Your plan to fix the WR position next year

Nobody is saying he should be a starter.

There are people saying he should be a depth guy.

I don’t even think he’s good enough to be a depth guy.

Here is my plan for the WR position group:

1. Re-sign Josh Reynolds. He signed a $1.75 million/one year deal meaning he should re-sign for around that area again.

2. Go all in for a Free Agent WR. I like Steelers WR James Washington. This kid was a BEAST in college, he will be 26 years old in April and I think the stacked Steelers with an aging QB have undervalued James. 5’11" and 210+ pounds. He is capable of being a big YAC guy and being a 15+ YPC guy too:
    Steelers OC Matt Canada spins use of receiver James Washington

Next I draft a guy weighing available WR talent V. other players available. I don’t know who yet but I draft a WR either with the Rams pick, the 2nd rd. or the 3rd rd. pick. My group then look like this:
WR James Washington, Josh Reynolds, a top rookie, Amon Ra, Quintez Cephus and I re-sign Kalif Raymond to see if he can stick as a #6 guy.

That plan is not crazy expensive but James Washington will be expensive. Reynolds will not be expensive. Cephus gets a shot at competing but he may be the #2 now or maybe even the #5. Same with Reynolds. Depends on how good the rookie is.

James Washington is criminally underused by the Steelers. 4,472 career receiving yards at Oklahoma State, a 19.8 average per catch for his career at Oklahoma State with 39 career college TDs. The Steelers are loaded at the WR position and there is a low, low chance James goes back there now.

Between James and Amon Ra that could be a really, really good pairing. AND…if we pick the right rookie to fit between those skill sets that WR core could be explosive as hell. Round that out with Reynolds and Cephus as depth guys who are capable and that works for me.

Depth guys have to start all the time in the NFL due to injuries or whatever.
Rhaymond has shown he can step-in as a starter, return punts, or be a good depth guy.
I don’t see any reason why we wouldn’t want a guy like him back.

Typically, teams don’t have 6-7 starting caliber WR’s sitting on their bench that you can plug-in.

2 Likes

I think JR will want more, probably close to 3 million a year. I’d say give him a 2 year/ 5.2 million contract with some incentives.

Sorry, after re-reading your comments, I think I understand what you’re saying.
You don’t think Rhaymond is a good backup.
I’d disagree with that.

So I have to ask, what does make a good backup WR in your eyes?

1 Like

Cordarrelle has 1100 scrimmage yards and 11 TDs this year…

1 Like

I like this point Snags (paying Reynolds). BUT…it is critical the Lions build depth but without overpaying. I like Josh Reynolds, I like his fit here, I think the Lions like his fit here but Josh is likely bac here with an an around/under $ 2 million/year deal. I hope the Lions give him say $2.5 million/year and maybe a two year deal? Those dollars spent are critical to developing depth in other areas.

I think we should at least have someone else in there.

Josh Reynolds is a good backup. Good enough to be your number 3, and he isn’t a huge drop-off from what you’re starting as your 1 and 2, ideally.

Cephus is a good backup too.

Raymond is in a tier below those two guys IMO.

But the point is that just because a player is a dynamic returner doesn’t mean you can plug him in on offense and they’ll automatically be some great WR.

Cordarelle came out of Tennessee as a WR, never really developed as a good WR, and someone plugged him in at RB (I think it was Belichick) and he kind of found his niche as a 3rd down back/ returner/ WR.

1 Like

This isn’t going to be very popular, especially with those that want or somehow have a need for the Lions to win as soon as possible, but I thoroughly agree. I don’t see wide receiver as an ‘address the wide receiver position right now’. ‘Wide receiver is the biggest need’. ‘Gotta have wide receivers right NOW’.
I’m in the build the defense, deepen the offensive line, THEN address the ‘hands’ positions. I’m in favor of building the foundation, the core, the trenches first. It’s a rebuild, not a patch job. I’ve been watching patch jobs for decades. It hasn’t worked. It WON’T work. It DOESN’T work. I get the sense that this ‘latest new regime’ wants to do it correctly. They have a plan. They need to follow(and I believe they will)follow the plan. It isn’t going to happen in one or two years. They’re going to be better, but they need to continue with (what looks to me as)starting at the fundamentals of building a team. Build the trenches with the Deckers, the Sewells, etc… I know, I know. Those guys aren’t the ‘sexy’ picks. The stand out attention grabbing picks at the unsung positions, but they’re the building blocks. I expect them to draft in 2022 just about like they did in 2021. Defense. O line. Then maybe next year a quarterback and top tier type receivers through both the draft AND free agency. Oh, they might improve some at receiver this offseason if the opportunity comes up, but I don’t see anything really flashy happening. They’re going to follow the same ‘formula’ as the Tigers and the Red Wings. They don’t need to be in any kind of a hurry.

2 Likes

We have to stay adaptable and fluid during the draft. I see all these incredibly rigid plans being forwarded… take DE with 1a, WR with 1b, S with 2… if we do that, we’re doing it wrong. What this team needs more than anything is straight talent, pretty much across the board. If the draft falls in a way that it makes WR one of those talents, so be it. Great fit for what we need. If it doesn’t, that’s fine too, as long as we’re adding talent.

Fans make the mistake of looking only at next year every draft, when really it’s the ultimate in long-term planning. If we do the job right, these guys should be with us for ten years. Our needs are our needs this year but next year they will be different. There’s nothing wrong with planning ahead, especially if the talent is better. Don’t reach for need.

Anyway I’m mostly agreeing with you, I just got off on a little rant there lol. My point is we shouldn’t go into the draft thinking definitely draft a receiver high, nor should we go into it thinking the opposite. Play the board, let the draft come to you.

5 Likes

I hear you. That’s been my argument since the coaching change. My message has been ‘It’s going to take time’. Settle in and enjoy the show. Some here are wanting, even expecting a playoff run next year. I don’t see it. I figured this year was going to be a bust and next year will be a little better, but nowhere near a playoff game let alone a run. I find it interesting to watch the moves the team makes and how these draft picks develop and how the FA’s fit in and if they have leadership skills along with football skills. Although I believe that the veterans they DO bring in will fill that role.The next couple years will be about teaching the kids and the veterans stepping up to fill that role.
But it’s going to be interesting to say the least.

WR absolutely must be addressed this offseason. The fact that it’s such a glaring need makes it a good candidate for FA spending.

To your point, that gives flexibility in the draft to either further address the position or not, depending on the talent available.

True, but there are many ways to do it. The Rams did it by adding a mid-level FA (Robert Woods) and drafting a 3rd round receiver (Cooper Kupp). We could do similar.

I doubt it happens but I’d run around my block naked if we could pry D Adams away from Green Bay. Would have to make him the highest paid WR in history to but man would it be nice.

Way easier to do when you have a prime Brandin Cooks as your clear #1. The Lions, at best, have candidates for being legit #2 guys next year.

Yeah that’s fair. My main point is that the solution can come in many different ways, some of which might at first cause outrage in here.

1 Like

I will be curious where John Metchie gets taken.

For comparison… in terms of late ACL injuries… Jeffrey Simmons was the 19th pick after he tore his ACL during draft prep. He was a top 5-10 pick before the injury.

It is early… but Metchie at #66 is intriguing to me.

EDIT… I forgot Jags will have pick 65… and Trent Baalke drafts talented players coming off injuries all the time. Metchie might be their target there.

1 Like

My only concern is where is the size coming from?

I’d probably say the value at WR will be round 2 and 3…not round 1. But Drake London may be worth that Rams pick.

Thoughts on that?