Another argument for Bijan

I also don’t think he’s generational, that term gets overused IMO… Peterson was generational, I thought Zeke was too, but I think he lacks the mentality to ever achieve his potential. Bijan would be like Dalvin Cook on our team, with better hands.

2 Likes

It is the way he potentially completes this offense that moves him up in this draft (IMO). 6 is rich but…IF we resign Chark, with Amon Ra, Jamo, Reynolds and a back with his receiving skills, TELL me which team has the depth to cover them. I can see Ben getting him isolated on a LB every play. Once he gets into the open field with his ability to make guys miss. it could be fun to watch.

the 2nd best DT or DE maybe 3rd or Bijan. Not sure the CB we get at 6 is that superior to the one we get at 18. It will take a couple years to see the true value of all these CBs. None look like sauce.

3 Likes

So do you think all the GMs in the NFL who don’t value RB are bad at their jobs? Because that’s like 1/2 of them. Our own GM possibly included.

1 Like

I think you can get 90% of that, and maybe even better hands, with Tyjae Spears in the 3rd or 4th. And more juice than either of them.

1 Like

To me Cook isn’t dynamic enough of a runner to be compared to Bijan. Cook does a good job maximizing what’s there. Bijan can create when its not there, like Saquan Barkley.

Making a bad decision isn’t the same as being bad at your job. But yes, if a guy takes Aaron Maybin over Bijan Robinson to fill out some positional value proposition he’s making a bad decision.

2 Likes

I understand this is a highlight video But you can clearly see some truly special traits in this video. I am not one to throw the term generational around. I personally believe in 10 years Robinson will be considered one of, if not the best, running back during that time.

2 Likes

All 32 GMs make bad decisions, it doesn’t make them a bad GM. You could easily flip it around and say taking Lenny Fournette over Pat Mahomes was a bad decision.

3 Likes

I think they see the short shelf life (rookie contract) at the RB position and it devalues the position. There are great RBs coming out every year and you can get them later in rd 1 or even later rounds. OT, DT WR all have better payoffs and QB if you get the right one. You have them for 10-12 years. So it is somewhat of a luxury pick.

Funny part is they should realize their shelf life is short too.

2 Likes

I’m willing to bet a lot of money that someone from this draft has a better career than him even while believing he’s the best one in this class.

This happens every year

1 Like

You aren’t letting what he said sink in.

1 Like

Here’s what that video doesn’t show: the amount of time he straight-up misses holes that are there and turns what should be ten yard gains into 2 yard gains. They have a stat for it with the catchy name “negative rushing yards over expected.” Bijan was one of the nation’s leaders. And more often than not it was on him, not his blockers. He makes some bizarre decisions.

I also don’t think he has the most natural vision. He misses cutback lanes constantly. I have a buddy who’s a Texas fans and he says it sometimes seems like Robinson “plays through a straw”, meaning he doesn’t process what’s happening outside of that which is immediately in front of him.

I also think he doesn’t follow his blockers very well, though that probably ties in to the previous two points. But there’s lots of times where you ask yourself ‘why didn’t you stick with the guard here rather than cut right into the defender’?

Now don’t get me wrong, I still really, really like him. He has short-area explosive stuff that can’t be taught, but to me he is not on the same level of prospect as a Saquon or a Peterson.

2 Likes

This thread and all the thoughtful responses tempered my enthusiasm for Bijan a little. I Found a pretty good writeup from a Rams writer that mirrors both what the pro and not pro Bijon posters are saying

I’d still really like to get a RB with better hands in this offense whether he him or someone else. Going back to Swifts first game I think against Chicago week one. Kid had a perfectly thrown game winning TD pass that he just flat out dropped.

Bijan Robinson draft profile: The next Josh Jacobs? - Turf Show Times >

3 Likes

In trying to be objective about just how good Bijan is, and how much difference a player of that caliber can make, I’ve watched saquan highlights with a bit of a twist. As i watch, I mentally replace saquan with Jamaal Williams, and then identify the place where saquan performs a move, or uses burst, that Jamaal cannot duplicate. I then continue to watch the rest of the play, noting the yards after Jamaal gets stopped, or YAJGS yardage.

The difference between Jamaal and saquan, at least in terms of highlight package type of runs, is immense. We’re leaving so much on the table. Our run game is fine, but it can be a devastating weapon. But how does Bijan compare?

Saquan and Peterson both possess a certain level of burst, an acceleration around a corner that, in combination with other traits, allows them to get yards that most backs can’t. A lot of the differences in the Jamaal vs Saquan comparison boil down to ability to make a corner that unlocks extra yards. When I look at Bijan? He’s a little different. That burst doesn’t have quite the same pop, but is replaced by a fluidity and innate understanding of how to navigate in traffic. He just looks like a man born to run a football, more than he looks like a next level athlete. His movement is special.

With Bijan, I feel that some of his special falls outside of measurables, so maybe, just maybe, he stays on the board thru #18.

4 Likes

Heh, that’s clearly where my buddy stole the “plays through a straw” line. Or hell I don’t know, maybe that’s a common beef with him.

2 Likes

first time I’ve ever heard the term. haha

1 Like

Elliott had a good few years but was a back up this year to a guy drafted in the 4th round.

Gurly was only in the league for 6 years.

Chubb is the best of the 3 IMO and was taken in the 2nd round.

I wouldn’t take Bijan at #18. If we somehow work a deal to trade down in the 20’s or pick up an extra high 2nd somehow, then he would be in play.

4 Likes

Spears isn’t an every down back and is a bad blocker, even by college standards… He’s fast though, he’ll carve out a role in the NFL, but not as a starter. I think he goes in round 5

1 Like

I think he could be an every down but I understand the argument otherwise. To be honest I don’t think any RB is an every down back, because if you play them every down, they’ll get hurt. Even when you don’t, they’ll get hurt.

3 Likes

JAHMYR GIBBS!!!

4 Likes

I don’t think many see it as you do. I think they follow a basic outline like that but I do not think it’s automatic. I think they all have exceptions to the rule except the ones that fail., That is the same mind set as Patricia with his system.

You will pass on a top 5 talent and take a player that is not near as good do that to many times and you won’t have a job . I think your reading GMs wrong. It might not be ideally to draft a RB that high but if he is far and away the best player . And I don’t think many follow your opinion that it has to be a 10 year player. Super bowl window is about 4 years in today’s nfl. and you didn’t listen to Brad he said he doesn’t follow all that he gonna draft the best player for his team.

I find it odd you would take a 2nd Rd talent over a top 5 talent because of your value hang up. Even by your own evaluation Robinson what #4 I believe you said. On top of all that we have a extra pic, and he fits everything we want. We have a FA this year and Next. Our Oline was built for a guy like this it’s just a really good match here better then most place. So under sertin circumstances like ours I think most GMs would definitely consider it , il bet you anything Robinson out preforms anyone in this draft not named Anderson or Carter .

1 Like