As Rams Imploded McVay faded away

I agree that McVay is no QB whisperer. I’ve actually posted how both now Cousins and Goff both improved statically after leaving McVay. His offense is also very feast or famine like. It’s his other attributes that make him a good coach. McVay is the most overrated offensive “genius” in the league. Because really he’s not that at all.

I agree about Wade Phillips. That won me over! Then… him giving Goff away for nothing and throwing away a team that could compete for a decade was a hard pill to swallow. It soured me on McVay but I still acknowledge all that he does. I’ll always be a Rams fan. Curious…did McVay drive you away?

1 Like

No.

When the 9ers upset the Cowboys the Rams went to Tampa instead of Green Bay. That was a big plus and was widely regarded as such at the time. (They were 2-0 against Tampa w/Brady.)

The 9ers were tough, but the Rams got to play them at home instead of going to Lambeau. The Rams in fact became the first team ever to have both the Championship round game and SB at home.

And who’d they play in the SB - the Bengals, who had a 10-7 regular season record. Instead of the Chiefs.

In sum:

After playing Arizona, the Rams faced Tampa when the tougher alternative was GB. They won by 3.

Then they played the 9ers at home when the even tougher alternative was the Pack on the road. They won by 3.

Then they played the Bengals when the tougher alternative was the Chiefs. They won by 3.

Obviously, they played the teams in front of them and won. But if that doesn’t strike you as a fortuitous road there’s no point arguing about it.

2 Likes

Definitely. I was a big McVay fan early on, but saw flaws - the rigidity in his play-calling, for one - but I thought Goff REALLY got screwed. I’d one thing for McVay to lose faith in him, but when we started hearing about McVay calling him out in front of the team, giving lukewarm praise even when Goff led them to a key win w/a broken thumb? Goff, for his part, was a total mensch. The contrast between the was stark. When Snead was asked if Goff was the Rams QB and he looked at his watch and said, “yeah, what time is it now?” - yeah, that was it for me.

2 Likes

Agree with all that. I still have a hard time believing it went down the way it did. It’s refreshing to talk to someone who saw McVay for what he really is. Most Rams fans had the blinders on for Sean. Which is understandable considering all the winning. But regarding Goff you are absolutely correct. He wanted all the credit when things were good and blamed Goff when they were not. McVay and Stafford appear to be closer than McVay ever was with Goff. He also admitted to listening to Stafford more. Something we now know he didn’t do with Goff for whatever the reason. I still think McVay is a hell of coach but I always saw the headcase in him many never noticed or wanted to see. Guys a anomaly.

Say McVay is gone…are you a fan again? I couldn’t imagine not being a fan of the Rams.

1 Like

Alot of teams fail with that model. Howie Roseman is on record talking about his failed attempt at building that kind of a team…The Dream Team…that got Andy Reid fired. Its not as easy as it looks when its successful.

One thing that has helped McVay that I’m sure few people want to talk about is the favorable calls from the refs. Brockers was not shy in describing how different the games were ref’d when the Rams were in St. Louis vs LA.

1 Like

CATM LE and SP and SFS

Came in core CATM 75xxx and then merged of course ….

You?!

SP all the way.
Counting rivets the first year. Then SAT and BAF. SP, KI Sawyer and E-2 after basic, “guaranteed”. My recruiter saw me coming.
Got my first taste of LE in civilian life, still in Security, but, at Honeytree Apts, in the late 70’s.
That was enough for me.
Moved on to cars.

Tampa was without two of its best players in Godwin and Wirfs. Right tackle was a major problem for them in that game.

The Rams also had no business even being in the 2018 Super Bowl. That no-call at the end of the game was the worst bit of refereeing I have ever seen.

I’m very interested to see what McVay does this year with an aging roster that is not super talented.

3 Likes

As a long time Rams fan, I also jumped ship, like Woot, after McVay and Snead’s ridiculous comments before Goff was traded.

No way I go back to rooting for that team. I’m not from St. Louis, but the way those weasels Kroenke and Demoff lied about not moving to LA was disgusting. That was just plain ugly.

You might as well leave that ugly dump they have in LA and become a full time Lions fan. The owner is not a selfish prick and they actually have a good coach who is fun to root for.

In my lifetime as a fan, I’ve only had two coaches I’ve enjoyed rooting for: Dick Vermeil & Spagnuolo. It will be so sweet watching the Lions win playoff games and maybe going a step or two further :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Most fans here talk shit about McVay because he said what he needed to win went out and got it and did just that. Won it all, any coach and GM would trade being 2nd every year for one championship. Some here tried to say it would never happen and hated it to happen. He is in a small Group of coaches to win a Superbowl. Now people see Flaws. Lol . Lion fans are some sore losers. McVay already has succeeded and yet you see Flaws.

Most poster here that are hating on McVay either hated Stafford or Just Love Goff.

2 Likes

Perfect summary of this thread.

2 Likes

I think you’re missing a large group, perhaps the largest.

That group would be posters who realize McVay is, in fact, limited in his ability to coach and run an offense, having been bailed out by a veteran QB at crucial points of their Superbowl run.

1 Like

Well that don’t conside with the native that he could have won it with Goff and Goff wasn’t the issue. He took 2 different teams to the Superbowl and won 1. He also said exactly that he could win with a guy like Stafford. So not sure what your point is he was smart enough to know what it took to win. Once again the unrealistic thinking of a fan is that if hes good he calls a perfect game. Every games has good plays and bad but the most good plays win. McVay game calling wasn’t perfect but was good enough to win the Superbowl.

Most anyone would take that Superbowl limeted coach. Halarious fans saying they see the limits on a coach that won the superbowl, everyone has limits buts his was good enough to win a Superbowl that so many never can do.
I Got You Good Job GIF by JMatt

1 Like

You know what TC, I’m done chasing narratives. It’s like whack-a-mole.

4 Likes

Didn’t Ben just do that this last season?

No punting just a score at the end of every drive? :crazy_face::heart::pray::upside_down_face::+1:

I wish I could have been based in Michigan at a later point in my career before retiring…. Stupid BRAC and stupid leadership….

I was at Bitburg AB West Germany, FE Warren WY, Howard AFB Panama, Misawa AB JA, the hellhole called WPAFB in Ohio and was blessed to go back to Misawa again and retired from there….

My only selfish little regret was not staying and living in Japan.

Lots of TDYs and deployments as well…

Miss it but with my court case dismissed, Gods giving me a second to rock for him and enjoy each day we are giving to its fullest - good and bad days? I just happy to get today!! :crazy_face::heart::+1::pray:

3 Likes

The Lions are an easy team to root for. Mostly because they suck. But I’m a Rams fan through the good and bad. But I agree with some of your sentiments as well as Woots. And as great as winning the Superbowl was. Like you guys I’m mot convinced we needed the trade to do so. Though, I think Staffords experience did help in that playoff run. I just think we gave up too much to do it. Which is why I see Woot having a solid point about McVay not being great.

Would anyone here trade Holmes for McVey right now?

1 Like

Give us Holmes and a 1st rounder and throw in Goff. We’ll give you Stafford back! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

McVay’s lady better start stretching!

2 Likes