True

DE-Hand
NT-Penisini/FA/DP
DE-William/FA/DP

SLB-Collins/FA/DP
MLB-Davis/Tavai/FA/DP
WLB-Parsons
JLB-R.Okwara/J.Okawra

I don’t see Flowers as a 3-4 DE, maybe he and Collins can compete for the SLB role.

That is the way I felt before we hired Dom Capers and the ILB coach from Chicago. If we are going all in on a 3-4 defense, then that changes the calculus IMO. Our OLB’s become pass rush types. That means (IMHO) that Julian Okwara starts at one spot. Collins is under contract for another season and is versatile enough to play ILB or SOLB. So we need two new starters, and big and fast is never a bad thing, but we do have Austin Bryant who fits the SOLB profile. We’ve got NT handled with Shelton if we want to keep him or Penisini starting if we cut him. Flowers and Hand are the DE’s. Parsons of course could fit inside or out. DeLeon had Roquan Smith playing inside as a #8OA pick so it’s not like we couldn’t put Parsons inside in a base set and starting Nickle LB.

1 Like

I may have missed it, but have they said we’re running a 3-4 or is it speculation?

Tis the season…

Browning isn’t that fast in the games I have seen. A borderline big slug…Lions already have those…I’d rather grab Jabril Cox - OLB LSU, #87, in the 3rd Round, personally…Am still trying to decide whether WR Smith or Waddle, are better than Parson.IMO, all may still be available at #10, securing an additional 3rd Rounder…Parsons & Cox would shore up the Lions Linebacking woes, for sure. Parsons could have a much longer career here than either Smith or Waddle. But both WR’s score points and have Home Run ability in spades. Have heard Parsons is the best LB to come out in last 3-4 years,and would make everyone on the Defense better. But Goff needs weapons, NOW !!..

Great LB’s are harder to find than Great WR’s. But again, Parsons has off-the-field problems, the WR’s don’t have. WR Smith has Jerry Rice attributes and more potential upside than Parsons. Tough Decisions ALL AROUND. All are Game Breakers !!! - GOALPOST

Browning IS Jarrad Davis guys. Great athlete that seems out of control sometimes and can’t cover. He just did it at the college level, but playing at Ohio State probably boosted his draft stock to where it is now.

I was trying to be more diplomatic…lol

I’ll leave that to you. I have no filter or restraint when it comes to the OSU linebackers.

Paddy Fisher in the 5th. Didn’t live up to the billing until this year. AP All Big 10 First Team, 6’3.5", 240.

Paddy Fisher’s been good his whole career. Really smart player.

To my knowledge, total speculation. Chicago runs it and our new Inside LB Coach comes from there. The designation could be considered a key, because I’ve never heard of a MLB coach? Next is Dom Capers who’s been in the league forever, but widely known as a 3-4 guy. His hire was like “wow” to me. That dude is a former HC and was pretty good as I was living in NC when they stood up the Panthers. That was Kevin Green and Lamar Lathon teeing off as 3-4 OLBs. Kevin Greene had 14.5 sacks and Lamar Lathon had 13.5 one year. Think Blitzburgh.

But Glenn is the man. Not those guys. So he could announce tomorrow that we are running a 4-3. That’s what the Saints run. I looked at Glenn’s prior stops looking for 3-4, but got pulled for honeyduty. (The nerve). Maybe as a player with the Jets? Just DeLeon and Capers sort of raises the flag. Say what you will about Patricia, the fact is we don’t have all 3-4 or 4-3 players. We have a whole bunch of yes. We just put them in different spots.

1 Like

Well, not exactly…“Due to his poor performance last season, Fisher chose to return for a fifth season in Evanston, giving him one last chance to reclaim the high draft stock he once had.”

Ok. Didn’t realize he slumped as a Junior. He was terrific as an underclassmen.

Thank you sir, appreciate it. I’m gonna cling to my hope we return to a 4-3 then. I’m not much for a 3-4, and still think it’s easier to build a good 4-3. Over 1/2 the league runs a 4-3.

However, I do think we’re heading towards a 3-4, and I don’t think we have the personnel to have a good 3-4. I really think we’re closer to a decent 4-3. Like you said Capers is a 3-4 guy, though he’s got some 4-3 experience as well. Deleone or something like that from Chicago I know nothing about, but it might be another clue as you say.

I also heard or read somewhere they were keeping the same scheme Patricia ran. So thought maybe I had missed something. Anyway thanks again I appreciate the clarity!

I think he’s going to be overlooked, if he’s there in the 5th I’d take him.

Depends on how he tests

It’s not a horrible draft for LB’s so it’s hard to say where he would go. I’d take him over Tavai tomorrow

After impressing at the Senior Bowl do you think Jabril Cox makes it to our 2nd round pick? His length and coverage ability make him a similar prospect to, dare I say, Fred Warner maybe?

Yeah I’d prefer 4-3 as well. I actually didn’t mind the hybrid player / scheme approach. It was the complete lack of being able to generate a pass rush with his combo of scheme and players. You can’t build a feet of stone front 7 and expect to rush or cover with them. That was game set match because they never realized how asinine that was. If they had any speed to them whatsoever… JRM, Julian Okwara, Miles Killebrew they freaking sat for Tavai and Christian Jones. Saddest part was, that they sacrificed speed and range for size to stop the run and 4 teams allowed more rushing yards and one team allowed a higher YPC average than us.

1 Like