Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Very sad…. Sending prayers to those who are affected by this tragedy.

Crazy!

https://x.com/ibzdragon/status/1772535594700177883?s=46&t=QdfJCp82EM3qoPecSpo1LQ

Was just coming to post this, I’ve been on that bridge numerous times. Horrible horrible only positive if there is one is it happened at 1:30am instead of rush hour.

https://x.com/ThatUchihaGuy/status/1772587001318875542?s=20

Its sad, but man it could’ve been much worse

https://x.com/emeriticus/status/1772704209298739353?s=20

2 Likes

I know that. Just think gosh it wasn’t rush hour.

I saw somewhere the ship had called out for help and I think they were able to limit traffic.

2 Likes

and there are a bunch of mfers who are saying this was staged.

This was terrible. I can’t imagine the terror of the people who were on the bridge as it went.

And this is going to be rough for that area for a while, as it’s blocking a major shipping lane/port.

1 Like

I bet Aaron Rodgers has some theories.

2 Likes

■■■■!

that is literally my worst fear. I had a phobia of bridges as a child and would burrow as deep in the seats as I could as we went over the Mackinac bridge every year like a scared cat in a strange house

It was so worrisome that as a kid I wondered how I’d be able to drive if a bridge came up

I got over it obviously but it’s still there in the deep dark alleys of my hidden fears. Watching that bridge collapse just sent chills up my spine and I’m horrified at the thought

1 Like

I haven’t read the full story yet, but couple questions that I have are…

How much time was it between when the ship lost power and when they hit the bridge. Could they not have dropped anchor when they realized they were drifting without power?

How much time between when they reported to the authorities to stop traffic and when they hit the bridge? I guess not enough time to warn the construction workers, or maybe no knowledge of construction workers even being on site.

Wonder if the construction workers saw it coming in and just didn’t have time to get to safety.

They lost power and hit the support within minutes. From what I know, they attempted to drop anchor, but it happened too quick. The ship sent out a mayday call, which was picked up and somehow was received and acted on quick enough to save lives (pretty impressive).

1 Like

As a serious boater and a master certified 100 ton captain. I can tell you the anchor was not an option. The engines were under power and the anchor would likely just drag and cause you lost control or worse capsizing the boat. They did the right thing. They sent out a mayday, blew their horns and tried their best to regain control of the ship to save as many lives as possible.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read they may have dropped an anchor to try and change the direction of the drift. That’s a desperation move though. There aren’t a lot of options for stopping or guiding a 100,000 ton moving object that can no longer control itself.

1 Like

Yeah, definite kudos to them for the actions they did take. I’m far from knowledgeable in this area. Just questions that popped in my head.

1 Like

Who?

‘Ship Captain ordered crew to slam rudder hard toward port and dropped anchor in desperate bid to slow.’

2 Likes

Alex jones, andrew tate and a slew of other idiots of a certain point of view

1 Like

so the usual morons who peddle that literally everything is a deep state conspiracy

2 Likes

Yes, and that now we should be watching all bridges on or near the East Coast for such a thing to happen again. Because… you know… terrorism comes in all forms. God forbid it was just a bad situation where the boat itself by their actions saved a bunch of lives and the tragedy count is at a minimum under the circumstances.

Because, you know, that’s not plausible enough for good TV or radio.

2 Likes

It is now being reported that they did try to drop anchor and this caused the boat to turn towards the bridge supports.

Dropping anchor was likely the one mistake (or not) the captain made but I’m sure it was a desperation move of panic.

One thing they teach you when getting your captains license it’s to only drop anchor if you’re able to cut power. Otherwise you will have no boat control and are risk of capsizing the boat.

So I wonder if the boat lost propulsion so the captain dropped anchor only to have the power come back on and pull the boat into the structure. I’m thinking that’s what happened here. We do know the boat lost power and regained power multiple times.

Sometimes there’s nothing you can do.