Anzalone is back $18.75M/3yr

I hear ya’ JD but it is also clear the front office and staff don’t share that opinion.

I think it is clear this staff think CB is a MAJOR weakness and they wet out and did something about that by paying Sutton likely a bit much but Holmes wasn’t going to go into the draft with what we had last season.

I want an upgrade at LBer but it is clear this staff trust Alex and they don’t see him as THE problem. If they did there were options out there. Alex didn’t HAVE to come back but here we are.

I trust Holmes and his team and I will sit back in wait-and-se mode.

1 Like

I’m just personally a little bummed that is again our MLB. There were 10-12 available that I would consider upgrades and we jumped the gun IMO. I get it, someone has to want to come here, but I think we settled way to fast.

Anyway you are right, they clearly feel comfortable with him as the guy.

3 Likes

One parting thought regarding Anzalone.

It is hard to say that we play a sub-package when it is primary. If we were lining up in a traditional 4-3 or 3-4, this signing would be much harder for me to accept. But we play so much nickle/dime/ and it makes me think we will be using coverage LB in our primary defense. If that is true, then this signing makes more sense to me.

Now we can argue if Anzalone is the right fit for what we are trying to do. That is totally fair. But Brad, Dan, and Chris obviously signed off on the deal so I am going to trust that they have a plan. So I might feel that Anzalone is an over-pay if we are judging by traditional LB duties. (BTW, I think it is fair for me to say this is probably where I am at right now.) But if we utilize him in a non-traditional role that he can accel at, it may be a better signing than I am imagining right now.

3 Likes

I feel a contributing factor is that they are “trenches first” mentality. We get the Defensive Line right, the other stuff is muuuuch easier. DL creates turnover opportunities for the entire back 7. This is what we are creating.

Common @DeadStroke… Alex is clearly Coach Dan’s pet. They are on a first name basis even. So unprofessional. Yes, Coach Dan finished 8-2, but I think we should start a fire Dan Campbell campaign for his extreme favoritism being shown to Alex, his discrimination against 4th round picks is simply unacceptable. Oh wait St. Brown’s a 4th round pick. His discrimination against 4th round linebackers is unjust and unfair.

#JusticeforBarnes

2 Likes

It’s pretty funny that many of your believe that 6th round fodder can run for 1,000 yards behind our OL… yet the RB of the defense “LB” was stuck playing behind the corpse of Brocker’s and the “what could have been” of Levi O…

TJ Edwards was even an even more egregious example that Swaggy…

Go play LB behind Jordan Davis, Hargrave, Fletcher Cox, N Suh, Reddick, B Graham, J Sweat… and in front of Bradberry, Slay, CGJ, etc… By the way you will have the lead 90% of the season- and thus the other team will be pretty pass heavy and predictable?

I’m sorry but the kid was an undrafted FA with 4.87 speed at 240… really? a 2.4 ras?

1 Like

Have we seen the actual contract terms for AA yet?

^ YUP

1 Like

Signing AA tells me they are drafting a LB day 1 or 2. They weren’t looking to “upgrade” the position in free agency. They are looking for AA to be the teacher of the young guys coming in. He knows the system and the players already look up to him as their leader. He had his best year in 2022 and hopefully there won’t be a drop off (and maybe even better) 2023.

4 Likes

Fingers crossed for that one.

2 Likes

Lions management (the people that get paid a lot of money to make football decisions): we like what AA brings to this team.

SOME Lions fans: he sucks.

No offense but I’ll lean to trusting the people in the first category. And BTW, most football sites seem to be leaning towards this being a good signing.

6 Likes

If this were true it would have been true last year as well. We might draft a LB day 1 or 2 (I have my doubts personally), but I don’t think this signing will have anything to do with it. It’s all about how the board falls and if a LB is the best pick for us at the time.

1 Like

If they go LB in first three rounds it would also speak their thoughts of the LB’s already on the team.

2 Likes

I mean Jamaal Williams was a 4th round pick. I don’t know about 6th round RB. But, I think we could find a real good back in round 2 or 3. The draft is stacked with good RB’s.

2 Likes

Tom Cruise GIF by Top Gun
Take a ride in to the AnalZone…Fly in to the Analzone…

I honestly mean no offense to this, but teams ■■■■ up all the time. Just because a team makes a move doesn’t mean it’s a good one.

That said, to parrot @JD9 … It’s not franchise altering money, so in the end it’s not a big deal.

3 Likes

It has always been weird to me to fully support what your team does 100% of the time. Like do people legit not have their own opinion? It’s ok to disagree with your teams direction and still love them and hope it works out.

I find the “we can’t do no wrong” take as very juvenile for me personally. I love the Lions as much if not more than anyone else.

Maybe there’s a correlation to supporting everything they do to not wanting to be wrong or admitting wrong. I’ll take being proven wrong vs blindly following all day long. I could care less about being right or being labeled a “loyal fan.” Only thing I care about is winning. And what “loyal fans” think of me is irrelevant.

Lions are the shit btw. And I am about as close as I’ve ever been to blindly following the Lions every move.

5 Likes

There’s also reports out there we were priced out of a couple MLBs such as Bears Edwards… so we called up old reliable at 2am after a night of drinking!

Great hair but man what a butterface

100% - no brainer, IMO. Great guy to build our youngsters with/through.

I absolutely xo - & my opinion is that Brad knows much better than you, me, & everyone here combined. I have been wrong a lot more than Holmes has.
So, am I in support of Levi? Nope
Are there 3 Ra/Joseph/Houston-type moves for every Levi move…YUP!

Who am I to determine which is which? In hindsight, sure. Before hand…baaaahhh…We’re all just fans & full of shit much of the time.

Yes, we could have out drafted Millen or Patricia.
Thing is…This ain’t Millen or Patricia!

:facepunch: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :fire: