#2 Michigan to play #3 Georgia

kalspa….I don’t think it’s a strawman. He’s just arguing a different point and while it’s not relative to what I was saying…I believe he is just sharing what he is seeing out of some Michigan fans. I too see Michigan fans who think Michigan should be the 1 seed and should be playing Cincinnati and that ‘ Bama and Georgia should be playing in the other semi. But the great majority of what I am seeing on social media, whether it’s here, 247 or Facebook is that a lot of Spartan, Buckeye and Irish fans are bitter pissed that they can’t ridicule Michigan and specifically Jim Harbaugh for not winning a Big Ten title, not making the CFP, not beating OSU and finishing no higher than third in the East division. I see more of that than I am seeing Michigan fans complaining about having to play Georgia.

I don’t know anyone like this, seriously. We give eachother shit because that’s what fans do. And since UM literally called in sick rather than take an epic ass whooping at the hands of OSU last year…they won’t be able to live that down for several more years anyways. And we are talking about a team that has beaten OSU 3 times in 20 years and their “little brother” 4 times in the last 14 years. One year isn’t going to make up for all of that. They have a long road to haul.

I was watching a pregame special where a UM fan was blowing out his birthday candles and wishing UM could beat OSU for the next 20 years. It seems absurd, but that’s literally what they’d have to do to get above even in the series over a 40 year span. Again, you can’t erase that in a single year. And just to bring it home…OSU, ND and MSU have all been to the playoffs. So that isn’t it either. Its just ribbing some fans, most of which never even attended the school. Lighten up francis.

Look it’s not my beef or my problem. I don’t feel the need to prove my disdain for “SCUM” by tryna tear down what they have accomplished this year. My Irish aren’t in it and they won’t going a conference so I’m not gone bark up that tree. That said…even with OSU’s 20 year dominance they still find themselves down 59-52 and a few ties…so just imagine how much SCUM has dominated them prior. I won’t even speak on “Lil brother”…don’t wanna ruffle your feather any more than I already have. We are just gonna have to chalk this up as to what you are seeing on social media and what I am seeing on social media are two different arguing points…. :man_shrugging:

Clearly. My timeline is full of actual graduates from MSU, UM and OSU…so maybe that makes a difference?

The Michigan fans sure have developed the loser attitude. I thought I was bad. I was more afraid of OSU to be honest.

Maybe so…I don’t know these people personally so I can’t tell if they are actual graduates to any of the institutions. All I know is that I am a Notre Dame grad….that’s the only thing I am sure of :man_shrugging:

How many times are you going to try to bait me into that talk, Wes? Anyway, I haven’t seen one post from any Michigan fans on any of my social media sites ‘whining’ about having to play Georgia. Not one. Maybe you should associate yourself with a better class of Michigan fan. Perhaps that would lower your salt level by a few degrees.

1 Like

To be specific, before this year, in 7 years of playoffs, 4 teams (Oklahoma, Clemson, OSU and Alabama) have taken up 20 of 28 playoff spots. (71%). ND is the only other team that has made more than 1 appearance. Appearances in the National Championship playoff are huge recruiting tools. So unlike the NFL, the good teams get better thanks to a bump in recruiting—so it’s kind of a self fulfilling prophecy. And to be clear, I ain’t mad at Alabama for example.

As the old saying goes “Don’t hate the player, hate the game.” And right now, I hate the game that the NCAA and ESPN has created.

Happy that Michigan is in, but I realize that given the current state of college football—it may be another 7 years before they make another appearance.

I would even be OK with 6 teams with #1 and #2 getting a bye and the 3-6 teams playing a “play in” game to get to them

But 8 teams to me is good. This year that would get ND, Baylor, Oregon and say Ohio State in the mix maybe

Would, for example let them put the two best of the SEC and B1G, best of The Pac 12 and Big 12 and two other top teams in. The only thing I don’t like about that is ND, who plays a really weak schedule and a couple games against has been USC would be in position to be in every year. They really need to get in a good conference to force their SoS up….but they never will. Not as long as they can skate by and get their 10-11 wins every year. Heck, they will probably drop Cincy now that they lost them.

I don’t hate ND but I take their record every year with a huge grain of salt. I mean they only played one ranked team this year and they lost to them

Meanwhile in the SEC and B1G teams are playing a ranked team every other week. So yea…big grain of salt when ND fans think they got screwed this year because they only had 1 loss and missed the playoffs

1 Like

100% agree. I thought the big holdup with expanding the playoff field was that there was a lot of entrenched resistance to expanding it at all, and that they were thinking like six or eight on the absolute outside. I was pretty surprised that 12 is the number being bounced around now, that seems way too high to me.

Not only does it devalue the regular season, but it devalues the playoffs too. You might occasionally get an early round upset, but does anyone really think a number 11 or 12 team is going to suddenly running the gauntlet and win 3 in a row against the top teams in college football to win a championship? Just seems dumb. 6 or 8 is plenty.

2 Likes

I think what is likely to happen is that NFL bound players will bow out, then who wins?

1 Like

Yea

To me the only reason for 12 is the same reason the NFL added a 17th game…$$$

To me it is entirely possible that a fifth or sixth team could potentially win it all but doesn’t make the playoffs when it’s only 4. But the #9-#12…almost zero chance

That’s a good argument for a six team playoff with the top two seeds getting a bye.

I think that would definitely factor in if they went to a system where a winning team might play like 4 postseason games. But if it’s just one or two extra like now? So far, the past few years would suggest more guys are willing to stay if they think their team has a chance for a title than they do if it’s just a bowl game.

Honestly I think it just stays where it is now… The teams are still in it…their players will play.

I think if it’s 4, 6, 8, 12 I think the players would play if their team is still in it

I totally get why the departing players whose teams are playing in some meaningless Bowl Game make a business decision

No doubt, honestly you have to be a little crazy to risk your professional future for an exhibition game, I never question that decision.

EDIT:
In case I need to say it, I don’t mean to denigrate guys who stay. If you care about your team, your program, that’s great, and your teams fans will love you. But if you’re a likely high first round pick? That’s a lot of money to gamble with.

1 Like

And maybe it’s not a big deal, but to me it’s simply part of the conversation.

1 Like

I think 12 is the sweet number. It gives you 4 first round games with 4 teams on a bye. It puts extra value on winning your conference because you are playing for a playoff spot. It values winning because your ranking gets you in the top 4 and you get a bye. It values winning IMO.

I’d add it’s good to end the bowl games because they just aren’t worth it to players any more. An expansion of the playoffs gives these teams something to play for as well.

1 Like

Agree.
First two rounds are played at the higher seeds home field final three games can rotate.

Be fun to see southern teams go North in December, see them play in a game similar to the PSU/MSU conditions we just saw.

2 Likes

The SEC will fight like hell against that, but I 100% agree with you. Put some value on winning and gaining some sort of home field advantage out of it.

1 Like

Do I think the #10 or #12 ranked team in the country can beat teams in the top 5? Absolutely. If you took the March Madness tourney and only gave it the top 12 teams…that would only be the top 3 seeds in each region.

2 Likes