Annual Den Mock Draft Contest

Okay, I’ll do the honors this year, reluctantly. Changing up the rules and scoring slightly.

Rule 1: No trades allowed. It gets too complicated and its gives those who trade more opportunities than those that don’t.

Rule 2: All entries must be made by 6:00 Thursday Night.

Rule 3: When the draft is over, post your point total in the thread. DO NOT edit your original draft post after 6pm Thursday, make a new post.

Scoring:

1 point: Guess the correct position of any draft pick

ex: If you have 2 RBs in your draft and only 1 is selected, you only score 1 time

6 points: Guess the correct position in the correct round

ex: If you mock a WR in the 6th round and the Lions draft one there, 6 points for you

11 points: Guess the correct player

ex: If you pick player X in the 5th but he is picked by the Lions in the 6th, that’s 11 points.

20 points: guess the correct player in the correct round

ex: The big scorer. 100% accuracy on player and round will help you win this contest

Tiebreaker: How many trades will Bob Quinn make in this draft?

Bonus Question worth 10 points: Accurately predict a trade Bob Quinn will make in this year’s draft i.e the traded picks and teams involved. If you correctly pick the players involved as well as the picks/teams involved, the bonus question value increases to 25 points. (Correctly picking no trade will not net you points!)

The Lions picks are as follows:

First round: No. 3 overall

Second round: 35 overall

Third round: 67 overall

Third round: 85 overall (from Eagles)

Fourth round: 109 overall

Fifth round: 149 overall

Fifth round: 166 overall (from Eagles)

Sixth round: 182 overall

Seventh round: 235 overall (from Eagles through Patriots)

Suggestions welcome, but make them quick.

Good Luck and Have Fun

PS somebody else PLEASE volunteer to score this!! I don’t want to be in charge of math (also you don’t want me in charge of math:) .

2 Likes

First round: No. 3 overall - Isaiah Simmons

Second round: 35 overall - A.J. Epenesa

Third round: 67 overall - Robert Hunt

Third round: 85 overall (from Eagles) Tyler Johnson

Fourth round: 109 overall - Noah Igbinoghene

Fifth round: 149 overall - A J Dillon

Fifth round: 166 overall (from Eagles) -
Rashard Lawrence

Sixth round: 182 overall - Danny Pinter

Seventh round: 235 overall (from Eagles through Patriots) - Braden Mann

1 Like
  1. CB Ohio State Okudah
  2. RB Wisconsin Taylor
    3a. DL ALABAMA Davis
    3b. G Michigan Bredeson
    4 WR Minnesota Johnson
    5a. LB Penn State Cam Brown
    5b. OT Washington Trey Adams
    6 Edge Auburn Nick Coe
    7 Edge Montana State Bryce Sterk
1 Like

My strategy for the contest this year was to look at multiple mock drafts and do the following for all of the picks except for #3

1. If the pick is #35, for example, look at the mock draft and scroll down into the 50’s/60’s to see what players are there. Always look at players that are at least 10-50 slots lower in the mock drafts compared the # the Lions are picking at. :sweat_smile:
  2. In the earlier rounds, find a player at a position that the Lions don’t really need right now in that area. In the later rounds, draft lesser players at positions of greater need.
  3. Draft him

We’ll see how this goes! I can honestly say these picks are so bad that I hope my strategy fails miserably in this contest. Good luck, everyone. May the Lions do significantly better than my shitty predictions below.

Round Pick Overall Player Position School
1 3 3 Derrick Brown DT Auburn
2 3 35 Denzel Mims WR Baylor
3 3 67 Jonathan Greenard DE Florida
3 21 85 Hunter Bryant TE Washington
4 3 109 Brandon Jones S Texas
5 3 149 AJ Dillon RB Boston College
5 20 166 Anthony Gordon QB Washington State
6 3 182 Daniel Bituli LB Tennessee
7 21 235 Michael Divinity Jr LB LSU
2 Likes

I think we do trade with the Dolphins and I think that yields a rd. 2 pick which we use on Curtis Weaver and a 5th rd. pick that we use on a WR (I like the kid from Colorado). So, here is my draft with no trades (consistent with the rules!):

1st rd., #3 OA (although I think we end up trading with the Dolphins):
DT Derrick Brown. I have gone back and forth and back and forth on this one. In the end Brown is too good to pass up and I like the CB depth in this draft.

2nd rd. pick, #35 OA…#39 OA…OLBer Curtis Weaver. I am believing the LOVE this guy but no one is talking about it. I would go Robert Hunt but I think he is gone by this pick.

3rd rd. pick, #67 OA…CB Cameron Dantzler. I am a believer in this kid and I think he will be there at this point.

3rd. rd. pick, #85 OA…RB Zach Moss. BIG at 223 pounds and productive. I am buying the Lions love this kid.

4th rd. pick, #109 OA…Guard Damien Lewis. I think the Lions end up trading back into the late 3rd round to get their guard.

5th rd. pick, #149…WR Laviska Shenault. Injury concerns push him to rd. 5 where we take a shot on him.

5th rd. pick, #166…Punter Braden Mann. Lions coached him at the Senior Bowl.

