Aaron Glen Is Officially On Notice

You can’t give up a historical performance like this and expect to have any job security. Dan’s face said it all at the end of the game. Friends or not, this crossed a line.

4 Likes

I think it’s really hard for Dan because that’s his buddy

6 Likes

I’ll be shocked if the defense plays this shitty all year
These coaches showed so much last year
What happened?

4 Likes

That’s what I don’t understand. We literally were pulling bodies off the street last year and they were playing better. What the hell is going on here.

4 Likes

Same
I cannot understand this performance in any way
They were supposed to BUILD on last year
Not regress
Today was an obvious regression
Not a positive sign in any way

1 Like

We really need to make it to the bye week 2-3 for us to have a shot at competing for a wild card spot. The offense is clearly capable. Hopefully the additions of Jacobs, Cominsky, Paschal, Levi, and Romeo can make this defense a little better. At this point they can’t get much worse.

1 Like

The players under him are regressing. Thats a really bad sign.

4 Likes

I’m not ready to pull the plug on Glenn just yet. I think his defense showed a lot of fight last year and thought he did a solid job overall. This year has been pathetic. If we are not showing significant progress over these next 3-4 weeks I would definitely consider pulling the plug during the season.

2 Likes

Me either. But it’s time to step up. Patch a game plan together for this coming weekend and then use the bye to make whatever sustainable changes/tweaks you need too.

1 Like

Glenn has been around football a long time and i have no doubt he is a very good leader and a secondary coach. But his lack of Defensive coordinator skills such as play calling, tendencies, in game decision making etc. really are starting to leave a lot to be desired.

He is 18 months into the gig and you would hope he is smart enough to recognize and learn from the experience but it is easy see why fans are losing faith in him. That was utterly pathetic stuff yesterday regardless of injuries and talent on the field. I don’t think he will be sacked but I think he has damaged a lot of his goodwill he had built up and unless there is a reaction from him and the D the leash will continue to tighten.

Inexperienced/first time coordinator learning on the job shouldn’t buy you time for the ineptitude we saw yesterday. Especially when the other first time coordinator on the other side of the ball is taking scrap pieces and forming them into a high functioning offense.

2 Likes

The problem I see is the defense is getting worse. If we were just a bad defense we would be 3-1.

7 Likes

Aaron Glenn is becoming the Aaron Curry of defensive coordinators.

2 Likes

In Glenn’s case we seem to remember last year being better than it was. The 2021 season began with the 49ers hanging 41 points on us and the Packers hanging 35. The season ended with the Seahawks hanging 51 on us and the Packers putting up 30. In total we gave up 30 or more points 7 times and 40 or more points 3 times. And teams like the 49ers, Eagles, Bengals and Broncos could have scored more if they had to. We just didn’t have a high powered offense they needed to stay out in front of.

I guess we have to look at it as an improvement. We gave up 44 to the Eagles and they put up 38 on us this year. We gave up 51 to the Seahawks and they put up 48 this year. Baby steps! :rofl:

steps babys GIF

1 Like

This defense competed last year. Every game we played in last year our defense had a major talent deficiency against the offense we played. Yet somehow they stepped up in many games like the Ravens, Steelers, Browns, Bears, Vikings, Falcons, and Cardinals games. We held each of those teams to 20 or less points. Lamar Jackson needed a 66 yard FG to beat us as time expired in a 19-17 game. This year it looks like the Ravens would drop 50 on us. We looked awesome against mobile QB’s last year and this year we look lost. We ended the season with the below defensive roster last year. That could potentially be the least talented defensive lineup I’ve ever seen yet somehow they were better than what we have shown so far.

Interior defensive line (6)

• 4i - Michael Brockers (91)neck, questionable
  • 3T - Nick Williams (97)
  • NT - Alim McNeill (54)*
  • DL - Levi Onwuzurike* (75)
  • NT - John Penisini (98)
  • DL - Jashon Cornell (96)

EDGE Rushers (4 + 1)

Off-the-ball linebacker (5)

Cornerback (4)

• Ifeatu Melifonwu (26)*
  • SS - Will Harris (25)
  • Mark Gilbert* (40)
  • Bobby Price (27)

Nickelback (1)

• NB AJ Parker (41)*

Safety (5)

• FS - Tracy Walker (21)
  • SS - Dean Marlowe (31)
  • C.J. Moore (38)
  • Jalen Elliott (42)
  • Brady Breeze (15)

I think fans looked at games like the 49ers, Packers, Eagles, Broncos and Seahawks as outliers. They were closer to par for the course than we would really like to admit. We were not even competitive in those games. At least this year we are.

1 Like

We are competitve this years because we have the best offense in the league. In those games our offense was trash as well leaving our defense on the field for long stretches making things even worse. This year our offense has sustained drives which should mean our defense is playing better as they are much fresher. Unfortunately that hasnt been the case.

2 Likes

I believe that we have the number 1 offense because we have a rock solid offensive line. I believe Jared Goff is average to good, but not ready to even put him at very good. But he is not the problem. I believe our skill positions are good at best right now. With injuries to key skill players, we still put up 45 last week. I think our offense is absolutely not the problem.

Our defense does not have a rock solid defensive line. And, I believe it all starts in the trenches. Until we get that D-Line up to snuff, our LBs and Secondary will suffer. That isn’t to say that those units are ready as is. I have no belief that they are there talent wise either. But I believe you have to build the trenches first and then shore up the other units.

I am glad our O is humming. But we will go as far as the D takes us… and that isn’t looking like it is going to be very far. I stand by that I expect six wins this year. Kool-aid made me hope for 10, but 6 should still be in play. If you thought we had a playoff team this year, well I believe you are heading for disappointment. If you expected a lot of fight and to lose some heartbreakers, you are right on schedule.

1 Like

As it should have. There’s no excuse for scoring 45 points in an nfl game and losing. The first time in Seahawks history they never had to punt. Absolutely unacceptable.

2 Likes

It’s also a huge help that we have a new offensive coordinator that the nfl doesn’t have much film on. Nobody is able to spot his tendencies yet. I believe that also helped glenn a little bit last year. I’ve been very impressed with Johnson so far. He hasn’t had a ton of plays that made me scratch my head and say what was that.

1 Like

The defense has no excuse, I agree. Check out these disgusting drive charts from this weekend and last year against the Seahawks. At least last year we held them to 1 punt!

1 Like