As Rams Imploded McVay faded away

Good article at theAthletic on the Rams season after winning the Superbowl, yes subscription required.

3 Likes

Found this section interesting as it addresses McVay’s emotions and connections as a playcaller; positive and negative impact. Makes you think of what several Ram/Goff fans had said how something had changed between them. Also makes you think McVay is a candidate for burnout in the near future, if he has the ability to be a good broadcaster it may be a better calling for him.

Two small sections:

He became emotionally distant from players and staff, consumed by his frustration. Sky-high expectations had been replaced by problems that the meticulous coach couldn’t control, and it was infuriating to him. He faded away, polite but mechanical in press conferences, drained and angry behind closed doors. Players gravitated toward defensive coordinator Raheem Morris’ office as their head coach drew inward.

…

McVay is a “heart-on-his-sleeve” play caller. Careful observers can see the ebbs and flows of his brain call by call — and they can also see when creativity and collaboration morph into frustration and angst. When he calls a game, he feels connected to his players and they to him; the unspoken energy is transferred back and forth, good or bad. Or really bad.

“I have an ability to bring people with me in this positive energy and this aura,” McVay said. “But I also believe that can be equally destructive, even if I’m not saying anything. The frustration, the body language guys feel — that leads to them being tighter and not going and playing the way they are capable of.”

5 Likes

I blame the hair gel

4 Likes

Whatever it was, thx for the 6th pick in the draft!

7 Likes

Why is he coming back, then?

1 Like

NFL = Not For Long
1 year removed from a parade.

In a nutshell, McVay suffers from little man syndrome. It should not be taken lightly.

3 Likes

…. And his GF gravitated towards Goff!

Seriously good article. As much as I don’t care for McVay, he’s super competitive, and will bring that team back. They will push SF next year, maybe they can get to 10-7. They are really lucky they won it last year, because SF, Philly and Detroit will have a lock on the NFC for the next few years.

2 Likes

they were truly a house of cards with Miller and OBJ not coming back. Stafford and Robinson never connected. Cam Akers. OL injuries. It was a perfect storm. Without Mayfield, we would have had the 1 or 2OA pick.

5 Likes

That tracks with the dynamic reported between him
and Goff. The Oline went to shit in 2019 and his 3rd year QB was struggling. His response was to emotionally snub him and throw him under the bus

What a giant douche. He needs to watch some Ted Lasso and figure out how to treat other humans

5 Likes

For the record, Corgi’s have zero confidence issues.

1 Like

He’s in real danger of losing the locker room. If Stafford and Kupp can’t find lightening in a bottle,(and I don’t think they can), shits going to get real early.

1 Like

Definitely a polarizing personality. He may get the Rams to do a major rebound because of his energy and attention to detail, or they may implode again if things aren’t going well. I really can’t tell.

As a people leader and fan, personality matters to me. How you get there is just as important as getting there. When he did Goff dirty, I definitely lost a ton of respect (he had already done it to Gurley and Talib).

4 Likes

Be careful blaming the wunderkidt for anything around here. It was clearly Goffs fault.

That one’s a stretch.
McVay has been wonderkid to absolutely nobody around here.
I mean, I get that you’re a big Goff defender and all, but get real.

1 Like

Gonna have to learn to use “search”.
I’m more of a reality defender.

2 Likes

I’m a fortis defender :crazy_face:well, no I’m retired but still ….

Whose been taking that approach brother?

1 Like

It was the common theme everywhere. Media, Rams boards and here even. Obviously, not everyone took that approach. But it was the majority.

Those optics are the reason why very few ever considered Goff a good QB and DET got him for free in a throw in practicaly. Unless you were really paying attention to everything as a few of us Rams fans knew.

5 Likes