6th rd. pick, #182 OA…TE Devin Asiasa, a transfer from MI. A BIG kid who has upside.

7th rd. pick, #235 OA…the Lions take a chance on center Trystan Colon-Castillo. I believe he tore his pectoral muscle.

2 Likes
  1. Isiah simmons olb/s
  2. Justin madubuike dt
    3a bryce hall cb
    3b adam trautman te
  3. Van jefferson wr
    5a.Aj dillon rb
    5b lamar jackson cb
  4. Broderick washingon dt
    7.alex taylor ot

For the purposes of this contest:

1. Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

2. Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

3. Lloyd Cushenberry, C/G, LSU

4. KJ Hill, Ohio State, WR

5. Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech

6. Troy Dye, LB, Oregon

7. Qaadir Shepherd, DE, Mississippi

8. Jake Luton, QB, Oregon State

9. Giovanni Ricci, TE, Western Michigan

The trade that would bring the above mock draft in alignment with my delusional vision:

The Lions trade #3 to the Dolphins for #5 and 39 and then pick Jeff Okuhda, CB, Ohio State at #5 and Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin at #39.

Analytics tell me that anyone who nails the trade portion will win this contest. Thank you in advance, I couldn’t have done it without all the little people… LOL

Auto corrected some weird with my reply. The numbers sequentially should be three, 35, 67, 85, 109, 149, 166, 188, 235. Obviously.

Hey guys…I made the bonus question up to satisfy your urge to predict trades. Make sure you give it a shot!

Too many needs with insufficient options beyond Round 2 (Excluding trades). IMO, DT need is greater than a Top 3 RB in Round 2 by a narrow margin.

1. CB - #3 - Okudah (No Trade Scenario)
  2. DT - #35 - Gallimore
    3a. OLB - #65 - Uche
    3b. RB - #85 - Moss
    4a. G - #109 - Lewis
    5a. WR -#149 - Duvernay
    5b. WR - #167 - Tyler Johnson
    6a. P - #183 - Mann
    7a. G - #236 - Onwenu

BONUS QUESTION
2 trades by Quinn:
1 Det trades - First Round #3 for #6, drafting Okudah from Chargers, & #37, drafting RB Taylor.
2 Det trades - Fourth Round #109 & Fifth Round #149 for NE Third Round # 98, and drafts DT Davis

GOALPOST

Well Farmer Ted was kind enough to calculate this task for all of us .

Perhaps this thread for his sake can have one post by each person with the picks they want and that’s it… no comments .
Have a mod delete anything thus far that does not contain the picks for the contest and keep the thread clean :wink: :+1:

2 Likes

Rd. 1 = (DT) D Brown
Rd. 2 =(OLB) P Queen
Rd. 3 = (S) K Duggar
Rd. 3 =(RB) C Akers
Rd. 4 = (OT) B Bartch
Rd. 5 =(WR) Q Cephus
Rd. 5 = (OT) C Heck
Rd. 6 =(QB) A Gordon
Rd. 7 =( P ) B Mann

11 points here. Nailed the Cephus pick, that’s it.

Delete

Thinking Quinn trades the 5th rounders to move up and take a DT. That’s all I got.

If he takes Okudah at #3 like I expect, I will probably shut the damn TV off anyway. Lol

You know what? Since nobody is volunteering to be the math guy and add this up, we’re going to use the honor system. When the draft is over (don’t edit your post) post your point total in the thread.

The way I figure is we’re Lions fans. If we wanted to win bad enough to cheat, we’d be a Patriots board.

2 Likes

#3…Derrick Brown DT
#35…AJ Terrell Jr CB
#67…Micheal Pittman Jr WR
#85…Robert Hunt OG
#109…Zach Moss RB
#149…Larrell Muchison DL
#166…Kenny Willikes…DE
#182…Shane Lemieux…OG
#235…Lavert Hill…CB

R1P3

LB ISAIAH SIMMONS

CLEMSON

35: R2P3

RB JONATHAN TAYLOR

WISCONSIN

67: R3P3

DL JUSTIN MADUBUIKE

TEXAS A&M

85: R3P21

DL RAEKWON DAVIS

ALABAMA

109: R4P3

G JONAH JACKSON

OHIO STATE

149: R5P3

CB LAMAR JACKSON

NEBRASKA

166: R5P20

WR QUARTNEY DAVIS

TEXAS A&M

182: R6P3

EDGE DERREK TUSZKA

NORTH DAKOTA STATE

235: R7P21

S MYLES DORN

NORTH CAROLINA

1-3: Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson
2-35: K.J Hamler WR Penn State
3-67: Antoine Winfield S Minnesota
3-85: Reggie Robinson CB Tulsa
4-109: Keith Ismael G/C San Diego State
5-149: Chauncey Rivers DE Mississippi State
5-166: Tyre Phillips OT Mississippi State
6-182: Braden Mann P Texas A&M
7-235: Devin Duvernay WR Texas

Bonus question: Trade with Chargers. Lions give up 1-3 to the Chargers for 1-6, 2-37 and 2021 1st. Chargers take Tua 1-3, Lions take Simmons 1-6 and Hamler 2-37 (Jonathan Taylor with the 2-35 pick).