Are we done talking about Goff?

I don’t have anything more to go on than you do but I agree with your take. I don’t think Holmes is 100% on Goff either, but Holmes is closer to 100 than Campbell. Maybe because, unlike almost everyone here, or Campbell, he was there when Goff was tearing it up in 2017 and 2018.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Jared at his best is a breathtaking performer, BETTER than all but about 3-4 guys at THEIR best. If you’ve seen him do special things again and again, you can’t unsee them or forget them. I imagine that may be doubly true if you scouted him when he was in college or watched him on the practice field many, many times, as Brad did. (And DC didn’t.)

Under those circumstances, his blemishes and lapses might frighten/frustrate you, but you might also think: OMG. What if we could not simply “restore” the 2018 version of Jared Goff, but actually take the best of 2018 Goff then - let’s call it his “arm talent”; take advantage of the additional 4 years of experience he now has; give him ownership over the offense that he never had before; and get some talent around him (which they’d try to do for any QB, obviously)… what would THAT look like?

I think that’s Brad’s vision. He’s not “all-in” on Goff, but he thinks the gamble is worthwhile because he knows the payoff can be special. Certainly a better bet than drafting a promising rookie and hoping. I’ll say it again: Goff’s ceiling is VERY high. But his floor is also below-average. I think DC isn’t convinced about Goff’s ceiling, but he’s also not sold on the need for superstar QB for his system to work. He’s an old-school, just-gimme-a-QB-who-doesn’t-F-up-and-occasionally-makes-a-winning-play-and-the-running-game-and-defense will take it from there.

Pulling hard for JG - and really excited to see what happens!

5 Likes

Fuel for the never ending Stafford/Goff discussion. :imp:

5 Likes

I am also 51, and I am handsome.

To us…not to them.
It’s like if I’m used to making $5/hour, and someone wants me to work with their kid, and I think charging anything more than that is monumental…but the family is wealthy AF. It would be worth a $75,000 to that family, if I could get their kid off of drugs. To them, that’s teh equivalent of me buying a pair of jeans, in terms of how it impacts my debt to income ratio.

Lesson in the story is this…Don’t put your money stories onto other ppl.
…don’t put your win/loss story onto Dan and Brad.

That’s what she said.

I’ll buy that, for sure!

That’s what she said

Worst possible timing for the “gif” thing to not work

You’re a goofy nut. :+1:t5:

2 Likes

I like how positive you are but Brad and Dan have never done it at this level. There is something different about turning this thing around in Detroit compared to just about any other team in the NFL. I’m not even thinking SB I just want to win a division or even a fricking playoff game. Dan was here for 0-16 so he knows what it’s all about. You have to walk before you can run. Actually making the playoffs in year 2 would be a huge accomplishment of the rebuild.

2 Likes

It was deflected, I thought?
Shit happens. The Eagles are a very good team.

2 Likes

I’m just saying that the “conflicted” you feel with Goff, comes out when you’re talking about him.

I thought maybe it was because of your love for Stafford that you couldn’t love another QB in Detroit but wasn’t really sure. I just knew that when you were talking about Goff, your endorsement was never really glowing…in fact, maybe it was positive sometimes but followed by more negative stuff. Maybe I’m the only one seeing this or feeling this, but just an observation that I thought I’d share.

1 Like

Through my lens of the world - it is incredibly consistent.
Through my lens of the world none of it is “good” or “bad,” just neutral observation (this may be where the disconnect comes in).

Do I think goff is an above average starter? Yup (you might see that as positive)
Do I think Goff puts up HUGE numbers? Yup (you might see that as positive)
Do I think Goff is a guy that CAUSES us to win? Nope (Negative?)
Do I think goff is th emotional leader? Nope (negative?)

IMO → all neutral feedback…All my truth.
Goff will win here more than Stafford ever did.
Goff will win more playoff games here than anyone since the 50s
Goff will not be THE REASON we win SBs
Goff could get us to the playoffs every year…for sure
Goff could post top 10 numbers easily
Goff will lose when pressured by the better defenses that show up in playoffs.

All my truth. You’re seeing negative and positive
you’re seeing ripping him and building him up
to me, all of those statements are simultaneously true

I think the bar that Dan and Brad have is Much higher than the fans
winning a playoff game is not the holy grail to them.
Appearing in…and winning SBs is the goal.

Goff is a good NFL QB
there might be 15 pp on teh planet that can do his job better than him
That said, I don’t view him as good enough to get us to deep playoff runs every year.

Take that and create whatever reality you want for yourself (that’s what everyone does, btw).

So weird to me that you think my view of Goff has anything to do with Matt, BTW.

1 Like

Did you watch the post game locker room celebration? Watch Goff’s energy there! One of many bad asses patting other bad asses backs. I think it was quite cool. You might not. But I thought it was worth sending your way.

3 Likes

Jerad must be the luckiest QB ever, first falls in with McVay and leads the highest scoring O in the nfl, McVay gets 100% credit…Goff sux, he needs McVay in his ear to find the men’s room

Banished to Detroit, your hero QB had enough “please get me outta here” Goff inherits pretty much a depleted version last year, “oh my God, thi,s guy sucks, no wonder he got ran outta LA”

Then, all of a sudden things start clicking, yeah but he can’t and won’t win the big one, can’t take us deep into the playoffs, except he’s been there and done that with a Rams team missing Kupp and Gurley a shell of what he was

They lose

Cooks drops 2 TDS

Goff sux

I’m quite certain had Stafford been deal Brandin Cooks for his playoff run things would have been perhaps different

Likewise had Goff had Cooper freaking Kupp in his Super Bowl???

I guess we’ll never know

5 Likes

He’s got some fantastic weapons, and it’s about to get better.
Same w/LA
Our Coaches have this team much more competitive than they ought to be, given last year’s roster…and now we’re getting some talent.
This is gonna be fun.

1 Like

I feel more positively to Goff. He’s not a plug and play QB. I think the current regime feels invested in him and invested in a lot of talent around him. According to everything we heard Goff co-engineered the offense that is currently too five in the league

He’s also according to teammates one of the hardest working players on the team and has helped to inspire them. So I respectfully disagree that he isn’t an emotional leader or someone who is an important part of winning

4 Likes

Dammit, lol , stop quoting my goof ups

:smiley: :grin:

1 Like

They most certainly are

Your guys time has come, you’re about to embark on a great ride

Enjoy

2 Likes

I really do agree with this. He’s a smart som’bitch that does his homework and puts the effort in…and that DOES impact the fellas.

There are different ways to be an emotional leader. Some ways he has it, others…notSoMuch. He’s not worthless. He’s good. He’s got some great qualities.
It’s not like either you are a leader…or you are not.
There are levels and layers of it.
josh Allen is the extreme example. I know it’s not at all likely we ever get one of those, but that type of wiring is specifically what I’m talking about.

Think scale of 1-10
Goff
Studies hard. 10
Short memory after mistakes 10
Will play hurt. 9 or 10
Likable with the fellas. 10
Warrior energy. 4
Mobility. 3
Speed. 4

Like that…think of it like I’m saying he’s not mobile.
Mobility is to physicality as Warrior is to energy.
Goff has some components of leadership that are great…others…welll…he’s not a mobile QB

*I’m not even a huge fan of mobile QBs and it is not my goal to get one. I am merely using it as an example to demonstrate ONE of MANY dimensions of leadership.

1 Like

Thanks, buddy. I really do appreciate your input and support.

1 Like

I wonder if people think that the Ravens won their Superbowl despite Joe Flacco?
Or the Eagles won their Superbowl despite Nick Foles?

I don’t wonder that at all. Don’t even care what they think.