Biggest need for 2023?

The needs most of us agree on are DT and CB. Problem is much depends on where we pick. if we can get Carter or Anderson that would make Holmes 1st pick very easy. IF he can’t, do we want the second best DE or DT.
Say we pick 5th, I don’t want a QB. It is to high for a CB or S. and OT is not a high priority. No WR is worthy and it doesn’t offer value for a RB or TE certainly not G. I might take Myles Murphy but not excited about anyone else projected in the top 10 because of the positions they play. There are 4 good corners that I think go in the 11-20 range so a slight trade down would be ok and get an extra 2nd or 3rd. Picks 5-10 are NICE but not overly exciting in this draft.

IF our 1B is late teens or early 20’s (fall short of playoffs) and Bijan is still on the board you have to do it. He has AP type qualities. I know RB doesn’t have the positional value it used to with so much RB by committee. BUT add him in with the guys we have on the OL (keep Williams for on and off field value and goal line) and we control the ball with the run game. with our WR group and that RB stable you just abuse the opposition D all day long. With the new CBA (picks are cheaper) and Swift being a FA the following year adding a superior RB isn’t a bad deal. Score 35 a game with a rested defense and anything is possible

2 Likes

I think our biggest need is a DT than can clog up the middle and rush the passer. If Jalen Carter is there with the Rams pick, it’s a no brainer.
Next biggest need for me is a missile LBer. Would be perfect if someone like Clemson’s Thompson, Alabama’s To’o To’o or Texas’ Overshown, whoever is good value at that spot. Would love Sewell’s brother but might not be a great fit for the defense.
The player I think we might grab with our first round pick if we don’t go D is RB Bijan Robinson. Adding him to this Offense would put them over the top. There is a need for RB as well with Williams a little older and a free agent and Swift seeming like not the greatest fit for the way the team wants their backs to play.
Then lastly the 4th need I think is an interior offensive lineman. Jackson is great and when healthy Ragnow is amazing, but he’s been in and out the last few seasons. Not sure we can really rely on him for a full season anymore and Evan Brown is a free agent. One more really solid Guard would solidify the OLine for years.

Well Jack Fox isn’t that good and clearly needs to be replaced…so how bout them Pistons?

LOL - If ya reax PFF
I banned them for life after that.
(Not joking at all, BTW)

Lol you know that comment was just for you right? In all seriousness I would go DT, Boundary CB, and the Hybrid S/Nickel that I know a lot people wanted last year(Jalen Pitre, Daxton Hill).

1 Like

Haha! Yup - love it!
I want DT
RB & LB (comparable importance)
…with improvement of Jackson, who was a brilliant pickup by Holmes, I’m not gonna freak out if we don’t get a RB, but with Swift coming up the next year it would be an emergency situation. Our OL is not as game-changing without a RB… & that helps the passing game as well.

1 Like

Yeah I agree about RB. I feel like we need to make a move torwards the future there and I’m not sure if they see Swift as part of that future although I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him lately. At LB there’s a couple guys I like in the mid to late rounds.

1 Like

:100: This

Carter and a CB

If I remember right PFF had Fox graded as the leagues best punter 2020 and 2021

…& 30th this year.
…maks perfect sense.

blame Dan. Early in the year he kept robbing Fox of the best punting opportunities. Plus the offense has been good at scoring and keeping him on the bench.

So it was a smaller than normal data set. I expect the grade to go up the more kicks he gets. He didn’t suddenly become a bad kicker

…for what? Winning games?
See, Dan is not counting on stats. Stats won’t win games. Use your weapons in the best way to win… Our “punter” isn’t just a punter…he runs a 4.4., was an all state QB, can make tackles, has a very nice arm, great accuracy, & touch.

Eyeball test vs stats.
How many terrible snaps has he saved already this year? I wanna say four or five?

Again, when you use criteria that you hold dear …you have effectively picked wha you think is important to you (cherry picked what you want to count as important)

Stats will never measure intangibles. Could give dozens of examples where stats are useless.
I will never care what any pundit ranks our guys at (including our coach)…I’ll use the eyeball test.

According to stats…we have a very below average coach.
According to my eyeballs…we have teh best coach in the NFL

According to stats…we have the 30th best “Punter in the NFL”
According to my eyeballs…we have the best ever → literally

1 Like

Interesting year for RBs in UFA……

I would not be shocked if we double up on CB. That will depend on FA but I think we could take 2 in rd one. Remember the are pricey FA good CB’s so why not add two high draft picks for next 5 years.

rd 1 first pick Joey Porter Jr. CB | Penn State 6’2" 191 lbs
rd 1 second pick Christian Gonzalez CB | Oregon 6’2" 201 lbs

We would be set for years barring serious injury which can happen to any player.

Well I don’t control PFF. I was just pontificating as to why they dropped the grade

You’re welcome of course to whatever opinion you want to have and for whatever reasons you harbor them

Depending on where the Rams pick falls…
and who is on the board when Lions are on the clock…
I wouldn’t rule this out.

Turning a weakness into a strength can be a game chnager for a team!

Still hope to land Jalen Carter or Will Anderson though…

1 Like

Haha. I’m super-thankful to have your permission to my opinion

Sony Thank You GIF by Zombieland

I’m not trying to influence anyone’s opinion…just giving mine.
I’m not about arguing/ debating/ Drama/ etc.
None of my biz what others think/see. Just speaking my truth

I’ll take our “worst punter in the league” over the 31 that are better than him. LOL

Ok well thanks for the sarcasm. I was just trying to discuss it objectively. :man_shrugging:t3:

I hate investing too heavily into one position group in the draft because if becomes difficult to retain players down the road. If everything works out, we will have big money to commit to Jameson and St Brown in a few years. Drafting another WR high this year would mean that all there contracts would be up in the same couple off seasons. It forces you to let go of good players as it’s not good to commit big money to one position group, IMO.

just having fun, man