Biggest 2023 Impact Mock Draft

Like in Carolina? Maybe JSN (tri-annual WR), Bijan (generational RB) Washington (generational TE probably need to trade up), then an OG maybe Avila it’s not often you find one that can run a 4.6 40.

I think they discussed whether or not Bijan was on the board for #6 prior to free agency. He might still be in play at #18 for BPA but not at #6 IMO. Once they decided they weren’t going to take him at 6, then they made the offer to Jamaal. Once Jamaal balked at that offer, they went after Montgomery.

Any other scenario wouldn’t be logical.

2 Likes

Oh if agree at 6, im talking 18, though i have my doubts he lasts to 18

1 Like

This seems like that “draft hype” you were referencing before.

Last year receptions:

ARSB = 106
Raymond = 47
Chark = 30
Reynolds = 38
Marvin Jones = 46

Replace Jamo with Chark and you have our starting 5. I’d guess another 100 receptions for ARSB. I think we all expect Jamo to get the 2nd most receptions so let’s say 75. We run a lot of 2 TE sets so only 2 WR on the field for a good share of our plays.

I just can’t see taking a WR at #6 overall. A once in a generation talent, yes. JSN isn’t that. He is just a good WR in this particular class.

1 Like

He did put up points in carolina… but you cannot use that game as an example when half of the players on both teams complained about conditions pregame. The ground was so hard it was like playing on concrete. Zero traction. They were more worried about getting hurt in that game than anything. There was a huge ordeal made about it to the league.

His short shuttle and 3 cone speeds are more like 1 in every 5 drafts level prospect. Plus he is the best route runner in the last 2 drafts.

Actually so far Brad has been about drafting elite athletes at high-value positions, of which RB is not.

Sounds to me like both teams had to play in the same conditions, so it would be fair to use that game as an example. Build a great offense and score lots of points, but defense wins championships - just an opinion.

This thread is about who what picks would be most impactful in year one - it’s all speculative. For me, the extra 150 yards on the season Bijon would gain over ________ won’t make as big a difference as Carter, Nolan Smith, etc. As for JSN, I like him a lot, but he would be a distant 4th/5th for me behind Carter, Smith, Anderson and probably a step ahead of Wilson.

1 Like

Im speaking to Holmes words specifically, in which he said bpa not need. He went further talking about you never know yr to yr what needs will be, so they draft the bpa and will find room for them even at a supposed position of strength.

As to RB, ive yet to hear him say no rb in the first rd.

Right and it’s a small sample size, so it could still change. But so far Brad has zeroed in on elite athletes at high-value positions more than any GM in the league. It’s all right there in that link.

And of course he hasn’t said he won’t draft RB, he hasn’t said he won’t draft anyone. No GM is gonna straight up say anything like that.

1 Like

I don’t think we can say what he will or won’t do based on the trends of his 2 previous drafts. The roster was so depleted of talent that every position was a need. The only trend I see is that they take good football players. If the guy had a great combine but the tape shows he is just not a good football player we will not be very high on him.

He said it will always be that way. You draft bpa not to fill needs, they can be the same with the right player, but again, bpa even at a position of strength

I agree 100% with that. I just also think the qualifier “at high-value positions” is on the end of it.

1 Like

Every GM says they are going to take the BPA in the draft. They reach for a player that was projected to go 2 rounds later and they say he was the BPA on our board. I’m sure Belichek said that last year when they took that G in the 1st round. Nobody saw that coming and Bill was the only one who saw him as the BPA at that point in the draft.

I think they truly believe that’s what they’re doing. Plus Bill took Sony Michel, N’Keal Harry, Malcom Brown, Dominique Easley, Brandon Meriweather, Lawrence Maroney, Logan Mankins in the first and Tyquan Thornton, Joejuan Williams, Jimmy G., Duke Dawson, Jordan Richards Chad Jackson, Ron Brace, Jermaine Cunningham, and Tavon Wilson in the 2nd, waaaaay before anyone had them going. He truly does have a different board from everyone else.

I agree but it was a position of need for them. Need is a factor but to what degree we don’t know yet. I’m sure the Bengals will not take a QB in the 1st round because it is not a position of need. How far Brad pushes this concept we will find out. Now if we go in here and draft OTs at 6 and 18 I will believe every word he says. Until then I will think he is just saying what he is supposed to say and he is just holding his cards vet close to his chest and doing it very well.

Sure and more often than not need and BPA line up. But I think there’s far more examples of teams drafting guys at positions that don’t look like crying needs than the opposite. Like when they took Michel, or if they were to take Bijan this year like the rumors say they might.

But to me it’s more a result teams having far more needs than the general public believes. The dire needs are easy to spot, but to some extent I think upwards of 90% of rosters have some level of need all over the place. The NFL just changes so, so frequently. Just go back and look at the rosters from as little as 3 years ago. Most of them are 50% overturned.

1 Like

Exactly, just look at the roster changeover yr to yr.

1 Like

Well i can’t argue either way at this point, guess we’ll have to play the waiting game, lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 240 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.