2022 NFL Mock Draft: Kayvon Thibodeaux goes No. 1 to Detroit Lions,

Case Keenum is Jared Goff lite, but not by much.

1 Like

If he had the line they expected, I imagine we would see a very different Goff, even with the bargain-bin receivers. Dan said in off-season that he wanted a team that didn’t live and die on the arm of the QB. Well, Ragnow and Decker would help on that front.

Of course, they would help. But just like MC/DC said in his press conference. I’m paraphrasing - We got Hock open on the Hitch, instead we hold the ball, take a sack and fumble in the redzone. If we throw the ball to the wide open hitch, the sack/fumble never happens.

1 Like

It has been going on for 3 yrs. Carr is a much better QB. Goff struggles if his first read is taken, he’s not confident throwing downfield and hasn’t been for yrs. His pocket presence is poor, he has a bad habit of drifting back and that really hurts the OTs, giving edge rushers a big advantage. When things start to breakdown, he’s probably at his worst. He doesn’t see the field well, and doesn’t read the D well.

McVey talked about having the offense limited because of Goffs weaknesses.

Here’s a link that backs up much of that, and again the rams boards back it up as well.

It does suck. The cap hit means he’s here next yr. We are much further ahead if Goff is the answer. We failed to give him the best situation we could, but it’s not looking good. The change of scenery doesn’t seem to be helping

1 Like

Campbell said exactly that about drifting back in the pocket and causing holding calls @ the 48 second mark of the video. I like that coach is speaking the truth and being honest.

3 Likes

Sure. And he also knocked him for drifting back in the pocket instead of stepping into it, causing an OT to have to hold. He deserves a lot of criticism.

Even so, were the line where they expected, Goff would play more comfortably.

1 Like

It’s not all on the QB for sure. I think the loss of Ragnow really hurts the running game. We were running it very well to start the season before he went down. He’s a beast in the run game. Now teams are loading the box to stop the run and daring Goff to beat us.

1 Like

Thanks for talking me off the ledge, which, as a Lions fan, I call home. It’s gonna get better, right? Right???

2 Likes

Animated GIF

2 Likes

Not sure that drafting a replacement for Alim McNeil already is a good use of resources.

Exactly. That would be the concern. But they are both athletic, maybe they could push the pocket together and play some 3 tech. If both are 2 down players, its hard to pull the trigger there.

GIF by SundanceTV

So you’re standing on shaky ground too close to the edge? Let’s see if you know the ledge.

(sorry, it’s a reference to amuse myself and likely a handful of other people here)

Yeah I think you can win with damn near any NFL QB if the surrounding talent is good enough. Dilfer won a Super Bowl ffs. So did Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler and Mark Rypien. The Vikings won with Case Keenum, the Texans won for awhile with Matt freaking Schaub, the Pats won with Matt Cassel, the Panthers won with Delhomme, the Saints won with Hebert, the Jets won with Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Bills won with Tyrod Taylor, the Bears have won decently with an assortment of bad QBs.

Can we add the Rams and Jared Goff to that list? It’s probably inconclusive at this point, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if you could.

3 Likes

It’s not just about this season. He was average to below average the two seasons prior to this one as well with a much better supporting cast. We’re working on a 2+ season sample size of him being around the 17th-20th best QB in the league.

I’m not saying that the Lions have to rush to take a QB in this draft but I have little doubt that they will have to take one in the 2023 draft at the latest and I’m talking 1st round QB.

2 Likes

Fit the scheme to the talent, not the talent to the scheme.

I’d be happy with Jordan Davis.

I sure hope you’re right, bro. I’m just being honest in saying I’ve lost some faith in him.

Ya got that right, holmes - holy shit!

If this is true - Good enough! Let’s spend our resources elsewhere.

That’s what I see too

Hulk Hogan Sport GIF by WWE

4 Likes

Edge has much better hair! Sorry @BigNatty - In fact, that might be the most hair I’ve ever seen Hogan have. ha ha