Would you trade D'Andre Swift and if so for what price?

At first, I saw this guy on YouTube claiming we need to trade him because he’s a 3rd down back and Jamaal Williams is better between the tackles and everything and that we “have too many slot receivers.” I agree he’s a pretty good running back, but given the typical life of running backs, if the Cardinals say offered their late 1st round pick, would you do it?

I might, and I’ll leave it at that. I’m on the fence.

2 Likes

Swift isn’t an every down workhorse type of back IMO. He’s easily replaceable and if you can get say a 2nd and 3rd pick, I’d do it

For a 1st

1 Like

Swift hasn’t turned out to be what I had hoped for, so far. That said, he’s our only real home run threat. We need so much help in other areas that I would not trade him. If he can stay healthy, he has a chance to be part of the rebuild/contender team. Williams has been more effective so far this year. The type of running he does are hard miles, and while he had no durability issues right now, I would not be surprised if he developed them (remember, he’s in his 2nd contract at the most oft-injured position in football).

IMO, having 2 starter level RBs, as well as a solid backup on the roster is the best formula.

Just an opinion - Get mad if ya wanna.

Swift stays, at least for now.

5 Likes

I see no reason to trade Swift. Unless you get blown away in an offer, just like with Decker. Stupid level deal in the Lions favor.

Most teams don’t have a Derrick Henry guy. The new model appears to be the two headed monster. Chubb-Hunt. Kamara-(was Murray) Jones Jr.

The Lions have that with Swift-Williams. It’s taken forever to get there. Why blow it up when you just finally get it?

6 Likes

I agree he’s a home threat but In terms of long term value, I wouldn’t invest a lot of $$$ to keep him. I’d keep him now but if someone offered something I couldn’t refuse, I’d trade him.

2 Likes

The whole point of a rebuild is to fill the team with young, cheap building blocks, not trade them away.

10 Likes

Absolutely - for the right price, anyone. That’s why I was okay with Stafford leaving, because of what we got for him?

Are you new here?

Beanz > prospects > players. Always.

4 Likes

This is how we got a team with the best defensive player being Dewayne White and the second best offensive player was Dan Orlovsky

The offense is close to built. No tearing it down now, self sabotagers.

The defense is terrible awful. Gonna need 6 new starters, minimum.

8 Likes

For a 1st, I’d do it. But I don’t think a team will give up a first for a RB unless he’s Derrick Henry.

I really like Swift and I think he’s only now just coming into his own. He’s a solid piece that I will want to pair with our new QB.

We’re a bit over-invested in OL at this moment, IMO. I’d like to find our future RT with a day two or three prospect. I would trade Decker for a 1st. And you could probably get that and maybe a day three pick as well to a team that’s LT needy.

I use the hypothetical Decker pick as a way to add a stud kid on a rookie deal. Maybe Malik falls to the mid-first and you scoop him with that pick. Or, maybe you draft Malik with your higher pick. Whichever way it falls, you could add your QB, WR1, a top S and a flamethrower LB type with your top four picks.

Then you’ve still got your two first rounders in '23. After all of that, you should be in great shape to be a playoff team. And in great cap shape going forward, so you’ll then finally be able to add some nice proven vets in free agency.

I wouldn’t be too upset if they hang on to Decker. But I’m thinking it’s time to get greedy with the magic beans and really add a boatload of young studs over the next two years.

If you can get a first for a RB with only two cheap years remaining that’s not uber-elite you do it.

No team is going to agree to that though.

2 Likes

In a heartbeat!

I’m admittedly not as high on Swift as most. He bothers me, still. He may be playing with more toughness this year, which is good, but he’s still not making great decisions and he obviously has blocking issues. Coach Duce says they better be able to block.

I’d take a 2nd for him.

And it’s not the Beanz that appeals to me, it’s that I’m not convinced he’ll be a solid player or someone we’d offer a 2nd contract to.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t trade him in a heartbeat, but in general I agree. RB is theoretically the most replaceable position in all of football. Granted, we haven’t shown much success finding RBs, but that shouldn’t stop us from playing the numbers.

There’s also the fact that RB shelf life is so short, by the time we’re on the other side of this rebuild, we might be ready to move on from him anyway.

3 Likes

I think you can max out Swift’s natural skill set best with a mobile QB.

Get me the QB that doesn’t need five first rounders to block for him, a guy that can move around and make rushers miss on the regular. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a strong OL. But we’re pretty heavily invested there at the expense of other position groups. A kid like Malik will need to sit a year, but that’s okay. We’re looking at '23 or '24 to make a run anyway.

With a mobile QB you can get Swift out in space and utilize his skillset best that way. If the young QB is better than expected out of the gate and can start in '22, Swift could be a key piece for a dynamic new offense.

1 Like

Pretty sure you don’t get better by trading a top 5 guy on your roster who is under 25 for magic beans.

I also think getting Jermar Jefferson some game reps isn’t a bad idea regardless of what we do with Swift

2 Likes

Decker is 28. And, like I said, I wouldn’t be too upset if we keep him. He’s an above average LT and not top five at his position. Top five on the Lions roster, okay. But what’s he worth in exchange for a kid on a rookie deal? Say that kid turns into a pro bowl WR1. I think you take that tradeoff when you’ve got Sewell, Jackson and Ragnow among your starters.

I look at our young OL and think we’re pretty good there. I think Sewell should continue getting reps at LT, where he belongs IMO.

We haven’t had a run game since Barry retired and you want to trade Swift? With the way RB’s get hurt in this league, no way in hell I’m trading Swift unless it’s a unrealistic Madden type trade.

1 Like

That’s part of it though IMO. What if Swift gets hurt and his value absolutely tanks?