Am I the Only One Who Didn’t Care that Tucker Made It?

We need game changing talent. The easiest way to acquire that is the top of the draft. We also need a quarterback. Would you rather us win 6 games and pick around 8? Then maybe package that pick, the Rams 1st and perhaps the first from them in 2023 to go up and get a QB? The good teams don’t need to pick high in the draft because guess what, they are already good. Good teams consistently hit on draft picks and are constantly rolling in young talent.

We are very devoid of talent. The higher we pick and the more picks we can acquire/keep the better chance we have at having success in the future. I would have loved the beat the packers or the ravens. At the end of the day though I am well aware of where this team stands. Not worried about attracting free agents in 2022. I’m not worried about the young guys needing to build confidence either because anyone with a brain realizes where this team is at. We will be extremely lucky to compete for something meaningful in 2022. This team is setting up for a run in 2023. In order to do that we need to find a QB to build around this coming offseason. Easiest way to do that is to have your pick in the draft.

That is why I love this staff. They aren’t delusional. They know what needs to happen and are very realistic. Now is the time to get these young guys on the field. Let them learn and figure out who is worth keeping.

I thought it was the D-line coach (Cullen) who was known for his “flashes”??? :rofl:

beef GIF

1 Like

Holy cow there is alot to unwrap here but I’m not going to do it. Let’s start with a simple question. If you are already at 8…why do you need to throw so much other capital into the mix to get a QB?

3 Likes

Well ok but I don’t agree, picking high doesn’t guarantee anything if it did we would be one of them good teams. And the worse thing is losing you got young guys trying to learn . I would rather win as many as I can. And make them like it and want it. Losing is just losing it helps no one. And You don’t know Goff is going anywhere we got 2 first this year and I want Kyle Hamilton with the first one and Treylon Burks with the 2nd one. Burks is the perfect fit for QB like Goff. Right now AJ Parker and Bobby Price are playing better as UDFAs then our #3 overall pic has played. Miles Garrett J Clowny and both Boss’s are all top five pic but TJ Watt is the best pass rusher in the league and was picked after Jared Davis. This Team does need Talent I do agree but loosing to get a top pic isn’t a good way to do. That’s a loser mentality and a myth.

2 Likes

I was not surprised by the Ravens winning. I was surprised that Tucker made the kick, NFL record and not in Denver.

With that said I could care less how that affects the Lions draft next year. Where the Lions draft is not the important part, but who they draft is. We see every year there are no guarantees just because a player was good in college and/or highly regarded in the draft process does not mean they will be good or elite.

Most of the time the players that turn out to be best or elite are drafted by teams that know how to scout the position to fill the role the HC is looking. Also the coaching staff has to know how to develop those players. Draft position is no where close to as important as some fans want to believe. Good players going to the wrong team can be terrible for that player. While mediocre players going to the right team can become superstars.

1 Like

How the hell do you make it easy for the opponent to kick a 66 yard fg? You would think you bring pressure from both ends and you put the tallest players on your squad up the middle. I would have thought something like this Dan could figure out. I dunno man

1 Like

If we have a healthy best and young in 2014 we go to the Super Bowl.

1 Like

If there is a QB this staff likes above the rest they will go get them. Not saying there will be this is just a hypothetical. Look what San Fran did. I fully understand San Fran is a lot further along then we are, but that is what teams do when they need a QB. Look at Josh Allen, Jared Goff, Carson Wentz, even Justin Fields this year. Maybe we pick 8th and they like multiple guys or none at all and this doesn’t even apply. My point is I would rather not be put in that situation and be able to have our pick of whoever we deem is the best fit.

Also the 49ers went from 12 to 3 and gave up 12 plus two more firsts as well as a 3rd. If we went from 8 into the top 2 a similar package would be needed. Once again not trying to get into specifics just saying for 2022 and beyond we are better off losing games and picking as high as possible. That doesn’t mean we should lose on purpose because that sends a terrible message to the team, but it does mean if we fight and claw and lose anyway that I won’t be all that upset about it this year.

1 Like

Josh Allen was picked at 7, which is basically the same pick at 8 that you brought up. And the year before they could have taken Mahomes or Watson at 10 but chose to trade down with the Chiefs.

And I’m saying there’s nothing wrong with the 8 spot. I’m not going to root for a losing season to become a dumpster fire season just to move up a few spots when its not necessary. That’s my point.

1 Like

Once again I am not saying we need to tank and lose on purpose. I am saying I am proud of how this team fought and don’t care that it ended the way it did. The way they played against one of the better teams is what I care about.

Listen I understand you can get stars anywhere in the draft order. At the end of the day it is easier to find guys higher in the draft order. The hit rate is also a lot higher. I understand T.J. Watt was picked in the back half of the first but so was Charles Harris and tons of others. This staff has the buy in from these guys and I don’t think losing will change that.

At the end of the day when the lions play the bears this weekend I will be rooting for the lions. If they win I will be happy. My point is if they lose, especially if they play their ass off and lose, it won’t upset me because I realize it is probably better for the long term outlook anyway

1 Like

One win/loss in the 2019 season was the difference between Jeff Okudah and Chase Young. That right there should be more then enough to make my point.

1 Like

The draft didn’t end after Chase Young. Another fail.

It is clear we will not agree which is fine. Last question for you though.

If you could go back to 2019 and say lose to the Giants instead of win to get Chase Young do you think that would have been more beneficial to this team right now?

I can’t answer for anyone else, but if I could go back 3 days and enforce a false start, securing our win, that would have been better Detroit and the whole of the league, draft position be damned.

Could I reposition/redo 2020 draft, Herbert is a Lion, which required no additional losses.

Just throwing that out there.

1 Like

Beanheads are impervious to logic and facts. I don’t know if it’s due to overexposure to Madden or just the mystical enchantment of miracle legumes, but the hypnotic power of allure of draft picks drowns out everything.

The fact that perennial winners haven’t had a high draft pick (let alone several) in years and years? Doesn’t matter.

The fact that perennial losers have had dozens of high picks and still lose? Inconsequential.

The fact that “the process” didn’t even work in basketball (where the top 3 picks are what makes or breaks a franchise)? Can’t be bothered with that.

NFL history is that winning begets winning and losing begets losing.

1 Like

“Beanheads” I like that one.

I was told that Okudah was every bit the prospect that Chase Yound was.

I take a passing interest in the Ravens because I live in Baltimore (go chew on a wad of aluminium foil, Justin), and two things are true about their drafts:

(1) They’re always picking below 20

(2) The post-draft analysis always grades their first-round pick as at least an A-

I don’t know how many of their first-round picks have been busts, but the quick analysis is always that the Ravens did about as well as they could at their draft position.

I wonder how NewYorkLion would be spinning this if he was still posting here.

1 Like