As Rams Imploded McVay faded away

McVay will bounce back. Its in his DNA to do so. He has flaws that are becoming more and more evident. I do think him and Stafford wont be around much longer thought. 2 or 3 years tops. McVay is one interesting dude. Still wish we hired Shanahan. But McVay is a great coach. Just bit of a headcase.

1 Like

Defensor Fortis!
I donā€™t think I knew that. SP or LE?

1 Like

Haha, well played good sir, well played! Did he catch anything?

Ridiculous.

To many, I dare say most, Goff was a bridge.
To many, Goff was presumed to be holding McVay back, in that McVay wanted more downfield explosives than a risk-averse Goff was providing.

But even with that perception of Goff, to NONE was McVay seen as Wonderkid. If anything, the majority of folks here looked down on him mostly because Goff was part of the family. ā€œTeam colorsā€ as they say.

There was instant criticism of McVay that was thrown around for no reason (in my opinion) other than defending a now-Lion.

Not one of our better days as I remember it.

I find cats are much better when it comes to fishing!!

cat eating GIF

2 Likes

A common thread on Twitter posts and comment sections is that because McVay gave up on Goff and because McVay is a genius, Goff must suck. The Den is an extremely small sample of what the general consensus of Goff and McVay really is.

5 Likes

I think it was simple. Jared Goff was traded for Matt Stafford. A perennial loser who never accomplished anything in Detroit. Pretty sure itā€™s a natural conclusion to believe Goff wasnā€™t very good. Without any other outside influences.

I certainly didnā€™t think McVay was some genius. I just simply saw a quarterback getting traded for two 1st round picks & 3rd. Plus the other teams quarterback.

Correct. Which is why I mentioned the different sources. As you alluded too.

1 Like

And a few years ago, I think itā€™s fair to say that pretty much all his frustration and ugliness was trained, wrongly, on Jared Goff.

1 Like

Because the Rams gave up on Goff and because both Snead and McVay are viewed competent, many would assume Goff was too limited to continue building around. That and oodles and oodles of stat-mongers and pundits pointing to all the reasons why Goff failed.

NONE of that says ā€œMcVay is a Wonderkidā€ that somehow people will be triggered by criticisms of. There have been criticisms of McVay since the trade.

1 Like

Are you speaking of this forum only? If so I generally agree. If you are talking about mainstream media, I strongly disagree. Genius and boy wonder were thrown around constantlyā€¦

2 Likes

ā€œBe careful blaming the wunderkidt for anything around here.ā€

That is what Iā€™m responding to. Itā€™s rubbish.

Great coach? Remains to be seen. Heā€™s got a good mind for offensive football, but can he adjust once defensive coordinators figure it out? Can he win big without a bunch of future HOFā€™ers in tow and without mortgaging the teamā€™s future to get them? When things go wrong, can he keep his **** together and not undermine his own team? Can he apply the lessons learned of recent years and change his behavioral inclinations? At some point he and his coaching staff are gonna have to draft and develop players if theyā€™re to be a perennially good team. Can he oversee a regime that does that?

Those are fair questions. Big questions.

2 Likes

In 6 years heā€™s been to the playoffs 4 times and the Superbowl twice and winning once. I guess it depends on your definition of great? Because Iā€™d say thats great production. I already stated he has flaws in this thread. But reality is heā€™s been as successful as any coach during these last 6 sessons.

Now is he the coach you want with a rebuilding roster or inexperienced QB? Thatā€™s very debatable. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s for certain McVay will always be viewed as great. But at this point in time itā€™s hard to argue with what heā€™s done to this point. And I agree with some of your points.

4 Likes

That Rams team has a lot of problems and weaknesses beginning with that oline.

It will be interesting to see how much salary cap room they create to add a player or two. Even if they do add some talent in free agency, they have a number of guys on the wrong side of 30ā€“Stafford, Donald, Kupp, Floyd. And they have a ton of talent to replace from the Super Bowl team.

1 Like

Looks like theyā€™re going to have to restructure guys in order to get any kind of room. Thereā€™s just not any large chunks that can be created by cutting players. (Unlike Detroit where a quick 24 mil can be generated by cutting 3 players)

Great production, for sure. His strengths are considerable. He definitely changed the culture at Rams Park in a very good way - and did it quickly. Heā€™s smart, charismatic, energetic. As a (former) Rams fan, I was very impressed when he hired Wade Phillips to be his first DC.

But, again, my questions are fair. AND he got badly out-coached by Belichek in their first Bowl appearance, then won in 2021 on the strength of hired guns and a very favorable draw in the playoffs. (That said, given the talent levels of the two Rams SB teams, Iā€™d say McVay did a better job the first time around, though they lost.) Credit to McVay and Snead for getting their guys, but I donā€™t think it took a great coach to win with half a dozen future HOFers in/near their prime on the field.

The regime has eaten and will continue to eat a LOT of dead money. He almost ruined a very good young QB. If McVay was the ā€œQB whispererā€ he was supposed to be I think they could have won the Bowl WITH Goff and retained the two firsts they gave up to get Stafford. A lot of Rams fans want to slam Snead now, but the contracts handed out, the draft pix traded, the draft pix that donā€™t pan out - anyone who thinks McVay isnā€™t in the thick of all those decisions is kidding themselves.

Iā€™ll say this: if McVay can steady the ship and keep the Rams playoff-relevant over the next few years, more power to him.

For folks who measure the greatness of a coach by the number of SB appearances and wins then, yeah, McVay is a great coach. Tell you wut, though: as of now, Iā€™m more impressed with Campbell.

They sacrificed the future to give him whatever he wanted and needed. Iā€™m not saying he shouldā€™ve gotten to the SB twice in six years, but how often does a coach get this kind of treatment? Teams that do what the rams did, often have success, how can you not?

And wtf is the favorable playoff route I keep seeing? Sure they opened with Arizona. But then played the two best teams in the NFC in Tampa and SF en route to the SB. Thatā€™s not a favorable routeā€¦itā€™s about as tough as possible. So weird people are trying do diminish what that team accomplished.

They mortgaged the future for the present and won. McVay may be a great coach. But I donā€™t think a team w/a healthy Donald, Kupp, Miller, Ramsey, Whitworth, and Stafford - 3 possible HOFā€™ers on either side of the ball, plus more on special teams - needed a great coach to win big. OTOH, keeping the Rams in the playoff picture over the next few years will indeed take great coaching. Weā€™ll see if McVay is up to the task.