3-4 Defense and Micah Parsons

Parsons is a stud on the field. I know off the field a team will really have to do some digging. There are issues apparently.

One guy I like is Zaven Collins. He is IMO what we wanted Tavai to be except he isn’t slow like Tavai at like 260. He is a little insane actually with his athleticism at that size.

Good point, thanks :blush:

I do too. I’m kind of split between Parsons and Collins. There’s a lot to like about both of them and some minor flags to be investigated on each as well. I’d love to see us get either one. It’s going to be interesting to see what direction they go in upgrading linebacker, probably going to be door #3, :laughing:

I like Collins and Parsons and I think either one would be really good for us in different ways. If we are intent on using a much more attacking/blitzing front then I think Parsons is the guy. If your looking for a big, athletic, versatile, Mike LB I think Collins is your guy. Honestly I’d be pretty excited for either one.

1 Like

If we re-sign Jarrad Davis, draft Micah Parsons, get production from Jamie Collins and allow Julian Okwara to be a OLBer yes, there is a lot to like there.

We have Tavai and he is a fine 5th/depth LBer.
I would be fine with drafting Parsons but I don’t love LBer that high but I would be cool with that too.

Teams throw underneath on us all day long. The FIRST thing I want to hear about is their coverage skills and thinking if we get a good LB it will fix our DL issue’s is just asking for it. Collins played well in a zone, so there’s nothing to really go on if he’s going to be asked to play man in the NFL. From what I read Parsons is decent in man but more at home in zone as well.

I think Collins would be an OLB in a 3-4 while Parsons could play both inside and outside.

Both are good fits in my opinion.

I love Parson and Collins as players.

I actually like a few LBers in this draft class.

Jabril Cox from LSU has range and I love LBers with range. I think he goes round 2. With a good combine he might surprise some people. The kid can play.

Nick Bolton and Dylan Moses are two more LBers with a lot of range.

I honestly think the Lions can get a good LBer round two if they choose to go WR or DE round one.

I actually prefer Collins as a 4-3 OLB or perhaps even a Mike in a cover 2 heavy system. Something where he’s in coverage a lot. I think he can be elite in that facet right out of the gate. I don’t think Collins is very developed as a pass rusher right now.

I feel Parsons is the superior freak type athlete at LB. If we ended up with a Devin White, Patrick Willis, Bobby Wagner, Luke Keuchly-esque player, well that can be a total game changer and a cornerstone of a Super Bowl level Defense.

On an unrelated note but on the topic of playing a 3-4, curious what position Rousseau would play. Seems to me he’s a 4-3 DE. But a lot of his splash plays came from inside. He’s probably too light to play 5Tech. Anyone see it differently ?

Zaven Collins is a freak as well

ezgif.com-gif-maker

1 Like

Nothing really to fix. He’s the best LB we have. I think he’d be more of an ILB in a pure 3-4. J Okwara can play WOLB. Parsons you’d probably want as your SOLB. Hand and Flowers as your ends and Shelton/Penisini as your NT. Upgrades welcome.

Davis is a FA so I don’t know that he is a natural fit. He’s bad as a stack and shed ILB as he gets stalemated on the stack, and he rarely sheds. He can’t cover. So his best shot IMO is SOLB for him. But that’s just a projection. I know MCD spoke highly of him specifically, so maybe they get him back on a friendly deal based on the intensity factor.

I think Parsons would be capable of playing any LB role in the 3-4, but would be more valuable on the outside where he can get sacks and pressures.

This team with its existing talent is ripe to take a leap ahead with the tone set by MCDC and crew. With reasonably normal off season activities and training camp resuming as vaccinations spread, the results will come quickly. IMO.

1 Like

Yeah I agree especially on Parsons. I think he best fits on the outside, but I’d also like to see him move to the Mike on occasion to blitz from there like Penn St. did . He can drop in coverage a bit to so you can use him in some disguised looks on occasion.

1 Like

I thought the combine and team visits were canceled? Pro days only is what I heard?

I agree, I like some of these linebackers coming out

Does anybody else feel like getting two good big fast LBs who can cover ground and be effective in coveages would go an extra long way to making this defense half decent? That was the problem for like 3 years.

I mean if we grabbed Zaven Collins or Parsons, and a player like Browning later on, we are instantly better IMO.

1 Like

LBs are not enough. Need good down linemen, too.

WTF dude? You just named over half the defense. I guess you are going to ask for quality defensive backs too? Stop being greedy!

the polka king money GIF by NETFLIX

1 Like

Would it be better if I said “a couple”? (LineMEN, as in more than 1)

We are definitely further away from respectability on defense than 2 linebackers.

1 Like

We are only allowed 2 to 3 quality football players on defense at a time…max. its a weird Detroit rule.

2 Likes

In that case, and assuming Okudah is one of the 3, give me two on the line like Suh and Fairly and we’ll roll with Whiteheads and Durants at LB.