Bandwagon fans

Am I the only one who finds it mildly irrititating, tone deaf, and out of touch with where he’s actually playing, by Jamo insinuating that long suffering Lions fans are “bandwagon” fans? I really hope this kid isnt a dbag and is just immature and will grow out of it. I love confidence, but it can be a fine line…I also love the direction and current state of this team, but I’d honestly prefer Lions players to zip the shit talk until the team actually wins something…especially a players who has yet to actually, you know, play…:man_shrugging:

I digress, I’ve been a fan since 1981 when I was 7 years old and first watched Billy Sims and how awesome he was. I was hooked into this abusive relationship ever since…I remember crying and being depressed for weeks when Sims blew his knee out and his career ended, hmmmm, come to think if, this team has made me cry and be depressed for 40+ years now.

5 Likes

I’m concerned as well. I’d rather he stay off social media or tone his comments down. Guess it’s my issue, but it concerns me. You’re not alone on this.

2 Likes

Social media is the new ‘nothing good happens after 2am’

2 Likes

1957–nine years old. NFL champions. Got on the bandwagon that year and never got off.

6 Likes

I believe 1991 was the year that Detroit played the 9ers on Monday night football. I was living in Texas at the time (age 11) and well, didn’t want to go to bed. So I went and plopped down in a chair in the living room and my father was watching. He’s from Michigan.

First time I ever saw Montana, Rice, etc and a young man named Barry Sanders. Holy cow I was hooked.

So immediate Lions fan. And then obviously as I watched them year by year my knowledge of football in general became greater.

By the time I was - I’m going to say 15 - we had Sunday Ticket in it’s infancy on DirecTV and from that point forward never missed a game.

My calculator tells me that since I’m 42 now, that makes me a 31 year fan. Never waivered. Living in Texas, then Virginia, then Kentucky after that before returning back to Michigan around age 22, always repped the D.

2 Likes

Been a fan since 1980 when I moved to Michigan. I guess I’m a bandwagon fan.

3 Likes

Jamo just comes across as an immature youngster to me. He can grow out of this. But, all we really want to see is him working his ass off to get better at football. You want to impress the Detroit fans Jamo, start posting video of you training and working like a dog in the offseason to get better.

Talk is cheap. For the record, I think he’s going to have a big year next year. But, let’s prove that on the field not on social media.

3 Likes

Oh boy, I started watching the Lions on Thanksgiving Day, 1966. Cant remember the game really, but my dad and uncles were all into it…so, I was too. The first SB known at the time as the AFL-NFL Championship game was played that Jan. and all the talk was how the AFL was inferior and would get demolished by the NFL representative, in this case, GB. Everyone was correct. I came away from that game as a lifelong fan of the TE position because of the play of the Packers Max McGee. A couple of years later the Lions drafted C. Sanders. Instantly became my favorite player.

2 Likes

I’d bet there is a huge subset of dormant Lions fans. Those who Lions are their team cause they live in or are from Detroit, or maybe even the kids of Lions fans. These people have probably stopped watching or caring. With all the hype they will be coming alive.

Been a Lions fan since 2013, pretty much since I have started watching the NFL seriously and understanding it😄. I’m not sure why, my Dad used to work in the Motor industry, maybe a connection to the British Lions either way it just seemed to connect and have watched every Lions game since on TV.

Being from England, I’m desperate to visit Detroit and Ford Field, this season looks good on paper if I can secure tickets. How refreshing to be witnessing us move away from the same old Lions and hopefully some success, can’t wait for the draft and the season to begin.

6 Likes

1993 Year after the playoff win. I was watching football but living in San Francisco I was watching niners football with my family…I was 10. My dad was a lions fan and so I was one too. It was the number one thing that bounded us…lions and then redwings and pistons…

I think criticizing Jamo for using social media is not only very foolish but just getting old at this point.

I am 69 and have been a Lions fan all of my life. I know that I should not say this but I’m really stoked with this off season!!!

4 Likes

Year after the playoff win and the NFC championship… oh you poor fella!

At least I’ve seen one playoff win in my fanhood.

1 Like

It’s not so much about the use of social media, it’s what he said. Why wouldn’t you want more Lions fans!? Like sell out every home game, get the place rocking! What’s wrong with bandwagon fans!? The more the merrier in my book. Lions fans have been through hell. I completely understand fans jumping off the train with the product we have put on the field the past 30+ years.

It’s really no big deal though. Just not sure what he’s trying to accomplish with that post.

3 Likes

I don’t remember the year exactly. I watched the Lions on a Thanksgiving with my dad uncle and brothers.

The next school day Ms Hoch our third grade teacher asked us to draw a scene from our holiday and everyone drew families eating turkey. I drew Billy Sims

7 Likes

Been a fan since 2002. It was really difficult to follow the team with its limited coverage back then especially on the east coast.

So I watched the panthers while following the lions online and watching highlights and finding forums. In 2003 it’s been official. Haven’t looked back since. 2 decades of ribbing from every other fanbase.

Nothing but pity or “are you from Detroit!?” When I told them I’m a fan.

2 Likes

I was born in '74 and was a fan growing up in SE MI. I remember the tail end of the Silver Rush defense, and watching Billy Simms look superhuman. As a kid, no doubt the coolest part were the colors and I loved those silver and blue Detroit Lions pencils that could be purchased at the school store.

Anyway, I joined the Marines in '92 and being away from local broadcasts made me really miss watching the Lions on TV. I became obsessed in the early 90s, and while home on leave I attended the game that Barry busted 2k yards on the season vs. the Jets.

When Sunday ticket became available I couldn’t sign up fast enough. Like many, I’ve suffered through some lean times, thrown away a ton of money on jerseys, but have never given up hope. Going to college later in life at PSU, there were those that were in my ear to jump ship and stop wasting my energy on “that loser organization” and adopt the Shittsburg Steelers as my new team. No thanks…Lions fan forever here.

3 Likes

Growing up I had no sports fans in my life, so my love of sports fell on deaf ears. I was a NFL fan for years but just could not decide on a team to follow. Growing up in SW Michigan really didn’t help as all of my TV stations either came out of Chicago or South Bend. I started as a bandwagon fan after the Lions last playoff win, but then decided to stick with them hoping that I would eventually see them return to that point. Well we all know how that went and here I am 30 plus years later still waiting.

2 Likes

1997? Grew up in West Hartford, Connecticut, after the Whalers left for Carolina, we didn’t have a pro team so directed that energy into the NFL and picked the Lions because

A. Barry was amazing
B. Axl Foley’s Lions jacket in Beverly Hills Cop 2 was amazing
C. The trope of Detroit being a post apocalyptic wasteland (Robocop, the Crow) appealed to me.

Joined the Den in 2003 I wanna say?

1 Like