Before we let Stafford off the hook

Not 0%. But on the bright side, not 40%. I’m not cool with the broad brush of “all QBs make mistakes” The issue is never that, but how many and how many unforced. Did you not see passes at critical times that should have been on target?

I just looked at passer rating from your link. Stafford is sitting at 16th and there are 2 more games to go, one of them has Brees in it.

Ahead of Stafford: Case Keenum with the Redskins against the Eagles D. Gardner Minshew coming in against the Chiefs when Foles got hurt. Dak Prescott with Kellen Moore calling plays. Jacoby Brissett…

He did beat out Andy Dalton, so there’s that…

Matt was above average with the exception of the last couple plays at the end of the game. Blame goes on the coaching staff too. Almost threw a pick in OT and a dump off to the RB on 4th down with 5 seconds to go? The Lions got lucky there was a flag. Change of possession stops the clock and Arizona could have kicked a FG to win the game. The throw down the field out of bounce was the correct call even though the game would end in a tie.

The majority of the blame goes on the coaching staff. First 3 quarters was pretty good. The flags, change in defense, timeouts,and booth reviews really messed up the rhythim.

First quarter wasn’t all that good, neither was the 3rd. But the 2nd quarter was lights out.

True, but I felt the flow of the game really changed in the 4th and OT. It almost felt like we were going to be screwed by some new rule.

While you’re rolling off stats, how many points did the offense score in the last three quarters of the game, (2nd half + OT)?

EDIT: Against possibly the worst team in the NFL, missing its starting two CBs?

1 Like

I see. So the folks that disagree with you are “just brushing off all QB mistakes.”
Thank you for clearing that up. Is that what you truly see? What if it’s not that black and white?
So do stats tell the entire story? Can people just cherry pick the stats that support your argument? Which metric do you deem more important, QB rating, or completion %? Would Keenum do better if placed in Matt’s position?

If you look at the 3 TD passes, those guys were so WIDE open. No one within 20 yards of Amendola. No one within 15 yards of Golladay. No one within 10 yards of Hockenson. Hockenson was wide open all day. The swing pass coming out of the backfield was available all day long. The Cardinals didn’t even bother to cover guys most of the game. To only get 3 TDs against that garbage defense doesn’t bode well for the Lions.
Stafford had Hockenson wide open for another TD but Hockenson had to make a circus catch on a throw behind him. I know many guys on here are big Stafford fans, but the difference between winning games and not winning games are poor throws like that. It was still a big gain, but a top QB puts the ball where Hockenson doesn’t have to break stride and it results in a TD.

I’m not saying Stafford sucks but he needs to be more accurate on those throws over 15 yards.

1 Like

This 100%

I will let Stafford off the hook in this one, with no problems. Sure he made mistakes, absolutely, but there were bigger culprits than him in this game.

Decker penalties stalled at least two drives, wiping out at least one first down run and I believe another first down play as well.

Instead of pointing at specific players and plays we will just point to the whole damn group. Defense giving up 18 points in the 4th quarter is a bigger problem in this game than Stafford’s performance.

But I know that doesn’t fit the agenda of many here.

3 Likes

(

How did the Lions lose? Ask Matt Patricia.

Lions early down play calls:

1st half: 54% pass
Results?
• 64% early down success %
• 4.0 yds to go on 3rd down

2nd half: 61% run
Results?
• 43% early down success %
• 9.9 yds to go on 3rd down
• 5 punts on first 6 drives of 2H

— Warren Sharp (@SharpFootball) September 9, 2019
)

1 Like

No. I’m saying that asserting a defense that applies to all QBs is not much of a defense. I was calling for more specificity, that’s all. I could, for example, defend Mike McMahon or Joey Harrington and say “He had some misses” Could I not?

Stats do not tell the whole story. Context matters, 100%.

You said “no matter what the metric is” So I looked. I clicked on rating, which is as comprehensive a stat as any up there on your link. So I have “rating” and “completion percentage” to answer to your “any metric” challenge.

Look before you leap.

Of course there were. But he’s the superstar. He needs to not make mistakes because everything does flow through him.

The defense was gassed and missing starters (Hand/Davis). The offense going 3 and out a lot also didn’t help that situation.

Sure, it was a team loss just like all the rest.

I am not interested in finding out who was the most to blame. Just because other people made bigger mistakes does not exonerate nor excuse Stafford’s mistakes. I’m not offering a remedy (“fire the bastard”) I’m just pointing out what I see. If you’re saying all the other mistakes made it impossible for Stafford to overcome, then fine. I may even agree, but all I’m saying is that there is plenty of blame to go to everyone, including Stafford. Kind of like saying “blame the whole damn group”, no?

1 Like

This. Accuracy has been a big issue. And football IS a game of inches.

When you pay a guy 15%+ of the cap, and he’s an 11 year vet who was selected #1 overall, it is not all that unreasonable to expect more from him than lesser players.

His coaches just humiliated him on national TV, not to mention his peers. Besides being pissed, he was looking over his shoulder because his coaches told him and the world that they don’t trust him.
I’d be asking for a trade if I were him.
It’s one thing when (the odd) fan doesn’t trust you, but, when your own coaches don’t? Time to move on and let them deal with someone they can trust!

They are all professional fb players and his performance was not the reason for this loss.

But knock yourself out it was your M.O., hyper focusing on Stafford and making excuses for others, on the other Den site and more of the same here.

The reason. What does that even mean? I don’t understand what you mean by “he wasn’t the reason”.

He was one of them. Maybe a small one, but one of them.

Unless you’re saying he had 0% fault. Is that what you’re saying?

I wouldn’t be focusing one bit on Stafford if I weren’t reacting to those who are trying to totally exonerate him.

I saw the completion % and Keenum right below him (looked) before I posted (leaped). Also knew you’d mention it before I posted.

A QB always has some fault. Rodgers and Brady, included. The offense flows through them. No QB is flawless, except maybe Brady last night.
Stafford is better than at least 20 QB’s in the league, and I think everybody knows that, and even the most critical number crunchers agree.
Do you think this will be a better team with some unknown QB?
I have to admit, I admire your faith… although, I have no idea what you have faith in.

1 Like

Master of word games you are, I will pass on playing your game.

Cheers

Should have clicked on rating.

110 rating is 16th now with 2 games to go.

Update: Deshaun Watson - 114.3 rating, so Stafford is now 17th this weekend.

2nd Update: Carr is 17/18, 1 TD so far. 127.8 rating halfway through the 3rd. Stafford could fall to 18.

2 Likes