AG on the defense

He’s clear that he expects the starting safeties to be Tracy and Kerby and CJGJ to be starting at nickel. No surprises but he definitely knows his expectations for his starting group. Compares Martin to Linval Joseph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeBTTfgCW_I

4 Likes

Yes please!!!

7 Likes

Wouldn’t that be amazing? Then McNeill can concentrate more on getting after the QB. Buggs and Jones as 3 and 4 on the depth chart with LO as a wildcard really brings this group together

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I listened to that entire video. There was no mention of AG’s defense. All I heard was different aspects of Ben’s offense.

2 Likes

Martin Lawrence Lol GIF by HBO Max

1 Like

here ya go… it was next video…

5 Likes

Thanks homie!
Nice To Meet You Nicolas Cage GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

No surprises there to me. I kept saying this in threads where people were saying Walker would be coming off the bench. Blew my mind when I’d continually see Branch in the proposed starting lineups either at NB or S and Walker as ‘depth’ behind CJGJ/Branch at S.

3 Likes

Hope we play Carolina 16 times a year. He had little pass rush success outside of that game. I’m hopeful but I just don’t think losing some weight will change him into Gerald McCoy… Hope I’m wrong.

Yes you definitely did say this for sure.

In a base set 4-2-5 if CGJ plays down then Tracey would be the “other” safety with Kerby.

But what happens when CGJ plays deep? We gonna have Tracey still on the field hovering in the box or covering the nickel??

I don’t think so…I think it’ll be Will Harris or Branch in that package.

Alim had a sack, 3 QB hits, and 3 TFLs in the Giants game.

I think the hope some of us have is that his weight loss allows his m to resemble the player that flashed at NC State before they asked him to gain weight and play “zero” technique. Alim was quite disruptive at NC State early on…. but they changed schemes his last year and he added 30+ pounds to play NT.

3 Likes

And that change was for the better.

" INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE

First-Team: Alim McNeil, NC State
McNeil played 87% of his total snaps at heads-up nose tackle this year, making his production nothing short of incredible. Only one player since 2014 has produced a higher PFF grade at 0-technique than McNeil’s 90.5 this season (former Mississippi State Bulldog and current Tennessee Titan Jeffery Simmons in 2017).

McNeil won 10% of his pass-rush snaps at nose tackle, an impressive figure in its own right, but the reason for his success is all due to his run defense. He was a constant disruptor and fully deserved the 92.1 run-defense grade on the year.

2 Likes

I was beating this drum in those threads as well, so not a surprise to me at all either. Guy was playing 1 on 11 sometimes it seemed last year.

3 Likes

I guess we can agree to disagree.

IMO… his most impressive film was at a lighter weight when he was quicker.

1 Like

Great debate to have, Mcneil is a solid player at both DT spots.
What a good draft pick he was

1 Like

Maybe, but his most impressive stats, by far, were at the heavier weight. My personal opinion is asking him what weight he thinks he can perform best at and going from there.

1 Like

Alim had more sacks …. TFLs… solo tackles… and batted passes as a Fr and Soph when he played at a lighter weight….

[quote=“1CasanovaJack, post:12, topic:23883”

And again…

" INTERIOR DEFENSIVE LINE

First-Team: Alim McNeil, NC State
McNeil played 87% of his total snaps at heads-up nose tackle this year, making his production nothing short of incredible. Only one player since 2014 has produced a higher PFF grade at 0-technique than McNeil’s 90.5 this season (former Mississippi State Bulldog and current Tennessee Titan Jeffery Simmons in 2017).

McNeil won 10% of his pass-rush snaps at nose tackle, an impressive figure in its own right, but the reason for his success is all due to his run defense. He was a constant disruptor and fully deserved the 92.1 run-defense grade on the year.

Where are the disruptor stats? What was his PFF grades those years? INT returned for a TD. What was his impact? He was playing a different position and killed it. If those stats were the qualifier how did he get the highest 0-technique grade since 2014? Apples and Oranges, he played well at both positions but his biggest “impact” was his play at the 0-tech.

2020 First team All ACC, Second team All American
Any awards for 2019 or 2018?

SO much more appropriate than “pounding the table” (like some of these pervs).

2 Likes

he had more playing time as a junior….
but he wasn’t struggling in his first 2 years by any stretch…

1 Like