GM Premium Draft Trends

Came across this article, thought you guys would love this.

6 Likes

That is a cool chart, shows some of what @Davicus had unearthed, Brad loves him some athletes at high value positions. Which to me is great, best way to build a team.

3 Likes

:100: he’s been nailing it, another masterclass incoming this draft and our SB window 24-26 I believe.

That was excellent, thank you for posting.

1 Like

I’m gonna pull out the chart for further discussion:

What that’s saying is Brad drafts premium positions with premium picks at the second-highest clip over his tenure, and cares the most about a players’ RAS, and second-most about their age. Just look at all that pretty blue.

2 Likes

It’s also very interesting what Scott Fitterer and Carolina doing too. According to that chart very similar to Brad Holmes, and you look at how they set up their staff and add on that they tried hiring Ben Johnson… They’re on the rise and making smart decisions, next year they’ll have a lot money to spend too

Yeah he was another one that stood out with lots of blue. Of course he’s got at least one pick in Matt Corral who doesn’t qualify for RAS, but he probably would have tested pretty well.

I wonder if he differs from Brad re: PFF grade or wanting football guys. Terrace Marshall looks like a miss by them and I don’t think we would have drafted him based on his attitude (I think he actually skipped games his final year at LSU but could be wrong about that).

Holmes comment by author below the graph, small sample size:

Brad Holmes (Lions) surprisingly has the highest % of capital spent on premium positions (76%), but has only been a part of 2 drafts. He has drafted the most athletic players weighted by draft capital.

I haven’t explored the site beyond the chart and comment on Holmes.

What do they define as a premium position, does it include OL or is more like skilled positions?

This makes me happy. Glad to see I wasn’t way off base with my data.

4 Likes

It actually says it right below the chart but I couldn’t squeeze it into my screenshot:

LOL, oops.
I literally skimmed for Detroit and GB, then the post chart comments looking for Holmes and left.

Thank you

1 Like

I disagree on Terrance Marshall I think this year he’s gonna ball out, didn’t get enough opportunities, and I know Carolina didn’t want to give up DJ Moore but them doing that shows they have trust in Marshall and he’s one of my breakout players for next season.

:100: can’t wait to see what you got coming for us on here

He may, and you’re not alone I know he has other fans on here. I just don’t think he’s much of a professional. Maybe he’s matured and comes good, he’s got the athleticism for it for sure. But I still doubt Brad would have drafted him, I don’t think he’d get behind this attitude:

1 Like

You guys are likely right, and this chart is likely on to something, but with only 2 drafts under his belt, there’s still a good chance that it’s to small a sample size. Like when a rookie hits 11 hrs in his first 100 plate appearances.
However, I don’t see how trend goes backward. They told us their vision, and they haven’t wavered from what I can tell.

Very cool article thanks for posting!

So you’re saying that with QB the most premium position, we’ll welcome RAS king Anthony Richardson if he survives to #6.

No topic is more than 3 degrees from Anthony Richardson… :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

For sure it’s a small sample size which is why I won’t guarantee Brad doesn’t draft Bijan. But at the same time I’d be very, very surprised.

2 Likes

Does it define what the “premium picks” are?

1 Like