WR Josh Reynolds to Broncos

I am guessing Detroit’s offer was way lower to come back. Wish Josh best of luck in Denver.

Too Easy…

2 Likes

More power to him, but these seems like a couple more bucks to go play for a team that isn’t going to win shit. But I get it, gotta secure that bag. We must’ve been well under.

3 Likes

Wish him well. He was a part of pretty much the whole turnaround and had some great games for us. Unfortunately, when it mattered most he didn’t deliver, and then the money didn’t work out. We should be able to replace him.

Hope he tears it up with the Broncos when he’s not playing us.

7 Likes

Laviska Shinault on a cheap 1 year deal then get someone in the draft

1 Like

These departures will start to get more and more painful for us as Holmes’s rookies evolve into their second contracts. We’z gonna lose’a bunch of 'em, Boyz.

Hopefully we can trade 'em like we did Hoch in a lot of cases…or package them with picks to move up in the draft to maintain our current talent level.

6 Likes

To expand on this

Shinault has had these QBs since he got in the league

Minshew/Glennon/Luton/Lawrence Rookie year(his best season yet)/Darnold/Mayfield/Walker/Bryce Young on his rookie deal

His best season with a rookie T Law 63 catches for 619 yards

Best of luck Josh!!!

1 Like

Spot on. Many wanted Jamaal Williams, Chark, Jonah and Reynolds back… all gone. Hock traded. This trend will continue unless the price is right.

I really respect that in Holmes… he’s not just overpaying his own guys… which would be easy to do.

6 Likes

Good luck, Josh, you made a big difference here last season, wish you nothing but the best.

That said: I don’t get the folks predicting WR in the first round now. The only way that makes sense is if they’ve already decided Jamo will not get a second contract (because if not, drafting another 1st rounder at his position + extending ARSB makes that decision for them).

Unless everything the Lions have been saying about Jamo this offseason is bullshit, I expect his role to increase next season–and the Lions to draft a WR in the middle rounds to compete for whatever snaps remain. Just doesn’t make sense to use a high pick for that. Lions will go OL, DL or CB.

6 Likes

It won’t happen.

Brads in charge not Matt

2 Likes

We have been doing a ton of work on WRs this offseason, that’s a fact. Most of them day 1 or 2 picks. If Brad falls in love, one could VERY easily be the pick, no matter what we think about Jamo. Our FO has shown a preternatural understanding for the way things should be done as an NFL franchise, and to me that means leaning into the offense. It’s just the way the rules are (and get more so by the offseason).

6 Likes

Good for Josh. It’s his last chance to be filthy rich. He should send a thank you note to the Lions and flowers to Goff for rehabilitating his image and making this payday possible.

7 Likes

This is also where getting GREAT project players (Like BroMart & Barnes) could come in very handy. Their rookie contracts come up, and they are just starting to step into stardom, which means a much more reasonable second contract. Good role players for rook contract…studs on second…saves cap for future?

Is Holmes having this much foresight?
I really think he is…and that it is by design…same with injured players.
To argue this case…
Paschal?
Jamo?
Campbell?
Branch (Yes, he’s awesome already, but they have publicly stated they didn’t expect him to develop that quickly)
BroMart?
Barnes?
Levi? (probably more of a stretch)

With as good as our starters are becoming, we will have more of this phenomenon by default, as rooks will. have a tougher time cracking the lineup.

Question is → Are we picking guys that we suspect will have greater upside in favor of future, because we think the current roster is already solid?

I THINK SO

Great combination of vet leadership, superstars, and great developmental guys.

4 Likes

Lol he moved up for Jamo and loves him some play makers. You don’t seem to know Brad or Matt to compare them.

Brad is going to select the best player at #29 even if it is a WR. If he really likes someone he could even trade up.
My preference would be to trade down if there are many still on his board at #29.

Also, you can’t predict how Jamo will develop or how much it will cost to re-sign him. WR is an expensive position and the Lions only have control of Jamo 5 years without a Franchise tag. Even the 5th year option for a WR is expensive (currently $14M-$21M). Holmes is constantly planning for future.

1 Like

I would be okay with trading away this year’s first for a higher first next year, plus a 2nd or 3rd this year.

A team we truly expect to suck next year. Work some magic with the Vikings?

2 Likes

My bet wagers say otherwise

Unless it’s in the Super Bowl, the Lions don’t play the AFC West again until 2027.

I Dont Like It Steve Austin GIF by BuzzFeed