Bandwagon fans

I was born in 1973, by 1978…I was swapping football cards and chewing Topps gum-with Big League Chew lol. we played backyard ball , watched games…finally , my best friend RW…asked me what team was my favorite, my five year old self said “The Detroit Lions” and I’ve been in The Den since 2002 I think , long before the BIG ROOM split and divided , I have also been on other versions and 247-until that went to, to here. I’d say 19 years a Den member.

1 Like

Single Wagon Circle - Blazing Saddles on Make a GIF

3 Likes

Late 60’s, before the AFL merger anyway.
Didn’t get to watch them on TV but listened on the radio and my best friend and I scoured the Detroit Free Press for stats and stories in the school library on Monday. LOL

2 Likes

Born in Holly MI in 61, first memories are watching Greg Laundry in 68. Been a fan since then even though I lived in S Cal from 85-90 and PA from 90-2020. Could have jumped over to the Steelers, Eagles, or even Ravens but decided the Lions had to get good at some point.

And here we are!!!

6 Likes

I think the really surprising aspect is that Jamison even knows who REO Speedwagon is, or am I missing something?

2 Likes

I welcome the bandwagoners. It means recognition, players wanting to come here, endorsements for them, national TV games, and maybe even starting a new tradition of watching us win on TG. Besides, popular teams get the “luck”

4 Likes

Yes sir! There have been many, many times I questioned my sanity.
I’ve been a die hard since 1968. I’ve been watching or listening I’m sure since 1960.
I come from a family of Detroit sports fans. I never had a chance.:grinning:

2 Likes

Not sure how folks are remembering exact dates and games, but i was born and raised in Michigan so how could I not be a Lions fan. Just seems natural to become a fan of all the Detroit teams if that’s where you grew up and your sports interest started.

I was born in 1962, and remember sitting in front of the old tube TV with rabbit ears watching football as a preteen. It probably wasn’t until my teenage years that my fandom grew into more dedicated interest. So maybe mid-70s.

Another one bites the dust or Billy Sims timeline.

Whenever that was.

2 Likes

Saw Jameson post and thought, it’s now or never.

7 Likes

Welcome.
Great timing…joined 4hours ago.

1 Like

What’s good brotha, welcome to the Den. Special things happening here :fire:

2 Likes

Welcome…and hold on tight if/when they start the season 0-4!
falloffwagon

1 Like

As long as you can make Crowdnoise while holding up a 3, welcome aboard.

1 Like

Born in 64.
Lions fan 77 or 78 - Probably my first NFL memory is Detroit losing to Tarkenton
Board - not sure exactly. I’d guess somewhere in early 2000’s as I chose the name WCLF and was stationed in San Diego from 2000-2005.

3 Likes

I watched Alex Karras play in the 60s and actually fell off his house in the 70s lol. Saw Chuck Hugh’s die against Chicago. Been a long haul with a lot of disappointment over the years but there seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel now. It’s a good time to be a lions fan. :beer:

4 Likes

Even in the '90s it was no big deal to have a football player in your neighborhood.

William Gay lived 5 doors down from me and Wayne Fontes regularly ordered from the pizzeria where I worked. He had a Detroit Lions mailbox.

2 Likes

In 1962, I was put on a little league team called the Tigers. I loved playing baseball, and would wear my Tigers uniform whenever i could. So I became a Tigers fan. Al Kaline was my idol.
In New Jersey, everyone was a Yankees, Mets or Phillies fan, so I grew accustomed to ‘being different’. I was learning to read at the time, so would always go to the sports page of the newspaper and look up how “Detroit” did. And the “Detroit” look-up just spread to football, basketball, and hockey.
I knew of Wayne Walker, Joe Schmidt and Alex Karras. I used to long for Thanksgiving Day because that was the only time I could watch them.
I am hopelessly devoted to the Lions until the day I die. Mainly because of my Tigers little league uniform.

2 Likes

I love the sheer honesty. Hop on, brother!

1 Like

I joined some time in there as well…I think 2004.
Does anyone know the effective dates of the different forms of the forum?
I know 247 was before this one, but i forget the one before that. And I think there was even one before that?
It took me awhile to find this one after 247 went belly-up, and my wife noticed I became a little less amiable during that gap (LOL).

2 Likes

My dad knew Al Kaline and i met him outside the tigers locker room for a picture. One of my all time hero’s . He also knew Brooks Robinson 3rd baseman for Baltimore. Got to hold his gold glove trophy too. Those were cool times

5 Likes