one.

I get there are folks here that are leery of trading a solid LT like Decker. But if you can get a first and maybe a 4th or 5th for him? I do it in a heartbeat.

This team is going nowhere if they can’t draft. Period. It’s the ONLY way this team is going to get out of the deep hole they’re in. There’s no way around it. I don’t think Goff is the answer at QB, but I’d love to be proven wrong. I like the kid.

We can joke all day long about “magic beans” but if Holmes can’t draft we’re sunk anyway. I like what he’s done so far. I give him as many high picks as I can and I think converting Decker into a talented player at a position group of need, be it WR, S, LB etc., I do it. Fortune favors the bold. Our hopes are pinned on Holmes as a talent evaluator. If he’s not a stud in that regard, there’s no hope. Give him the ammo, I say.

Why do people act like Goff is on some ridiculous contract?

His cap hit is #13 for QBs in the NFL for this year. It’s #9 for next year currently, but that will get pushed down when other guys sign extensions.

Goff’s contract is pretty middle-of-the-road for a vet starting QB.

3 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

Without Decker, OL becomes a position group of need IMO.

It’s not just about overall talent, IMO. Some of what we are seeing is the identity, philosophy, strategy, and culture our front offices are trying to create. I think they are very much a trenches out group, and trying to build identity, philosophy, etc around that.
We’re gonna punch you in the mouth and take your lunch money (bite your knee caps, in his words).
OL/DL first is exactly that. Implementing always comes before embodiment. We are in the implementation phase.

1 Like

If you trade Decker, your position group OT just joined your “need” list. It was one of the only groups that wasn’t a “need” and now is, because we’ve traded a starter.

There are few scenarios where it makes sense. If there’s an offer like Houston gave Miami for Tunsil, you go for it. I just don’t see anything like that occurring.

3 Likes

But at some point we’re going to have to pay Swift. Absolutely keep him now.

1 Like

I think so too. I am more of a RB guy than most here. I even believe in spending a high pick, if it is for the right guy.

1 Like

I don’t see it that way. Right now there are three first rounders, a third rounder and an overpriced player at RG. I trust Holmes to find help on the right side that makes sense beyond having two guys there on big contracts. You have to be able to juggle investment at position groups. We are so talent hungry elsewhere that it’s a derelicton of duty to not at least explore your options.

I see Decker as a key chip to address that. I’ll stop with it now. I just don’t want to move Sewell back to RT. I think you’re really doing a disservice to the kid that way. He’s a natural LT with perennial probowl upside there. Let him work on his craft there.

I’d flip Decker for a stud WR1, I think the group there, St. Brown, Cephus etc. just needs a legit #1 who’ll draw double coverage consistently. That would really help Hock as well.

I’d trade Decker for a potential probowler at a number of spots, especially S and LB as well. It’s risky, but the Lions are going nowhere if they can’t find the right kids.

Which is why I like a prospect like Willis, who can handle pressure from the right side. He can see it and be creative. Give him a stud blind side protector and I think he could be the future.

1 Like

I probably would only because our realistic turn around time is longer than an RB’s shelf life.

I really like what I’ve seen from Swift, but his talents will likely be diminished by the time his contribution will really matter to us.

1 Like

No.

If I’m Holmes I’m not trading any quality players on this team that are under 27 that are signed to a good deal.

Decker, Ragnow, Hock, Swift, the rookies…Untouchable imo. These are guys you want to keep and collect, not trade for picks.

Anyone outside of that box, sure…trade them all for whatever you can get to speed up the rebuild.

1 Like

What if my aunt had balls? She would be my uncle! We finally have a adequate backfield and you want to trade it away because the guy might get hurt and his value will go down? Every thing you have suggested in here is what the Lions have done for the last 20 plus years.

1 Like

An interesting fact, we are tied for 8th in least amount of punts per game 3.5. If you take away the Ravens game it is 2.66 which would put us in 3rd behind KC and the Rams. Swift is one of the reasons this offense moves the ball so why would you want to trade him. The reason the Lions are losing games is the Defense stinks. Keep your young offensive players and use the draft capital we have coming up on defense.

3 Likes

wagon

2 Likes