Anyone else on the don't draft a QB bandwagon?

Different scenario …Bevell was handpicked by a new HC in Pete Carroll who gave weight to his OC to have a say into who to draft and the weight given was some say in the investment of a 3rd round pick …the QB’s we are talking about are likely top 10 first round picks …I cant see Bevell having any say here, not in this scenario .

so you argue with any poster that doesn’t hold your opinion…is that it NY?

Not at all , we are all having a discussion…what I say about Tua is not an opinion it’s fact.

I see. you said ‘not about what Quinn would do’ I don’t understand that being he is the one actually selecting draft picks. therefore It is what is HE going to do, and his draft picks have no bearing on our many discussions , compliments to certain prospects, or our mock draft selections. yet again, Bob Quinn will be the one actually drafting for the team…so I’m muddy on that comment. I started this thread bc I wasn’t in love with the QB selections and wondered IF we SHOULD draft one being we have also discussed : RB, CB , DE, LB , WR , DT , OT or OG (o-line) by my count that is already 6 to 7 picks , barring a QB.

What does the thread insinuate or what was the purpose of the thread? Cub you started the thread ?

"Anyone else on the don’t draft a QB bandwagon? "

OR

"Does anyone think QUINN will take a QB and we should not discuss it because we have no say anyway "

You kill me sometimes Cub.

1 Like

funny, we were talking just drafting QB’s…yet I asked you why you said “it is not about what Quinn would do.” separate question. and we discuss the things WE do as football fans of the Detroit lions and we discuss QB mostly due to Stafford’s health, age, and situation now in 2020.
but has no bearing what our GM will draft bc he will draft or sign whom he chooses, regardless of what we talk about here.

The QBs you are talking about!

I’ve already said it multiple time in multiple threads…

Bevell is the main cog in any QB we may pick in any round…

Saying he has no say in the process is short sighted

Not that Bevell has no say in selecting a QB …I do not see Bevell having a say with what we select in the first round , if we select a QB in the first (Not that I think we will ) but if we did this to me has no bearing on what Bevell wants . This would be a Quinn and Patricia selection if Bevell was not on board or not I see having no impact. Like Carroll in Seattle I could see Bevell having input in a project or later round selection he might love …but Wilson was a project who turned out to be Gold and Matt Flynn was supposed to be the man.

I responded with

You never asked me a question prior to just now , my response was about getting Cubs opinion on the prospects that were being discussed or a different QB , and not some pundits take . Your evaluation positives and negatives …when I asked that you responded with it does not really matter because Quinn will do what Quinn will do ? Hence my response of what the thread was about and why I could not care less about Quinn in the scenario of what the thread and my question to you were about .

The Lions are not selecting a QB in round one. If they wanted to look that direction I would expect Quinn to want Bevell’s opinion on the QB’s coming out. Quinn still makes that decision, but it would be a normal process to get his take being the OC.

The argument that the Lions are in a position to get a top QB talent is the best one for going that direction. When you look at it Stafford is just too young and too good to go that route. If he was 35, I could see the argument of getting a top QB talent. If the Lions are able to get a good trade down package, this is not a bad idea:

FA DL Jones, ER

TD - #5 + 2nd + 3rd + 2nd/2021
TD #35 - #45 + 3rd
TU #67 - 55 - 3rd

1. CB Okudah
  2. ER Weaver/Chaisson
  3. OT Becton/Jones
  4. RB Taylor/Dobbins/Swift
  5. QB Hurts/Fromm

We both see the same in Stafford , Stafford should be Stafford , it’s that he is signed for 2020, 2021 & 2022 I agree on getting help for Stafford to win an win soon …it’s how much weight Quinn has on the future Lions team . If Stafford is Stafford the choice to pay him again is the point as well as having competence at BU spot should the choice to invest again in a 35 year old will come up after this deal . The chance to draft in the spot we are now is the real question and not knowing the family life or intentions for maybe leaving the game healthy and with talent still remaining . Andrew Luck has cast doubt for me on QB’s just continuing to play if they can .

1 Like

Every guy is different. I see Stafford as a guy who loves playing QB and wants to play much longer as he said. I could see him deciding to retire at 38 if he won a SB and there was some question as to whether he was risking mobility later in life by continuing to play, but think he is likely to play well past regardless. He has good pocket awareness, good mobility, great mental acuity and the competitiveness to want a long career. I simply always believe you are always looking for the next franchise guy and want a quality backup at all positions.

1 Like

I can also see him coaching if he wants to

I don’t see him coaching as his family is too important. He is also a QB that has made a tremendous amount of money. It is rare to see those guys end up in coaching as they have so many options in life. I could see him willing to stay involved with the organization, but with a flexible schedule.

1 Like

we all began talking draft a while ago irregardless of what position. each year I gather things to help decide WHO and what I like and I want drafted , I don’t have the things I need to even do an honest mock “right now” SO I go to a bunch of different sites NY, I read rankings , stats , numbers, I catch what games I am able, I compare what one site says about ‘A’ prospect verses thee other, read and re-read over and over, I write down info on certain prospects both good and bad and then I come in here frequently and read what OUR posters are saying or have said about a: QB, RB, WR, LB, DT, S, CB or whatever and "pretty much our takes HERE match with professional NFL paid writers , scouts, and evaluators. NY. this is me making my mind up still quite early in the offseason and pre-draft. I don’t just look at one media chumps evaluation and run with it. later on, I’ll have my things gathered AND RE-READ and maybe re-think my position before making any mocks OR weighing absolute on A QB. all I have said is I wouldn’t draft one based on several comments made by employees, scouts, coaches, and professional folks that get paid to write their breakdowns on QB’s. but again it’s early and I am not fully prepared to make definite/final say on prospects “right now” only that I believe the QB class is shaky at this time. all I will say right now on it.

Unless the Lions believe Stafford’s back is worse than is known, they should sign a good FA backup QB and go with one of the young QBs that they’ve already got as their development QB. Forget drafting a QB this year, until maybe on day 3.

So much depends on who they sign in FA, but this defense sucks and they have to upgrade several positions there or this team won’t make the playoffs.

1 Like

I don’t want a QB. I’m fine with investing a little in a vet backup that is more on the capable side. Where if we need him to win a couple games during the season to keep us in the playoff hunt, he can. You don’t get that really with a rookie, regardless of how good he is. Stafford was playing at a very high level and I don’t think that is going to really decline for a few years at least. So I’d much rather add another weapon at another position. When Stafford is “done” we will be finding that out with a season that will likely put us in striking range of one of the better QB’s of that particular class. Like probably in 5 or 6 years as Stafford loves the game.

I agree with 3rd… Sign a better quality backup. Still look day 3 for a QB with potential, system fit, too good a value to let go by… Need to win now. 1-3 round picks to get as many difference makers as we can. Even with a trade down I still go the vet FA QB route.
So yes I’m in the “don’t draft a QB” this year bandwagon. Unless a stupid value situation happens. Really stupid.