Are we done talking about Goff?

Haha! Trust me, bro. I’m with you on that one!
I really think Willis has a chance to be a good one, with a floor of being a great backup.

I think this too. Literally no other option, at least through this year…was always the plan.

1 Like

I also believe this, pending continuation of the good season.

Lots more football to be played, but I think Goff has way more rope with Holmbell than he does with most fans.

3 Likes

Guaranteed…at least to Brad.
I promise they are talking about it. They’re like The Borg from Star Trek…a collective mind among the coaching staff.

I think they will always look at improving the team through any means necessary, including QB.
I really think they’d do what they can to improve the team, even if it meant drafting a stud QB and trading him.

2 Likes

Naturally there are a few plays that Goff would give his entire paycheck for to have back. But there is no question he is 1,000% more comfortable (especially mentally) than he was last year, and his play is reaping the rewards of that.

5 Likes

If Goff can just win a playoff game in Detroit it pretty much validates Holmes wanting him In the draft. Brads gonna do everything possible to help Goff…that’s his guy! And it’s the way it should be.

2 Likes

Foregone conclusion, and I think the bar is MUCH higher than that.
This is where my opinion differs from most.
I’m not going by old Detroit Lions standards, I’m going by “Best team in the NFL” standards, which is what the goal is, I’m sure.

I’d ask some of you guys this question…
What about Dan and Brad screams…“Let’s win a playoff game” energy?
Dan is an alpha-male that wants the most consistently competitive team on the planet. Trust me, our goal is not to win a playoff game…it’s to create a force that dominates the NFCN for a decade and gets to a few SBs.

Even that might be lower than the bar they’re reaching for.

I think they looked at positional value and need. A backup QB would be nice, but they need help/depth so many other places, they decided to use the picks to bolster the rest of the roster. Guys who stand more of a chance of seeing the field instead of backup QB.

Plus, they probably thought/hoped one of their two guys would step up to the challenge.

2 Likes

hard to disagree with any of that

3 Likes

I honestly think Goff can be better than Goff. But he needs to get the eye of the tiger back. He plays like a man who has been beaten down and he’s just trying to hold onto his job. And if he continues to do that, I think he will eventually lose it. You need an Alpha dog mentality to win as a NFL starting QB. I just don’t see that in him currently.

YES

YES

To select Willis, which player(s) are you dropping from this past draft?

Willis was picked 86th.

Gonna drop Rodriguez plus???

I think he’s starting to do so and I completely agree with you on this point. Three years ago this man was starting elite QBs in the eyes with zero fear - and beating them.

Then his team dumps everyone around him. Then his team dumps him out of nowhere. And his reward for that is being sent to the worst team in the league talent-wise. He was stripped of his confidence. That’s a tough road man.

But… …he’s a couple years older, a little humbler and wiser for sure, more of a family fan. Nobody questions him as a teammate. He now has some say in the offense. He now has some guys around him (and not even all of them yet).

Front office and coaches are giving him every opportunity to return to the form that got him this contract in the first place. Up to him to grab it by the horns.

2 Likes

I was thinking Joseph, but that wouldn’t work.
Joseph and a 2023 3rd?

I’m confused? Why would I have to drop Rodrigo if I drafted Willis?

1 Like

we wouldn’t

1 Like

I’m 51 and have seen us win 1 playoff game. I like Brad and Matt and get what your saying……but just winning a playoff game with the Lions is a monumental feat. Hell we’ve never even won the division. I’m excited about this team but I’ve been burnt before. Hope you’re right brother!!!

3 Likes

Willis made his debut Monday night. Didn’t look awesome. Went 1-4 and lost a fumble

1 Like

That’s a lot for a rebuilding team with a need at safety. To get a guy that isn’t ready yet. Needs a couple years most likely.

It’s why I think they’re content building the rest of the roster and running with Goff for now. It’s his job to lose in the future. Fans won’t like it.

Goff is good enough to get them through this year. It would be nice if he ever got to play a meaningful game with his entire starting Oline.

We all know Goff doesn’t play well with pressure in his face. Well, most QBs don’t either. It gets hard to throw downfield when you’re missing 60% of your prior game starters on the Oline and when the pressure gets through, it’s instant.

If we are honest, on several of the plays fans don’t like, he has pressure in his grill immediately. The pick six featured a complete ole’ didn’t it? By Stenberg?

3 Likes

Because Willis went before the Lion’s third round pick. You’re either taking him in the second or packaging picks to move up to get him.

If you’re dealing with picks in 2022, who you giving up?

Yea Tannehill didn’t look to good either. Willis is definitely a project.

1 Like