WR stat comparison, DPJ, Smith, Reynolds, Chark

So I made this to help calm my nerves and verify what I thought. As well as shed som light on the 2 WRs the Lions currently have. DPJ and Smith.
And I know a lot of people wanted Chark back. And were worried about WR3 no Reynolds is gone.

Well heres a stat comparison of all 4 from the last 2 seasons. (smith and DPJ is 2 years prior to last)

Stats via Pro Football Reference (Regular season)

And all 4 are pretty close across the board. Key things to point out.

• Chark has a Lower Catch%
    (Has a fair amount of Drops)
  • Chark and DPJ have a lower success rate.
    (Could be that they Had bad QBs)
  • Smith didnt get a lot of play time thus his yards are lower.

But for the most part their stats are very similar. Hence why I dont feel the need to go out and get another WR.

We have St Brown and Williams.
Add 3 of the fallowing which will split time at WR3.
Reynolds, DPJ, Green, Smith, I Williams and I think they will be just fine.

3 Likes

You have an ADOT comparison?

? What/whose that?

Average depth of target. Would provide some context to success rate and other efficiency metrics.

1 Like

On it will add. I think sports reference has that as “YBC” yards before catch. But absolutely will add just a second

Updated added YBC and color coded

Bro, What does a department of transportation opinion have to do with this?

2 Likes

Imma say it again.

Kalif is our WR3 Prime. DPJ is WR4 w some wr3 snaps in red zone/goal line/3rd and short conversion and some other one off matchups.

Kalif. 80% catch rate, 66% success rate. Just destroys the 4 guys on that grid above. What what? How? Elite separation.

That is PFFs 2023 WR grid w raw separation grade in X and Catchpoint/YAC grade in Y.

DPJ is a dump truck, Khalif is a Ferrari.

That bottom left quadrant is the glue factory, by and large…Robert Woods?Skyy Moore, Lazard, Hodgins, Terrance Marshall?

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

4 Likes

I havent seen anything w DPJ, eye test wise, that tells me he’s anything beyond Break Glass in Case of Emergency. He looked sloooowwww

All 4 of our fellas were in the golden quadrant of that chart, its just big so I had to squeeze it before

I’m not sure how to account for it but DPJ’s and Kalie’s route usage probably accounts for a good portion of that successs rate.

As stated before I imagine the #3 spot will be a platoon or even committee approach.

Is there one of those for 2022?

Similar though not for all of 2022

https://x.com/sethwalder/status/1592922814566518784?s=46

I actually think DPJ should be our 9 route guy. Jared tends to underthrow them and going up and getting it is what DPJ
does best. I would imagine with his build up speed separation metrics are better on longer developing routes.

But regardless separation is clearly not his game. That’s what I think he and Raymond could be a nice tandem.

I knew he wasn’t an elite separator or anything, but I figured he’d be about the same as Josh. It’s somewhat alarming given that Jared doesn’t usually throw to unopen guys. Even those underthrown 9 routes are usually thrown to open guys, he just doesn’t get it out there far enough. We’ll see, some combo of he and Raymond is probably where we’re headed. I really hope ARSB and Jamo stay healthy.

Just send Manu in that case. Probably runs a similar 40

2023 is tough to judge DPJ.
At CLE he had Injured Watson, PJ walker, DTR, throwing to him.
2022 you had Brissett.
Where in 2020&2021 he had baker. With a 56% success rate and 65% catch rate. And a massive 85% 1st down/ td per catch rate.

Yes kalif is special but a completely different skill set than DPJ.

Dpj will be the 3rd down/ redzone out side man.
Kalif will be the 1/2nd down and speed guy.

I do love kalif. But WR3 will be done by committee

2 Likes

I think DPJ will find his way into that quandrant now that he will have an offseason with Ja-red Goff instead of Jacoby Briscuit & Deshaun Massagekins

3 Likes

Kalif only played 30 percent of the snaps last year. He will have a role but it’ll be limited. He’s also turning 30 this season…where WR’s often start to fade.

1 Like

Goff led the league by a mile in success throwing to recievers with less than one yard separation

3 Likes