Anzalone, Yeah of Neah?

That’s where I’d trust Shepard and Campbell to know more than I do. They can tell brad if they think he’s a good fit or not.

1 Like

:point_up: :point_up: :point_up:

3 Likes

Yes, it’s all about the price with Analzone. He’s no different than Deshon Elliott, DJ Chark or Evan Brown.

3 Likes

The comment I made was in the context of a specific scenario proposed that involved the Lions signing just as many “qualifying” UFAs as they would lose in UFA.

In this case…. signing Pratt, Heineke, and Hill would all possibly have salaries that would meet the “qualifying” level…
while losing Evan Brown, Anzalone, and Will Harris would not likely be signed to larger contracts than the players gained.

My thought is that these contracts would cancel each other out….
and players like AO, Sudfeld, Bryant, etc. would not sign deals worth enough to be “qualifying” contracts for the comp pick formula… so they would not factor in to that formula.

I’m guessing that meant to be $4 mill guaranteed?
…. rather than $14 million?

2 Likes

Anzalone is a tricky one, he played better in 2022 than 2021. He’s a vet with experience that helps the defense get lined up properly. On the other hand, he’s a pretty average linebacker, misses a lot of tackles, who is decent in coverage. There is a reason he could only get a 1 year deal in back to back seasons in free agency. I’d love an upgrade at the position, but we have a lot of holes on defense, so bringing Anzalone back on a short term deal might make sense, he at least offers leadership and good depth. Plus, wonderful hair. Corner is a much more pressing need.

1 Like

Yup…… and 3 shoulder dislocations requiring multiple surgeries will always be a factor in the guaranteed money and length of his deal.

1 Like

Good point, he’s managed to stay mostly healthy as a Lion despite playing almost all the snaps. Missed only 3 games in 2 years. But, he’s also turning 29 this year with multiple shoulder injuries in the past as you said. I wouldn’t go past 2 years, would prefer another 1 year, but obviously his agent will push for more. At some point, I think the Lions gotta give the kids a chance to play. Barnes entering year 3, Rodrigo year 2.

3 Likes

NEAH

1 Like

I’d bring him back. He started to play better as the season progressed and the coaching staff trusts him

Holmes doesn’t seem to value linebackers very high in the draft, looking at the middle round guys I like DeMarvion Overshown the LB from TX. He has the speed, he’s a fifth year senior so he is well seasoned, and as a former DB he is solid in coverage

I think in the third or fourth this kid has the potential to be the steal of the draft

@1CasanovaJack Again, stats dont matter.

All them tackles 8 yards down the field don’t help.

@stephenboyd57 - exactly. If nothing else it is time to see what Barnes has got and add another LB from the draft. Resign Board for 2mil per year again would be helpful to ST and WLB.

@Phunnypharm - understood.

So we let Evan Brown walk for a contract similiar to Connor Williams got last year, Anzalone 5 mil per year, Harris 5 mil per year.

We lose 4-6 “other guys” A.O., Bryant, Sudfeld, J Jackson, Woods, etc

Then we can essentially sign the same amount of low-key guys that we lost from the “other guys” group".

NB Troy Hill
DT Jordan Phillips or other NT type
TE Adam Shaheen
etc

Then in this scenario we would receive comp picks:
Brown 5th round
Anzalone 6th round
Harris 6th round
and if AG becomes the Head Coach of Indy we’d get a 3rd and another 3rd in 2024.

Correct?

Please put me on ignore, your opinions are blather.

no chance you are getting blocked, I enjoy reading your stuff and how else would I learn new words like blather?

2 Likes

First 6 minutes is on Anzalone…

1 Like

Sure, and how else would I learn that opinions trump facts?

That premise is correct… but I think those figures are pretty optimistic for the Lions UFAs.

Connor Williams was rated in the top 100 players by PFF and and was their #37 ranked UFA in 2022. Williams had over 50 starts on a good O line in his first 4 seasons before UFA.

I’m not sold on Evan Brown getting a deal that nets a 5th round pick…

and I see no way that Anzalone and and Harris are making $5 million AAV.

There are dozens of CBs that are more valuable than Will Harris… and even Troy Hill at his age will probably get more on a 1-yr deal that would cancel the “loss” of Will Harris. There is a reason most people on this forum want to draft 3 DBs this year and have little interest in bringing Harris back…. so another team isn’t paying him $5 million AAV.

Anzalone isn’t in the top 5 UFAs for off ball LBs. Anthony Wlaker got $4.25 million last year… at 27yo… and had over 400 tackles in the previous 4 years. Van Noy got $2.25 mill in 2022.

There are tons of UFAs available…

2 Likes

Good stuff man.

How the hell did JRM get 2year 8million then?

We need a team like Chicago with 100mil cap space to sign a bunch of our veterans that they are familiar with…

I think you are realistic on your projections for FA, but sometimes FA contracts go beyond what you would expect. Quite often actually.

EDIT- I am one of the draft 3 DB dudes. Maybe the ring leader?

1 Like

I’ve never put anyone on ignore, so I’m not an expert on that. But I think you need to be proactive in putting someone on ignore, if you don’t want to read them anymore.

2 Likes

That is a darn good question!!!
I about crapped my pants when he got that bag.

I really have to wonder if that was a consequence of the raging dumpster fire the Texans had last year.
If Easterby was still there… they probably wouldn’t have got Demeco Ryans to sign on for that job.

1 Like