Biggest need for 2023?

Defensive tackle. Corner. OG. Safety.

I would really like the lions to double dip on corner early. Grab one in the first and w one of the seconds.

I do think they draft a LB. I’d love them to take a rb as well like @LineBusy said. I’m over the best/swift style of lead back……put swift at what he was always meant to be a 3rd down back. Least he plays that way.

If carter is gone I don’t really know what they would prioritize first……but man. Jalen carter makes this defense a top 15 just w his addition alone.

4 Likes

More good players. That’s what we need.

3 Likes

Just curious if you heard anything to how they may approach FA. We are not flush with cap room, but we are in a good position. I do believe the #1 priority should be retaining our own FA’s, but hoping we can plug a couple holes in FA as well.

Since you asked so directly I’ll answer directly. :grinning:I’ve tried to hint without really saying it in precious threads. Only thing I’ve heard is that there is a belief that Brad doesn’t like to chase FA and would rather build through the draft. It came up bc I was asking about Payne in FA. It causes a little panic amongst the people who’s are fans bc at the time we were 1-6 and some of the rookies and 2nd year guys hasn’t stepped up as much. So the sense I get and it could be wrong but the focus might be on middle tier and vets (rashean Mathis types) to coach and help the young guys. We are such a young team having good vets would be important. I can also say my one buddy has been going to the Florida games and they love a few players down there and it’s not just AR15 due diligence. I do think another lb and OG are taken in the draft.

Cominsky was quite the find by the front office. He’s played far beyond anything that was expected.

Noticed that Cominsky no longer had the cast/club on his hand. He made a big play on the failed XP try nailing Thielen.

The needs are clear as day. CB and a DT to pair with McNeil.
One can say LB but that position is less important

1 Like

I saw someone mention this before and hoped this wasn’t the case. I definitely agree you don’t build a team in FA ala the 2022 Jags or 2021 Patriots. With that said it is extremely important to supplement in FA. The Lions window officially starts in 2023, IMO. Not adding any key free agents and sticking to just building through the draft would be a mistake. That doesn’t mean splurge on Payne for 20milAAV, but that does mean we need to find a couple dependable starters in FA.

From the people you are connected too, were we really in the running for Allen Robinson and Marcus Williams last year or was that all BS. If we were, that would fly in the face of Holmes not wanting to spend in FA.

I need to book a room for the Super Bowl. I haven’t done that yet and I don’t want to wait until everything is sold out. That’s the biggest need for 2023.

3 Likes

DT is first pick if Carter is there because there is a dropoff from there. CB class has some really good options. If Carter is gone I trade down if at all possible, should be able to pickup Bresee or Dexter and still get a top CB in a trade scenario. Lot’s of choices for LB’s and OG’s/OL in the second. If we can get 2 starters and 2 rotation guys out of the first 2 rounds, huge win.

1 Like

Yep. The other reason I wanted to Mayhew to draft Donald is because he was the best DT I had ever seen play college football.

I think Elliot has been decent. I don’t think he hurts us but I also don’t think he elevates us. Too me - in a perfect world your CB’s cover well freeing up your safeties to be play makers. Obviously we need more CB help. Kirby has been and will get better at being a playmaker. Having a SS close to line impacting the same way would be really nice.

Yep, I think so too! Elliot is a free agent, and Walker tore his achilles, he may never play again. Kerby is the only starting safety under contract for next season.

Jacobs and Okudah are 2 corners, but we play with 5 DB’s the majority of the time. You need at least 3 good corners.

DT is up there too! Buggs is decent, but we could for sure upgrade that spot.

3 Likes

All That And A Bag Of Chips GIF - All That And A Bag Of ...

erection GIF

1 Like

That’s where I’m at now except I wouldn’t mind going DB with both our 1st round picks, especially after a trade down.

Our pass defense would improve immensely with 2 of these 4 CB’s on the roster. Ringo, Gonzalez, Johnson, Porter.

1 Like

What I am hoping is this is the beginning of a ravens Steelers kind of regime. And from the logic of how they are building that’s what they are trying to do. They aren’t screaming themselves long term for short term success. But like I said, when your 1-6 it’s really hard to believe that the coaches are capable of building up the players. That being said, I stopped doubting them a long time ago……

1 Like

I would go Carter with the Rams pick if he is there. A pass rushing 3T would put this D-line on another level.

2 Likes

For sure, doubt he’s still there though.

1 Like

Toughing it out

Outside of missing the Thanksgiving game while in concussion protocol, Sunday marked cornerback Jeff Okudah’s lowest playing time percentage of the season. He finished the day logging just 27 defensive snaps as he shuffled in and out of the lineup against the Vikings.

Okudah wasn’t hurt, but he was dealing with the lingering impact of an illness that held him out of practice much of the week.

“Yeah, listen, it was a heck of a job by him just trying to gut it out,” Campbell said. “He didn’t have a ton of energy coming off what he did, but he went out there and tried to compete.”

Officially, Okudah was targeted just once in coverage, conceding a 10-yard reception to Justin Jefferson, who otherwise went off for a career-high 223 yards in the game.

Additionally, Okudah was flagged twice, once for a late hit near the sideline and again for pass interference in the end zone. But he also made one of the game’s critical defensive plays, a fourth-down tackle that forced a change of possession in the opening quarter.

“It was a huge stop,” Campbell said. “That was an unbelievable play, fourth-and-one, for him to get in there.”

The coach said he expects Okudah to be closer to full strength this week as the Lions prepare for a road matchup with the New York Jets.

DT, ROG, ILB, CB, RB. In order of need.