Anzalone is back $18.75M/3yr

It has been tweeted by a few of them.

Have to wait for contract details to come out, but not a fan of this. Thought this would have been one of the positions we could have easily improved in FA without having to spend a ton. Wagner or David at 10M would have been a huge upgrade. But if they don’t value off the ball LBs, then it doesn’t matter who they put back there.

1 Like

This is not a BNL move, unless they add another FA LB…this has classic SOL “smartest guys in the room” stink all over it.

Go whine somewhere else!

Why? I pay good money to whine here…

3 Likes
9 Likes

Knew it.

:rofl:

2 Likes

I would be really surprised if the real numbers don’t look a lot better. Early reporting of several contract last year were shocking until we saw that a lot was incentive based. Kalif and Reynolds contracts come to mind for sure.I’d bet it is closer to 3 years 12-14mil.

3 Likes

Justin Rogers tweeted this maybe you can understand why this is not a bad deal for AA

Started 17 games, set a career-high in tackles (125), tackles for loss (7.0), quarterback pressures (21 on just 90 rushes), while holding QBs to a passer rating under 80. He was also credited, by his position coach, for accelerating development of Malcolm Rodriguez.

2 Likes

Lions beat writer Jeremy Reisman:

“I don’t know if there’s a Lions player that has a wider gap between Lions fans perception and Detroit coaches perceptions than Alex Anzalone.

They absolutely love the guy.”

Enough for me. I’ll take the coaching staffs evaluation over the people that post here.

9 Likes

That’s not the point…who wouldn’t?

Even that quote sounds like we overpaid because we like him better than everyone else.

It’s whatever and everyone else will agree. The contract sucks but we trust those running the show.

2 Likes

In 2022, Anzalone signed a 1 year contract where he could earn up to $4M. He earned $3.25M which included $715K signing bonus, base salary of $1,035,000, per game roster bonuses of $500K and $1M in Non-Likely To be Earned Incentives (NLTBE) based on playing time. He didn’t earn $750K incentives that were tied to playing time and a top 16 defense.

I would imagine the structure to be similar with per game roster bonuses and incentives tied to playing time and other incentives tied to playing time with an average defense.

3 Likes

Not a huge fan but probably easier to get worse at MLB than better… Right Brad? :wink:

This along with Buggs bode well for Cominsky and Williams. They are leaders and culture guys and that is worth a million each a year.

Love that conceptually.

2 Likes

I’m not against it. He knows the system and got better in year 2.

3 Likes

So when a contract is announced with incentives the contract is listed as max value?

I should already know this but I legit don’t.

Just think of all the things he can buy in the dollar store now…

1 Like

You also have to keep in mind that Wagner or David would have to want to come here which while the Lions reputation has improved, I still think it needs some improvement to lure in the big names.

4 Likes

Future article:

After waived prior to the third year Anzalone becomes an assistant LB coach for DC and the Lions. This comin as Shaun Dion Hamilton becomes the new LB coach as Shepherd, former LB coach is the Lions new DC replacing Aaron Glenn who finally gets his head coaching gig. The Lions have earned a third round compensatory pick and continue their trend of ex-players joining the coaching staff.

3 Likes

Depends on who reports it, but most reporters will report “UP TO” or “Max Value” in their tweet or article. Rapport usually will do this. In his tweet about Anzalone, he didn’t include those words. I haven’t seen any other reputable writer on the Anzalone deal.

1 Like