Bevell calls Swift a super talented complete RB

I think both Okudah and Swift have ELITE burst and know how to use it. Okudah has ELITE size, ELITE hips with the ability to mirror and ELITE length. SWIFT has ELITE elusiveness. The other thing they share in common is they both have insanely high ceilings.

4 Likes

Who was it that was saying Swift wasn’t “elite” and was pooping on him b4 the draft when we were talking about RB’s?

do you know or just asking a random question?? I don’t recall many that were bashing Swift pre draft…

I recall a few people saying that Swift wasn’t “elite” at anything or have elite traits, I was wondering who those few posters were?

very well, I just don’t remember them—shocker huh lol.

Swift, IMO, was the best RB in this draft.

I’m more than happy to get him at #35.

It’s the 1st round pick I still have the most problems with.

1 Like

I think maybe this was what Yooperlion was poking fun at…it’s just everyone thought it was actually his same old crotchity take.

I think he should wear #35 on his jersey. Might have meaning to him and be a mental trigger to anchor him to success, who he is, what he is capable of, winning, etc.

1 Like

Cant wait to see dude play here, watched old highlights of great rbs billy barry walter lt smith dikerson mjd trying to see what backs running style I see . I really think his style is very close to lt hope his career ends up good high hopes I know, but I see some lt in there.

1 Like

I like Swift but I don’t think Yooper is far off. He does lack elite speed, quickness, contact balance, and doesn’t finish runs hard. He’s solid in everything, but not elite.
He does have a great ability to not take big hits. I’m hoping that translates well and he can stay healthy. I believe he’s great out of the backfield and will be a solid outlet in the passing game, but I think KJ is better between the tackles and has a better feel for finding the smallest crease to get positive yards. The problem is neither of them are gamebreakers but both are capable of moving the chains. I see Swift as an 800/800 (rushing/receiving yards) and part of a productive stable of backs. Is that good draft value? Probably not but I think he’s a sure thing with his background and production.

Some people can poke fun or be negative and some cannot. It’s all about being more equal than others. There are a priveleged few who get to decide that.

5 different opinions on Swift here. None use the term “elite.” A few terrifics and excellents.

I will take the comps to D Cook, Christian MCCaffery and Carnell Williams in the linked article. If he can meet or exceed those three Detroit will have something good for a while.

Bevell called him complete not Elite. There’s a difference.

However … I do recall a few saying he wasn’t a complete RB.

I don’t think you can call someone elite, before they ever play a down in the NFL.

I do think he will easily be top 10, if not top 5 RB.

The one he most reminds me of is Jacobs, from the Raiders. Very comparable in almost every way.
What I expect…Not quite as good as Jacobs at yards after contact…A little better than Jacobs at Shake’n’Bake (elusiveness).

Perfect fit, for our system. This will help the WRs a ton! Our screen game will range between very good and flat-out sick!

I do agree that Swift isn’t Bo Jackson, in terms of break-away speed, but he is very good. Teams will have to pay if they don’t key on him, muuuuuch different than KJ. This dude will break some big ones for scores.

I trust Bevell. Hope he can groom the OL quickly. There may be some growing pains early, due to new OL, and a weird covid offseason.

3 Likes

I can see that argument. Jacobs is a more punishing runner and Swift is more shifty. But I think it’s a fair comparison. I also think Swift is a better receiver.

So the question is can Swift put up the numbers Jacobs did?

I think he can - He comes out of a pro style offense that is known for making quality RB’s. After seeing what Chubb’s did his rookie year … I think Swift can match that.

As for the Elite status - I think he’s capable of being a top 5 RB in the NFL.

[quote=“Air2theThrown, post:56, topic:5681”]
So the question is can Swift put up the numbers Jacobs did?

Yup - Bevell is going to love it. He’ll create more Yards/touch, but not as many touches (just an educated guess)

WR/TE/OL health will factor in. If that’s reasonable, I look for Swift to be so much fun to watch. Dude will juice 'em for big chunks, much more than move the chains. I see him as a watered down Barry.

I think he has a great chance to stay healthy, because of his running style as well. Power backs don’t last in the NFL today

Swift is a superb talent with some Elite Traits …
Could Swift put up the numbers Jacobs did ? I think he has the has the talent to do so , but wont . Same for Chubb’s numbers …These guys were used as Bell Cows .

The only chance Swift has to put up similar numbers would be if KJ goes down because of health/injury and then Swift himself would need to stay healthy in KJ’s absence in order to do so …

Swift will be under appreciated here by fans … 50 to 60 yards a game rushing will be lauded as a waste …but when he is only getting 10 or 12 carries a game it will translate to very good production on a per carry basis

Swift’s situation and role will be very different than Jacobs or Chubb …

2 Likes

I think KJ’s chances of staying health are somewhere in the middle.
If I were forced to pick his numbers for this year…
750 rushing
600 receiving-ish

Yup, for sure.

2 Likes

How many elite talents were in the second round in 2020. ZERO. NO MORE THAN ZERO, NO LESS. Swift is not an elite talent. I like Swift. I like the pick. I like the fit. Swift is not an elite talent.
Any fan who watched Billy Sims and Barry Sanders has an idea what elite talent at the RB position is/looks like.
Taking it somewhat further, most people (even here) believe Okudah is not an elite talent. Some of us do (me included). My opinion doesn’t make it so. Richard Sherman was considered elite and he was way slower than Okudah is. Time will tell.
Would you take Swift or
C. McCaffery?
S. Barkley?
D. Henry?
A. Kamara?
Elite would be what percentile? Those are not the only four you would pick before Swift. There are arguably two or maybe three rookies who might be better. Taylor, Edwards - Helaire and Dobbins.
Just saying. He did one thing better than any back in the draft. Catch the football.

1 Like