Bears could trade Justin Fields to Baltimore

What was interesting about that deal was the 49ers lacked talent and big contracts at the time, so they had alot of money to spend. So they took on a big chunk of Jimmy’s signing bonus as a roster bonus. This gave them one big cap hit while they could afford it, and made Jimmy cheaper and easier to get rid of if they needed to. It was a $28M roster bonus with only $8M in signing bonus.

1 Like

I see. So it’s not really a stance that teams shouldn’t pay top dollar value to a QB. It’s more a stance that teams should only do so when they feel they have a franchise QB they can build around. How is this any different than the outlook that any team has anytime?

It really boils down to you liked Stafford more than Goff. But consider here’s the stats Stafford had when they gave him the 130 million extension

Stafford at age 29 had a passer rating of 99.3 with 4,446 yards, 29 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 16 games in 2017. For a 9-7 record just missing the playoffs. 7th ranked offense and 22nd ranked defense

Goff at age 28 had a passer rating of 99.3 with 4,438 yards, 29 touchdowns and 7 interceptions in 17 games in 2022. For a 9-8 record just missing the playoffs. 5th ranked offense. 28th ranked defense

Strikingly similar.

I don’t accept the inevitable comment here (not necessarily from you) of ‘not even the same, bro when did Stafford have a coach like Dan?’ Caldwell was a very good coach who was a big part of three Super bowl runs on two different teams.

In 2017 you watched Stafford and thought, ‘this fellow really deserves to be the highest paid QB in the NFL. A true franchise QB’

But in 2022 looking at Goff, with basically the exact same stats, albeit a worse defense and better TD:Int you think, ‘he’s not the type of guy to build around and extending him will harm the ability to build the team’

I actually don’t entirely disagree. I didn’t want to give Stafford the 130 million contract then and don’t want the Lions to make Goff the highest paid QB in the NFL. But I’m guessing if they do extend him it’s because Holmes does feel he’s a franchise QB and it’s possible he takes a team friendly deal with some voidable years to reduce the cap and actually make it easier to resign the young guys

1 Like

Justin Fields is straight trash imo

3 Likes

IIR, Stafford could have become a FA. Goff is locked up for 2-3 more years. The 3rd would be under franchise, but why the rush?

Playing devils advocate here. A three year extension would keep Goff here through 2027. Say the Lions give him a $110 million deal at $36.66 million per year, $75 million fully guaranteed at signing

This keeps him around 14% of the cap next year but the rub is, if the current cap trends continues, with the new TV deals the cap could be 300 million by 2026 and new QB deals around then will likely be north of 50 million a year. So we might get veteran peak Goff at 10% or the cap and gives us more flexibility to find the developmental heir

From TV contracts alone, the NFL will generate at least $100 billion in revenue over the next decade. It’s a figure that doesn’t even account for the pending sale of NFL Sunday Ticket and future growth for the NFL International Series. Tying up a young franchise type QB, who is popular with the team, performing well, knows the offense, loves the city, is high character for a few more years now, isn’t the worst idea

And gives us a veteran QB with a low cap percentage right when our Super bowl window will be if all continues to go well. Next year is too soon. 2024 will be a deep playoff run.

2025 - 2026 are the years

1 Like

I just don’t understand why people are even talking about extending Goff any time soon. I like Goff and think he’s the QB of the future in Detroit BUT he’s under contract for 23 & 24.

Let’s play out 23 and see where it goes. If he plays great and wins a SB, then fully let’s talk extension. If he plays great and Detroit wins a playoff game or 2, let’s talk extension. If his play drops in 2023 or has a season ending injury, then 2024 becomes a 1 year “prove it” deal.

We have WAY more important things to discuss as a team. We need to be talking about individuals that are current UDFA’s but can sign with their current team. We have a LOT of them and that’s where our focus should be.

6 Likes

You don’t understand homie. If you don’t agree, some will just attempt to hammer it into you head until you have no choice but to block them. I mean it’s ridiculous at this point. Going around in circles literally explaining the exact same thing. Seriously some people have a ridiculous need to be right. And they won’t stop until you concede. Shit I’ve conceded to a half a dozen posters just trying to end it and it’s still not enough.

You don’t listen or you ignore any point I make. Literally every time you respond to me it has little to nothing to do with what I’ve said.

My stance has always been you pay for very few QBs. I’ve said from the jump I would pay Mahomes, Allen, burrow, and probably Herbert, Lawrence as well. Never have I ever said you don’t ever pay for a QB.

If you want to compare Goff to Stafford using statistics be my guest. There is nothing comparable to these guys careers other than the jerseys they’ve worn and the sport they play.

End this with me now. You aren’t going to convince me it’s smart to give Goff an early extension. It is not happening. And It doesn’t matter what I say, you won’t or don’t care to listen anyway. Go have a endless back and forth with someone else….please

Good good. OK drama queen.

Channel 9 Christmas GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

1 Like

Playing Devil’s advocate here. Let’s say Goff takes a step back and we draft his replacement in 23 or 24. Is this a wise move?

He’s not being a drama queen…he’s just tired of literally going in circles with the same dumb ass argument

1 Like

I don’t think spending premium draft resources for a backup QB is a wise move for the 2023 offseason.

2 Likes

You just don’t know how to build a winning team.

Look at how well it panned out for Green Bay and tell me you don’t want to do it.

2 Likes

Per Brad and Co. If the right guy is there, is there a wrong time?

2 Likes

I would not be in favor of using a premium draft pick on a backup QB or backup Punter in the 2023 offseason. No matter what guy is there. Let me define it further. Looking at it specifically to the 2023 Lions the picks that become available for things like backup QB start at our first 2nd round pick. It would be our 3rd selection in the draft, its the middle of the round AND we still have another 2nd round pick coming after that (59).

Those two things aren’t mutually exclusive just so you know

‘step back’ a pretty vague statement. It wouldn’t be unwise necessarily. Nor necessarily wise, There’s a lot of variables though to just make a judgment about a nebulous concept now

I tend to think Holmes and Brad know what Goff brings and are planning around him being the franchise QB for the time. That’s why, to me, it makes sense to tie him up for the next five years and drafting his heir at some point around 2025

But of course it’s all fluid

Doesn’t matter…the shit is both redundant and dumb

1 Like

Shocked Oh My GIF by ABC Network

1 Like