#2 Michigan to play #3 Georgia

You make good sense sir.

1 Like

I have no intent to disrespect you alma mater.

However you embody little brother sirā€¦

National Champions- UofM - 11 and MSU- 6
Big 10 Championships- UofM- 43 and MSU- 9

Last 20 games- 10-10
Last 6 games- 3-3
Last 4 games 2-2

The Spartans have been fun to root for, fun to watch, and provided excellent NFL players the past 15 years.

Based on the way MSU fans/grads insist on being involved in U of M affairs- ā€œlittle brotherā€¦ā€

I hope both teams win their bowl games. Period.

Michigan beat Msu this year, 5 legit bad overturned calls or reviewed calls all going msu way helped. Awful, but oh well.

I sure rooted for Sparty to kill OSU. Just like Iā€™ve rooted to a Sparty to beat Notre Dame many many times.

Yes when Bama would have arguably made it over Dame with a lossā€¦ GA was sure to make it no matter what, this the sec was slated to have two chances to make the championship, and yes people are upset.

Bama played 3 teams all year- beat 2, almost lost to a 6 loss team!

GA- played 2 teams all year, list badly to one! Last week!

MI played toughest schedule of any of them, lost a questionable game, dominated most of the rest. Had most impressive last 3 games. They were jumped by a team who almost lost 2 weeks ago then won by 17. U of M beat two top opponents by 14 and 39ā€¦

Yup - all about money.
I didnā€™t like NFL moving to 17 games either.

1 Like

Not a conspiracy.

Since playoff- SEC has had 10 teams with 0 or 1 loss, all 10 made playoff!

Big 10, pac 12, big 12, AC, independents have had 42 such teams and only placed 22 in the playoff.

So SEC keeps recruiting 2nd tier teams. Their horses play 6 games against their side, 3-4 games against Mercer or slippery rock type schools, and 3 across the conference.

Sec is only conference to have a team every year.

Sec had 2 teams ranked preseason top 15 that had 5 losses each last year. 6 preseason top 25 every year without regard to where teams fished last year.

Michigan did not beat MSU this year!

I know the final score. It took 5 overturned calls favoring the same team to get there.

LOL.

Damn UM fans are the most bitter and petty of any program. They make the CFP and still crying about getting rolled by MSU.

Dude, is this you?

college football fan GIF

And each call was right. Btw you should thank Purdue, cause if it wasnā€™t for them no matter what OSU wouldā€™ve played in the BIG ten championship. If the refs were really in favor for MSU there wouldā€™ve called them right on the field. Fucking score TDs instead of FG. Maybe stop the walker.

1 Like

Michigan played Jack shit in their out of conference games.

Western Michigan
Northern Illinois
Washington

Trash.

They played 4 teams ranked at the time #'s 2, 8, 15 and 23. To their credit, all 4 were in the back half of the season and truer indicators of those teams talent levels than possible preseason misranking or cupcake drubbings.

If they win the championship going through #3 and #1, itā€™s a helluva feat added to the 4 other ranked teams.

Iā€™d like to see it personally. Iā€™m at about 35/65 it happens though.

3 Likes

Dont forget their west division big ten teams that they played were combined 8-19. It was the Purdue game that got uofm in champion game. With that said uofm has a very good team, I wouldnā€™t be shocked to see them upset the Bulldogs.

1 Like

Iā€™m a fan of both teams. Spartans have had more success lately but I hope this year brings back the Wolverines.

The ā€˜little brotherā€™ thing always stuck me as condescending and douchey. Youā€™re both good big ten schools. You both represent the mitten. No need to denigrate each other

2 Likes

Iā€™m a Spartan fan that sees Michigan beating Georgia rather easily!!!

Then I see Alabama beating Mich rather easilyā€¦

1 Like

I get this weird ā€œ2002 Ohio Stateā€ feeling about Michiganā€¦ :woozy_face:

I went to neither. I am a cmu guy. Just like many I grew up watching Michigan because my father did. My love for football, and appreciation for the underdog led me to following state as well.

From 1970 to the ā€œPride comes before the fallā€ speech by Dantonio- the Spartans were 7-30 vs Michigan from 1970 to 2007ā€¦. That covers most of our adult lives, color TVs etc. Iā€™m aware that State was DOMINANT prior 1970 for 20 years, and Michigan was dominant before that for 50ā€¦.

