1 Like

translation -
RBs will be good.
CBs are likely to suck.
WRs are really bad.
Tavai might be better than ya think.
Coaches are awesome.

1 Like

But probably not 2002-2003 level bad, i.e. Bill “Alligator Arms” Schroeder, Scottie Anderson, Az Hakim, Larry Foster, and Mikhael Ricks bad.

That being said, the top 3 pass catchers could be Hockenson, Swift, and Jamal Williams.

3 Likes

What do we know about the WR coach? Pleasant is an awesome CB coach so I think that will be the big surprise unit of the team.

Odukah will look like a first rounder is my guess and Ifea will probably grow into a solid starter as the season goes on.

2 Likes

Broken record: Kalif Raymond and Goff will fit way better than OJ and his glove. I think he will get opportunities after Perriman drops a few and will emerge as a situational option with 500 receiving yards or more.

1 Like

It’s Antwaan Randel El. I think he has the tallest order to fill as his group is by far the least talented. I think he’s going to be very happy to have Amon Ra St. Brown.

Here’s a recent article about him.

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/players-trust-key-say-antwaan-randle-el

3 Likes

FULLY believe in what’s happening here. It’s about SKILL and leadership. The leadership is already a home run. My opinion - the coach is the most important man on any team. 2nd - GM/A top talent (like Barry).

Coach has to be there to win, regardless of talent.
Talent is required for a SB, but coach can help you compete.

1 Like

In addition to the 10 things listed in the OP, I have a few other thoughts:

Offense

I heard some good stuff about Blough, so that’s good. But Boyle, not so much. We’ll see how that goes, but is either guy good enough? TBD.

I did not hear or read much about Big V, is he going to get it done, presumably at RG? And for that matter, Sewell was telling us switching to RT ain’t that easy. And I’m thinking, what? You played there a little bit in college, do we have a learning curve here? I thought he was going to be a plug and play guy worthy of mention for the ProBowl.

The Lions have 2 good RBs IMHO in Swift and Williams, but who is the RB3? Jefferson, a rookie? Warren? I’m feeling that they are a bit thin there, if one or both or our top RBs go down what then?

WR is a group in flux, no telling what’ll happen with those guys. Will defenses be able to put 8 in the box against our offense cuz there’s no outside threat? Going long isn’t exactly Goff’s strong point, is it?

Defense

I like what’s going on with our revamped DL. I don’t think you can win in the NFL with a DL that can’t apply pressure on the QB, and apparently the Lions should be able to do that plus stop the run. OTOH, I thought that in past seasons and it never happened.

Who knows what’s going on with the LBs? Maybe okay, maybe not; you can’t really tell nothin’ until the pads come on and somebody get tackled. Or not. I gather that this group got faster, but that ain’t saying a whole lot.

Don’t know what to think of the Safeties on this team. Or the CBs. You want these guys to give the pass rush some time to get home, right? But can they? Dunno. There’s lotsa happy talk about Okudah and Oruwariye and so forth, but how good will they be this year?

Who are the warriors on this defense that set the tone? Do we have one that leads on the field, making plays and energizing the troops? Do we have that guy? Don’t know.

I’ll be honest, I don’t see the Lions making the playoffs. Depending on injuries and the reffing, I’m thinking 6 or 7 wins, which to me means this season is basically a shakedown cruise to see what is going to work and who is going to fit into the Lions plans for 2022 and beyond. Maybe they’ll surprise me, lol they usually do one way or another.

1 Like

#11 TJ Hockenson needs a haircut.

Onzu - is gonna be one…I suspect McNeil may be too, but who knows. Barnes wants to be, if his talent supports. I don’t know enough about Brockers, but he should be a really solid pro. Flowers is an emotional rock that will be really solid.

Okudah has a chance to shine in that way too.

Every dude who doesn’t shave their head needs a haircut. :wink:

1 Like

Just getting ready for the next King of the Smoke Ring commercial.

1 Like

Amon Ra is going to be a solid receiver for us. I am really excited for Jonathan Adams JR. Nobody seems to be talking about him.

1 Like

I’m not sure the corners will suck. If they’re taught technique and how to play within a better system they could be just fine. There’s a lot of questions to be sure. I want to see them on the field first before I make that assumption. Who know what’s going to happen with possible growth, better pass rush, better coaching and better scheme.

1 Like

I expect big things from Flowers this season. Think about our D line the past 3 seasons. Flowers is the one player our opponents had to key in on. Now we have Brockers, and the 2 rooks to go along with Okwara(SP).
I like turning the front into a strength, and I expect Flowers to flourish with talent around him.

2 Likes

I subscribe to The Athletic…my only subscription and they are worth it.

They just had an article about our WR’s. This is what they had to say about Adams

Jonathan Adams
Adams is definitely interesting. Very similar, albeit not as strong and a step slower overall, to Williams in terms of the overall package. Adams is a really smooth athlete, especially in the air. Terrific body control. Great explosion. The undrafted 6-foot-2 rookie out of Arkansas State has shown enough speed to get open at this level so far this offseason.

Strength gains are necessary, though. Adams has made some really impressive plays in one-on-ones this week. But sometimes when he’s in traffic, in a 7-on-7 drill, you can see where lack of play strength will hurt him in certain situations. Definitely worth monitoring, though, he has a lot of talent.

3 Likes

2 Likes

This another bit on Randel El from The Athletic

• It’s interesting watching ex-NFL players who are still relatively young coach in person. Antwaan Randle El, who coaches the wide receivers, looks like he can still run. And, like so many guys on this staff, he is just overflowing with positive energy.

The receivers do everything together, all the time. Right down to synchronized push-ups and cool-down stretches in a circle with Randle El after practice. During practice, he’s on the field with his players, offering corrections as they’re happening.

Instead of running routes vs. air during individual periods, receivers work on their breaks and cuts as Randle El physically gives them different coverage drops to work against. It’s still a walkthrough. But Randle El’s seeing how guys react to things literally as they’re happening from 2 feet away. At one point, Campbell ran over and joined Randle El, standing in as a safety as receivers and tight ends ran routes.

Immediate corrections, with confidence, from a position coach who has played the game at the highest level — you cannot ask for more than that if you’re a young receiver with Detroit. Players love coaches like this, at every level of the sport. Little stuff can add up.

3 Likes

Randall El? TJ and the young receivers love him!

1 Like

One thing to remember about Randle El is that one of the things that helped him is the fact that he can see the game thru the eyes of the QB because he was a QB coming out of college. So his perspective may help his guys start seeing things from the perspective of the QB as well.

3 Likes