Alim McNeil: Most Pressures Since PFF Began Tracking For 320+ Pound Player

Lions DT Alim McNeill sets new PFF record after huge game vs. Giants

Detroit Lions defensive tackle Alim McNeill did something no 320-pounder has ever done in the PFF era.

By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion Nov 21, 2022, 10:30am EST

4 Comments / 4 New

Share this story

Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images

If you watched even a portion of the Detroit Lions’ decisive 31-18 victory over the New York Giants, you likely saw defensive tackle Alim McNeill make a big play or two. On the traditional stat sheet, it was a solid day for the 325-pound defender: four tackles, three tackles for loss, a sack, and four quarterback hits.

McNeill was a big reason the Lions were able to hold Saquon Barkley—the NFL’s leading rusher going into Week 11—to just 22 rushing yards on 15 carries.

But dig a little deeper into McNeill’s breakout day and you’ll find an even more impressive performance. According to PFF’s Doug Kyed, McNeill tallied a whopping 10 pressures on Giants quarterback Daniel Jones. That is uncharted territory for players like McNeill. According to Kyed, those 10 pressures are the most recorded by PFF from a player over 320 pounds since the analytics site started tracking that stat (2006).

“I just woke up feeling a little different today,” McNeill told Lions reporter Dannie Rogers after the game. “I was just telling myself, ‘It’s time to go ahead and get myself on the scene.’”

And while this game was certainly a “Better Learn My Name” performance from McNeill, coach Dan Campbell was quick to point out that the Lions’ defensive tackle has been quietly doing the dirty work all season long.

“Here’s the thing, there are so many things that Mac does that I don’t think goes noticed,” Campbell said. “It can go unnoticed at times but he and (Isaiah) Buggs. But we’re on Mac, they do a ton of dirty work in there, and they have consistently been all year for us have just banged away in there.

“They’ve helped our run defense. It’s hard to run in there with those two guys and he’s one of the biggest reasons. For him to be able to make the TFL’s today and affect the quarterback like he did, that was great to see. We know what Mac’s capable of, but he just did it a different way today.”

Rest of the NFL, you’re on notice.

9 Likes

Let’s hope he’s able to keep it up on Thursday.

5 Likes

I’ve been waiting on McNeil to have a break out game. Show us why you’re a cornerstone. Sunday was that kind of performance that I’ve been hoping to eventually see.

Also with the way this coaching staff praises Buggs… do you think the coaches see DT as big of a need as the fans? I see it being a huge need personally, but not sure the coaches see it the same.

4 Likes

Oh, I think they want the most dominant Dline in the league, and they’re not going to stop building it.
This staff knows that games are won and lost in the trenches.

9 Likes

We have all been waiting for a DT to wake up and lead this defense and Alim just showed us that he can do this. What a performance Sunday!

This defense becomes a whole lot better if Alim owns the middle of the field. If we get Paschal back and Romeo Okwara back this defense may start to get some serious swagger.

3 Likes

You’ve heard, “it’s always darkest before the dawn”?
Good morning, NFL! Remember the last 60 years?
We do!

2 Likes

WE need help at DT. Buggs is a free agent at year end and so is Benito Jones. Can’t count on Levi! I’d like to resign Buggs (and Cominsky while they are at it) and make a run at A’shaun Robinson in the offseason. He is unrestricted FA, be 28 next March and would Pair nicely with McNeil. Don’t think the $$$ would be crazy either.

1 Like

I think with rotating in hutch, paschal, cominsky plus McNeil they need one more beast… sucks that levi is brital and all he did was f up a lions pick so far in his career (well holmes did it but i still think levi could play if healthy, just wont be healthy)

1 Like

Faded Levi’s soon to go to the Salvation Army

4 Likes

Another young player stepping up. Love to see it.

1 Like

I think the lions draft a dude but that levi is likely to get the offseason after having surgery to correct the issue (he did right?)… but if he doesnt come in like a dude fighting for his career he will likely be the first official failed draft pick based on expectations. Good thing barnes is picking it up lately

1 Like

Can we talk about how nuts 10 pressures are from a DT?

12 Likes

We need him to wake up feeling the same way every week, shit he was dominant yesterday. It was very impressive how fast a 350 pound man was getting pressure right up the gut in the QB’s face. It wasn’t just bull rushes, he was showing pass rushing moves inside, that was very encouraging to see.

He only got credit for 1 sack, but he was blowing up the Giants interior O-line almost every single play. If you noticed the Giants kept rotating new guards and centers into the game because they had no answer for him. I don’t remember a performance like that from a Lions DT since Suh was still around.

3 Likes

Hopefully he’s Jerry Ball part 2. Wrecking ball.

5 Likes

There is only 1 guy I can think of that does that kinda shit and he’s 60-70 pounds lighter than Alim.

I used to think on 3rd downs, we need to take Alim off the field and go with the nascar package, shit keep him in there, I was way off.

Honestly Sunday had me seeing flashbacks to Shaun Rogers in his prime. Let’s hope McNeil uses it as motivation to keep pushing

1 Like

I like a stud DL too! See 2014!!!

I have to look this McNeill guy up though, I knew nothing about him until yesterday LMAO! I told you I’m slacking, for good reason.

No, we can’t. But we at least get to take a peek at him for the next 2 years to see what surgery does for him. He won’t cost much, so he’ll be easy to keep next year if can come back at half of what we hoped he would be.

1 Like

I’m not downplaying The Dream’s performance, or maybe I am, when I acknowledge that Evan Neal was inactive and their 3rd string OG was playing due to injuries. Whatever. It’s still great to see that leap for one game.

1 Like

I agree, brother. No amount of OL and DL picks would surprise me from Brad.
We’re going in to pick a fight every Sunday.

1 Like