WR's Draft Strategy

Who are you talking about?

Yeah but in fairness there’s far more WR’s taken round two than round one.

I think teams over draft WR’s all the time. They draft these little speed guys like Hollywood Brown and Tavon Austin way too often and they take guys like John Ross whom no one thought was a first rounder until he ran his 40 time.

It’s the guys who are solid route runners, and have great hands who translate well. If they have speed too than even better.

2 Likes

I like Toney a lot but he’s in that Cordale Patterson role. He’s a gimmick style player and is viewed that way. It’s why he has a possibility to drop to us in round two. But I wouldn’t hesitate to take him at 41OA.

1 Like

Some background…

1 Like

I agree with this.

I actually like Smith and Waddle more than Chase.

If we go WR round one then Smith is my first choice and then Waddle. If we don’t get one of those two I hope we wait until round two.

In round two I like Toney and Wallace

There’s others I like but slightly less like the two Browns.

I think we have to go WR in the first two rounds.

1 Like

Chase for me, and i dont have a preference between Smith/Waddle. but those 3 are my top choices if we stay at 7.

Sounds like Smith to me! Might even be able to get Smith on a trade down.

2 Likes

I think Smith has the highest floor. Waddle may have a higher ceiling. I too like them both better than Chase.

In the second, I like Toney and the Brown (correction: Moore) from Purdue, although 5’7" gives me a little pause on Moore. He is the one I view as a more ‘gimmicy’ player – he almost has to be with his height. I can see him doing alot of end arounds, receiving out of the backfield and returning. Hiding behind the OL.

There are more speed guys who get over drafted for sure, but there’s been plenty of guys who fit in this category who busted as well. Josh Doctson, Nelson Agholor, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, AJ Jenkins, etc… All players bust. But I agree that speed guys tend to be overdrafted.

I would even argue Amari Cooper, who a ton of analysts called the best route runner they’ve ever seen, has been something of a disappointment for a #3 overall pick (especially for the Raiders).

1 Like

Moore?

I think some signals were crossed with @JerseyJungle and @Air2theThrown.

Air mentioned he liked the 2 Browns at WR (Dyami and Amon-Ra St. Brown).

Jersey was thinking about the 2 named Moore… Rondale and Elijah.

1 Like

The problem with Rondale is he has an problematic injury history, he has only played in a total of 7 games the last 2 years (3-2020, 4-2019). We need to hit on as many picks this year as possible and for that reason I don’t expect to see him in a Lions uni.

1 Like

Yeah I actually think he’d be better off if he toned down the lifting. The guy was squatting 600 pounds as a freshman and is noted as a workout warrior. Normally that’s a good thing but on his frame he needs to worry more about flexibility and looseness and instead he’s going the opposite way. I’m really worried he’s gonna spend a lot of time injured.

1 Like

Was watching some game video on Mac Jones earlier today and Smith was popping on the film. And he was the bigger factor in sustaining drives. Waddle looked pretty small out there. Waddle did have the 80 yard game changing TD, but it was also a great call and throw and his defender fell down

I know one game highlights video isn’t enough to make a full opinion but If we had to choose between those two, I’d choose Smith

2 Likes

Obviously your going to have busts and the traits I suggested aren’t the end all be all but there’s some truth there. But of the guys you mentioned.

I’d argue Agholor lacked the hands. Too many drops. He clearly has concentration issues.

Doctson had an Achilles injury.

Wright seemed to have issues between the ears and a run of bad QB’s too.

Floyd had that really bad hand injury and has had a slew of injury problems. But I thought Floyd would be way better than he has been.

AJ Jenkins - Glad you brought him up. He’s one of those speed guys who got over drafted.

I recall debating this kid back in the day. I didn’t like him all that much. SF way over drafted him. Most expected him to go round 3 but his 40 time shot him up the board. He was good at finding soft spots in coverage but I never though he was a polished route runner and there’s was a lot to work needed in his game. Rumor was he couldn’t grasp NFL concepts and was not very coachable.

Obviously there’s always reasons guys bust out but I do think it’s wise to draft guys with good hands, and good route running skills, guys who can separate. I think these traits translate easier and are the most important ones.

1 Like

Chase isn’t big, isn’t a burner, not a freakish athlete. And for him still to be viewed as the top WR (and there’s a gap there between him and the other two) says what kind of player he is. He isnt being judged by his pro day. But what he did on the field. I feel he is as sure as it gets.

Smith is really good too. No negatives aside from his slender frame. Concerning he wouldn’t weight in or participate at his pro day too (a little anyway).

The biggest difference between the two is Strength. As some has stated, Chase is a bull. And has some really strong hands. I’m worried (a little) about Smith getting bullied in the NFL. It’s overly concerning, but it’s enough to clearly put Chase ahead of him.

Chase > Bama WRs by a decent margin IMO

you’re right, my bad. I fixed it. But it won’t be fixed in the quotes. Too many common names!

Davante Adams