Bijan Robinson is just killing it

I made the same argument last week. If Goff is our guy and the goal is to augment his play then Bijan is the most proven way to unlock peak Goff bc we’ve seen the effect that an all three downs superstar RB can have.

5 Likes

Bijan is a better RB prospect than Gurley though (IMO).

I think Bijan is the best RB prospect since AD in 2007.

5 Likes

Better than Saquon?

Because I’d take Saquon top 15 given the chance.

1 Like

Much IMO. Saquon was/is stiff and robotic at times IMO.

Barkley is faster but Robinson is plenty fast and a significantly better tackle breaker. Bijan’s fluidity allows him to be split out and run a diverse route tree. If you designed a 2023 NFL RB in a lab he’d be something like Bijan.

3 Likes

I was totally against using a high pick on a RB, and I’m not sure that has changed. I posted this because the guy was “let loose” in the 2nd half and he didn’t disappoint. My wishy/washy opinion now is that IF Anderson and Carter are gone, and IF we can trade down and get another first and second this year, then I’m OK going after Bijan. BTW, DeMarvion Overshown was all over the field yesterday, had 7 solo, 7 assists, a sack and 2 passes defended. Former safety, I have him as a late 2nd rounder.

2 Likes

Pass on Bijan. He’s a 1st round pick. I don’t want the Lion’s to spend a 1st rounder on a RB

Any damage we are possibly going to do under Dan and Holmes will happen in the next 5 years. There is no reason to look beyond that.

So if Bijon is a Gurley level game breaker, position shelf life shouldn’t matter. But if you don’t believe Bijon is that guy, that is certainly a great reason to avoid taking him early.

4 Likes

If you want to ride with Goff. You need to have a stud in the back field. Long way to the draft. Risers and fallers will be happening, we still don’t know were our draft picks will fall, trades up and down the board can happen, free agency will have its effect on the draft. But its very possible the Lions could get Robinson with a high draft pick and still get some high end defensive help. Its fun to talk about and speculate , right now all possibilities are open.

1 Like

What if Detroit decides to NOT sign Williams to a new contract ?? I don’t think that’s likely as he is a team captain, but business is business. If he signs elsewhere, I could easily see us drafting a “work horse” type RB.

If we sign Williams, I’m possibly interested in the kid from Syracuse, Sean Tucker (if he comes out) in the later rounds. Has legit speed.

For me it’s either Bijan or Corum. But not in the first rd.

He needs one more great draft. I’ve seen too many Lions teams have one good draft and it makes a difference but two or three drafts in a row builds a champion. So far, I really like his picks. Especially his day 2 and 3 picks.

3 Likes

Sewell, St Brown, McNeil, is a pretty good draft in its own right. Throw in guys like Jerry Jacobs (potential starter) and Brock Wright (excellent cheap depth) who have solid futures in this league. Barnes is looking like a good rotational piece at worst which to me is a hit for a 4th rounder. Obviously the jury is still out on Levi and Melifonwu. But even if they bust he still had a very good draft.

4 Likes

I’m torn. I love watching the kid run, and in a lot of cases I’m kind of say draft position be damned if the player is special.

But we need D.

I guess what it really comes down to is if they go stud on D with the Rams pick and BR is sitting there at say - somewhere between 17 and 23 - are any of us really going to complain if Holmes pulls the trigger? It’s not like he doesn’t have a bag full of picks left and he has shown he’s no stranger to finding defensive help from the 2nd round on.

1 Like

I actually had a dream a few days ago that the Lions drafted a RB with their first pick and the Den melted down and I was debating the reasoning behind it.

When I woke up I wasn’t sure if it was a dream or nightmare.

3 Likes

“Our RB1 can’t stay on the field longer than 3 games at a time so we need a new one.”

I’ve heard a lot worse arguments than that, so as devil’s advocate you make a fair point.

3 Likes

“that’s what she said.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Not necessarily because the endorsement money would presumably improve when a well known prospect reaches the NFL’s national stage.

1 Like

I feel like we are going to be tying up a to. If resources on offense if we take a RB high. We already have big contracts committed to Ragnow, Big V, Decker and Goff. St Brown is going to be due soon, along with Jackson and then Sewell.

I personally would not be mad if we took Robinson, but I would t advocate for it. He would likely have a bigger year 1 impact than almost any other player though.

1 Like

If we pick 20th and Bijan is there I’d be taking him. Easily one of the five most impactful players in the draft. At pick 20 his contract will be 4 yrs and 15/16m. That would put his annual contract value at 19th in the league.

3 Likes

That’s the kind of logic that makes sense to me.

I understand the moneyball / positional value play, but that can get taken too far, to the point where a great player becomes undervalued. Zig while everyone else is zagging.

I’m not saying that Bijan is that guy necessarily, but I’d have no problem scooping him up in the mid-to-late first if he is, especially with having the Rams pick to address another position.

1 Like