Your plan to fix the safety position next year

All day slow roasting… :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s made with electrolytes too… :laughing: Having a bit of fun. :wink:

So, in other words, the Lions are definitely taking Hamilton @ 2OA, he will fail, they will take another Safety high and miss, then finally get it right on the 3rd try and 2nd GM. :laughing:

I think run-first Safeties can be found later, but a true ball hawk is really incredible. I think you want both in your quiver to prevent mismatches.

I really think he might be going back to school.

Not signing Marcus Williams isn’t “saving” 12M per year, it’s likely paying 5-7M per year less for a. Inferior player, or spending a high draft resource on a NEED without knowing who will be there or how we rate them.

12M a year is a lot, but not for a borderline pro bowler turning 26 years old who is already proven in our scheme. He’s missed 4 games in 5 years, averages 3 picks and racks up tackles while forcing and recovering fumbles.

A top 3-4 FS has far more impact than a WR like Corey Davis, or impending FA Gallup, but similar cap hit.

WRs, CBs, and Edge guys are crazy expensive in free agency and teams need lots of them.

Pay the FS…. Williams…. Depending on price pay Walker too…

Pay Larry Ogunjobi to get penetration from the DL, and pay J Reynolds.

I would take Treylon Burks or Drake London and Marcus Williams

Over

Allen Robinson or Mike Williams and a late 1st safety all day.

Probably about 5-6M a year cheaper too… makes Charles Harris free?

1 Like

My Plan: Holmes + Pleasant with a dash of Glenn.

Those guys have taken around 7 UDFAs now and made them into top half of the league players between Lions and Rams.

Good chance the Lions take 2 safeties. One day 2 and one day 3.

1 Like

Until you get a trade down your just fooling yourself with to many picks.
Its just a pretend draft adding picks you don’t have.

Andrew Wingard is a RFA. If he doesn’t get a second round tender I’d kick those tires. Dan would love him. He’s the safety version of Anzalone.

I don’t want anything to do with WR over 12 million waste of money look at the WR making that much or over couple worth it rest just eat cap.

I would like both those at S but 3 years on Walker look at his age. I am against secondary players 30 or over. Yes few do ok but in general they run out of gas over 30 an just flash enough to pick up big checks.

If I take Hamilton I take Edge with Rams pick an I would take Jermaine Johnson II Florida State WR with second RD pick

I am hoping we resign Walker an sign FA Williams for are main safeties.

One thing every draft we need to add a CB an WR at least one in future drafts. They are pricey positions an by restocking each draft once we get this rebuild done we can avoid paying big time for the positions . Right now are secondary is young an with Walker an Williams we would be ok for 2022. If one they like slips grab him… We got a break finding CBs who were UDFA an they are solid at minimum depth.

If we sign Reynolds He an Cephus an Brown an at least one high draft pick we are heading right direction. That would be 4 starters heading into camp thats 3 more than last season who u could say can start.

Marcus Williams - Free agent S - New Orleans Saints (as some others have mentioned above)

#1 Target for the Lions in March. Match made in heaven.

• Aaron Glenn was Williams ‘secondary coach’ for 4 years (2017-2020). Just imagine the amount of hours that Marcus spent with Coach Glenn. The relationship and trust has already been built.
  • Gigantic need at the safety position for the Lions. Marcus Williams is Plug-n-Play from day 1. Healthy, productive, and consistent.
  • Money talks…5 year $65 million with $30 mil Guaranteed at signing.

Tracy Walker is loved by these coaches. I hope he comes back to Detroit and pairs up with Williams. We’d have a nice Safety duo in our backfield. And I agree with bringing back Will Harris. He is a very valuable asset as a special teams player and can fill multiple positions for about…$1 million. Harris is worth more than he’s paid…<<and that is a sentence I thought I would never type.

2 Likes

All day!

Corey Davis and Curtis Samuel make 11-12M per…those figures out you in John Johnson territory at safety…

Until the Browns cut bait…

Tyler Lockett, Kenny G, Allen Robinson and OBJ were each making more than any safety in the league.

My point is the Lions can likely secure Marcus Williams and retain T Walker for about 14M per and 7M per respectively.

M Williams 5 and 68M- 35M Guaranteed
9M…11M… 12M….16.5M…. 19.5M

• about 4M dead cap off cut after 3 years… he’s turning 26… 26, 27, 28, keep or cut prior to 29

T Walker 3 years and 21M. 10M G
5M….6.5M…. 9.5M….

Overall I don’t see the lions spending top of the market money on any FA. However this guy would be the only exception. It’s clear how much Glenn leaned on Anzalone to be a coach on the field with his scheme. Williams can bring that plus the much needed veteran presence in that secondary room. It’s all super young guys on rookie deals.

The problem is their both free safeties so are you willing to pay Walker 7 mil to be a backup and who is going to play your Box safety role?

I like him more as a co - 2 man guy. Not a true free nor slated mostly in the box.

I think Walker, Williams, Iffy, AO, and Okudah could be a helluva nickel group, and most run 6’1” plus and 205 plus….

We do run a fair amount of cover two but we also run a fair amount of single high.

So when we run single high we’re putting one of those two on the bench. That guy clearly would be Walker.

If you recall we tried Walker up in the box with MP and he struggled bad in traffic.

My point is I really do not like paying a guy 7-9 mil a year to spend 30% of his snaps on the line.

Unless Glenn is planning to run mostly covert two it wouldn’t make a lot of sense to have both Walker and Williams.

What makes more sense is to me is to draft a versatile S that can play both in space and in traffic. You get him on the cheap to pair with a veteran safety opposite him and your not limiting what your DC can do.

I cannot wait to see what he gets and where he gets it from. Will he have suitors and how much are they willing to pay? How much will the Lions pay? We’ve had him as high as 13 mil here and now we’re at 7. I’m not arguing one way or the other. If I had to make a decision on him, I’m inclined to move on, but he does seem to deliver the heat sometimes in run support.

13 Mil for Williams
7 Mil for Walker

No way Walker brings 13 Mil if he does than id let him walk.

I assume your talking about Walker here.

I am perfectly fine keeping Walker (if the price is fair) but if we do than I feel we need to pair him with someone good enough to play in traffic. I’d prefer a versatile S type.

However if we let Walker go and sign someone like Williams than I’d be perfectly happy with the upgrade.

I was only talking about Walker. The 13 mil were conversations here using the tag on him.

Yikes …. Yeah I don’t think he’s worth it.

He’s worth keeping but tagging he is not.

I agree and that’s what adds to the intrigue. It will be real interesting to see what he gets and where.
Besides Walker there are Charles Harris and Josh Reynolds. We clearly want to bring them back, but we also know that we’re probably their best landing spot and will be able to re-sign them to team-friendly contracts. Walker’s a different story. You’d like to keep him because otherwise we’ll need 2 starting safeties instead of 1.

Well… with way he has played in the playoffs…
I really don’t see Bates hitting the market.