Iā€™m just talking about the beginning of modern football- Aka- after the NFL United NFC and AFC- 70s and beyondā€¦. It wasnā€™t much of a rivalry for 40 years

MARTYMC- I love reading your posts brother. This one kind of sums up what I was trying to say thoughā€¦ State played West division opponents with a combined record of 22-26ā€¦.Michiganā€™s record was also 20-28. State played Purdue- Michigan played Wisky. Both went 8-4ā€¦. Michigan played 2 bowl bound teams out of conference, so did state. Miami and Washington were scheduled to be big games, they just underperformed. ESPECIALLY Washington!

Sparty had an awesome year too. Loved the Penn State game. Just like I hoped like Hell they would beat Bama in the playoffs a few years back.

MSU literally beat one team all year with 4 or less lossesā€¦ just the Michigan game. You guys can call me a whiny fan if you want, but the Packers would same the same about Lions fans, and we feel pretty just as we watch the gamesā€¦.

1. When there are 20 videos of the Walker ā€œflipā€ on the web, it could be determined that many sources at least question that call

2. The sack fumble, that the head of officiating maybe a ā€œtheismanā€ comment on in real time, and suggested it was too close to be possible to reverse? Yes his shin looked down, but yes the initial hit jarred the ball loose and he started losing control well before said shin. Again that was a crazy ā€œreversal.ā€

3. The targeting call wasnā€™t targeting, I agree, but calling targeting negated calling hit on a defenseless receiver. Instead of manslaughter, the refs called murder 2, and after review they let him off completely. If it was called roughing instead, add 15 yards, and MI has ball on State 40 vs punting from own 45ā€¦

4. The State pass that was called incomplete on 3rd down, the one that dead on clearly looked liked it hit the turf and bounced up, but from the side looked like a catchā€¦. That one was called incomplete- time to punt, the head of officiating states he sees the ball move as it hits the ground and should standā€¦? Nope reversed again.

5. Walker scored on 3rd and one on the right side, and announcers questioned his knee down. I couldnā€™t tell, but it looked down with ball near the half yard lineā€¦. They never even fully review, just quick kick.

6. Did Williams not pull Sanristil down around the waist, and grose just hit him at the same time before ball got there on 4th and 3?

7. After all weā€™ve seen on completing the process, hard to advocate Jayden Reed didnā€™t lose possession on the game tying 2pt.

Thatā€™s a lot, I mean a lot of calls to all go one wayā€¦

Bama vs Auburn wasnā€™t quite as badā€¦.BUT wasnā€™t Bigsbys momentum clearly stopped in the field of play? Watch it, then read the rule- if forward momentum is stopped in the field of play, click keeps rolling even inside 2 minutes. Bama had him by back of jersey and drug him 2 yards sideways. Yet they kept the clock stopped. Had it kept rolling, Bama would have had just about 17 seconds to go 97 yardsā€¦. If with the misinterpretation of the rules, the bama receiver still blatantly pushed off badly at the 6 yard line to catch a tying td.

So back to my point- not going to the playoff, but instead finding ways to make it about one controversial game 6 weeks ago is exactly where the little brother comment came from. It is douchey, but until most Spartan fans can say - ā€œgreat year go get us a Big 10 Natty Championsipā€ instead of telling MI they were lucky Purdue kicked States butt, then State fans are equally douchey.

They are both excellent and storied programs. Both had great years.

I kind of see the same.

I posted earlier how sad the SEC bias is though. They were putting an sec team #1 no matter what result last week.

My point is if MSU beat Purdueā€¦OSU would be in the championship game due to the three way tie breaker. The calls were right. Iā€™m not sure why people keep bringing them up.

So weird to me that fans of those teams claim to ā€œhateā€ each other.
Players were extremely competitive, even when one or the other was having a down year, because they arenā€™t afraid of each other. They played against each other in high school, so thereā€™s a familiarity there.

Big10 is more 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Other conferences have more home run hitters. Kelly told us that in his class, they recruit speed from the south, and thatā€™s just a thing. Get some big olā€™, OL from up north, and your speed guys from the south.

1 Like

And if PSU beat Michigan State, Sparty would be playing in the Outback bowl. And if Michigan would have beat Sparty, they would be number 1 and playing, well letā€™s be honest, number 4 Georgia in the Orange Bowl.

2 Likes

So far the bowl dropouts include Thibodough and OLB Bonitto from Oklahoma. Funny as their teams are playing each other in their bowl game. This gets back to my thoughts on players dropping out if there are too many games to reach the national championship.

Ohio State has shown them for 15 odd years.

I agree with you though, it will be tough sledding running on Georgia. Theyā€™ll need to hit outside zones and quick hitters. And the QB will need to have a game. One factor that could help is that Georgiaā€™s offense isnā€™t that great either.