Anzalone, Yeah of Neah?

The Pride of Detroit podcast yesterday opined that the Lions will let Analzone explore free agency and sign him later for a modest salary when the price is right.

3 Likes

It seems like there aren’t tons of players likely to retire this year and UFA is deep at several positions… and the draft is unusually deep due to the Covid redshirt years… so some of the lower end UFAs could get squeezed.

2 Likes

chris pratt marvel GIF

If they aren’t making personal posts about me I simply don’t respond to anything they say whether I agree or disagree. There was absolutely no reason for him to include me in a discussion on this thread, lol, ESP when it’s to point out to me that his opinions are more important than any facts that I may use. I just went thru 2 different threads where he argued with me about the value of a guy who has 4 rushing yards and 1 catch for 5 yards on 5 targets and 2 tackles on special teams…and then he turns around and wants to dismiss the numbers of the leading tackler on the team, a guy who IS actually bringing value to his position. Can’t make this shit up. As long as he isn’t quoting me personally to tell me how right he is and how wrong I am, with no facts BTW, just a simple, VERY simple opinion, then I won’t ever reply to anything he says.

1 Like

The smartest thing they could do, let the market determine his value. Whether we sign him or not it shouldn’t prevent us from looking at other options in the draft though.

1 Like

These numbers seem criminal. Outright disrespectful. Anzalone has taken a paycut to be here two years in a row. I suppose he may do it again but to propose such low numbers and he showed up to close the season is crazy. Lions fans are putting ZERO respeck on Alex’s name.

might as well ask if he’s finished or if he’s done. lol

The last 2 years have been the highest earning years of Anzalone’s career…. not a pay cut.

3 Likes

Yeah ‘pay cut’ is the wrong word. I mean making less than market value. Maybe I’m the one over rating him but he’s been pretty darned decent. I didnt expect him to return for so cheap.

1 Like

No, but you passively aggressively post (whine) about it indirectly.

LOL can’t make that up. Actually I can, that’s what a female would do.

Bottom line - you are advocating paying a guy that the staff signed on 1 year deal discounts because of his stats. Tackles 8 yards down the field. Anzalone is a bottom tier starting MLB. Cabinda they love and gave a two year deal. You don’t like those facts, so you whine about emotions and stuff.

Look, if they let Anzalone test the market, and he comes back to be the 4th LB on that value of a contract…sure keep him. But MLB like DT needs major upgrading.

Whether it be a FA talent like Pratt, a draftee like Sewell, etc it needs to be addressed.

If they aren’t making personal posts about me I simply don’t respond to anything they say whether I agree or disagree. There was absolutely no reason for him to include me in a discussion on this thread, lol, ESP when it’s to point out to me that his opinions are more important than any facts that I may use. I just went thru 2 different threads where he argued with me about the value of a guy who has 4 rushing yards and 1 catch for 5 yards on 5 targets and 2 tackles on special teams…and then he turns around and wants to dismiss the numbers of the leading tackler on the team, a guy who IS actually bringing value to his position. Can’t make this shit up. As long as he isn’t quoting me personally to tell me how right he is and how wrong I am, with no facts BTW, just a simple, VERY simple opinion, then I won’t ever reply to anything he say

Those aren’t facts, those are your opinions. The 8 yard down the field BS is just that. Who calls the D? Who makes sure guys are where they should be when they line up, who is the QB of the D, this is exactly why Barnes hasn’t earned that spot yet. Barnes has commented on how much Anzalone has helped him and our LB coach Shepherd spent 6 minutes talking about what AA brought to the D and how much he has helped Rodrigo. They signed Cabinda to a contract with a 2nd year out. If they love him so much why was that? With re to how a woman argues I would say that someone who argues that an unproductive player deserves to be retained and then argues that a productive one should be kicked ASAP is closing in fast on that designation. Will Rogers said that when you have dug yourself into a hole you might want to quit digging. Good advice for people who understand it so I’m sure it was a mistake to even mention it.

I guess we look at the value a bit different.
If Alex were to sign for the proposed he pockets $6.2 Million dollars at signing. Not chump change and certainly not disrespectful. $6.2 Million is more than he made the last 4 years combined.

3 Likes

I’m not sold on bringing Anzalone back. If there is a better option that we can get on a short term deal like, I don’t know…Lavonte David…then Anzalone MAY can come back when David or Rodrigo or whomever they draft gets injured.

1 Like

I want him back, but dunno, this will be his last chance to cash in. So maybe he takes a cut or a friendly or maybe he does better for himself and his family. He took less money to come back this last year…….

2 Likes

Ummm…listen to almost anything in the outside world today???

2 Likes

Touche…

Realisticlly, Anzalone knows the D, can call coverages, is a good mentor according to Barnes and MRod, and comes up with a wow play every now and then. He played his best ball ever in the second half of last year.

However, if i were a betting man, I’d bet that last year was AA’s peak. I don’t see him improving at 29…maybe he has another year in him. So 2023 should be getting MRod, Barnes or a rook more familiarity in calling a D. And 2024, I think AA will be on the decline and on his way out. He says he wants a multi year del, but I bet he’s positioning for just something more than one year. To me, he’s earned a 4-5M deal next year, and 2-3 M the following year, and not much else. Put lipstick on the pig with a three or four year easy out.
We will be fine with or without AA.

2 Likes

Underrated post!

Anzalone is top notch depth and excellent insurance in case Rodriguez/Barnes can’t take the lead of the defense in 2023. He has had to sign a one year prove it deal in FA the last two seasons. I understand he may have better stats this season, but clearly the league does not view him very highly. He has played well enough for us to earn a 2-3 year deal at 3-4mil AAV per season. If he wants more let him go.

I agree that Anzalone makes a lot of tackles after large gains and is often catching as opposed to delivering the blow. This is due to his lack of experience at playing football in general. I see now that he has gotten better near the end of the year, with some hiccups,( Carolina game). We are seeing a linebacker who is playing better down the stretch due to the fact that he got 95% of the snaps when healthy over the past two years, over 2000 snaps. However I don’t know that it was worth the snap investment on a player who is turning 29 in September. I would invest in the younger players, as is the case with most the positions on this team and on positions on teams across the NFL. Investing in an older player is a rare bird.

Also, Alex Anzalone having the green dot is what has kept him on the field. I don’t agree that it was needed. It is the responsibility of the coaches to put the best players on the field regardless of who wears the green dot. If Anzalone could not be on the field, the defense would be and was fine without him. I went to the Chicago game and Barnes align the defense for many plays in that game no problem. I am sure there are others on the team capable, they are all professional football players.
I will never believe a player who started playing football his senior year in high school and had only 75 tackles his entire college career is the only player who can align the defense. Most players on the team have been playing sense their youths, their football savvy has to be better than someone like Anzalone with the limited experience he has had. That is not to say Anzalone can’t do it, but he is definitely not the only one. To keep a player base on him being the green dot is asinine.

1 Like

Absolutely wrong “coach”. Just a question, did you listen to the interview with Kelvin Sheppard at all? The green dot means you ARE the best player on the field, your job goes past your individual responsibility. IF Barnes steps up into that role, IF he is better at it than AA, then fine. But the coaches have clearly felt he has NOT been that guy so far. And the Carolina game, nice call, the entire team shit the bed but it was somehow AA’s fault? LOL, those over 100 tackles, if he isn’t making them who is and how did they get 8 yards down the field to begin with, did the DL have any responsibility for how that happened? C’mon man.

1 Like